intro!

Laura2112
on 10/2/11 5:12 am - Austin, PA
 Hi there, 
I have been lurking here for a while, and thought it would be about time to introduce myself. 
I am sick of all this extra weight, and at 48, I have decided I am done with it! I haven't tpically let my weight slow me down, but with the addition of yet another 40 lbs over the last 4 years, it is getting in my way!

I started my diet documentation in May and my last one will be Oct. 18th. I met with my surgon and he said, "hey, what about a Sleeve?", well I was pretty set on RNY, so I was very dismissive. Since then I have been researching and all, and hey WHAT about a Sleeve! 'I have done all my other test, attended support groups, etc. I would love to get this done this year, but just can't wait to get it done!

Thanks for all the great info, and wonderful support you all show!

-Laura

5'2" HW: 282.2 SW 247.80 
Lynnww666
on 10/2/11 5:20 am - Canada
Welcome to the group... and well done making this decision. Aging does make a difference. I also never let my weight stop me but in my 50s it just started to get painful!
Sleeves rock by the way. Had mine end of July. Down 33 lbs. and feeling SOOOOOO much better.
Good luck with it all.
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

kimbethin
on 10/2/11 5:21 am - CA
Welcome Laura!  I was set on a band and I'm so happy I listened to the doc and got the sleeve instead.  Thursday will be my 3 month post-op check up and I had a what have I done moment the night of the surgery but not one regret since then!  Good luck to you!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 5:35 am
Hi Laura,
I think you are wise to look closely at the sleeve.  I would choose it in almost every case over the RNY.  You might also want to do a little research into your surgeon.  How many sleeves has he done?  What are his stats for weight loss and maintenance with the sleeve?  What is the aftercare program like?  How big of a sleeve does he make?  There are a number of questions that need to be answered to your satisfaction in order for you to maximize your experience.  I think you are on the right track.
MS_MOX
on 10/2/11 6:31 am - CA
 Hey There Laura, 
 I am 5 days post op from the sleeve and I feel great and have no regrets. It took me 4 years to get here  between insurance changes and getting bumped out of the program. I am with Kaiser and they did not offer the sleeve at the time I started. So when my company swithced insurance  I went to another hospital and that is when I was introduced to the sleeve. I was immediately draw to it because it did not have the malabsorption of the RNY  or the food restrictions.  Then the new insurance didnt cover it. Then after fighting with the insurance for a year my company swithced back to Kaiser .I asked them about the sleeve and they said theya re still not doing it. So I started the program again but got frustrated and didnt follow thru .Then finally another 2 years later I got serious and they put me thru the program again and Kaiser was then offering the sleeve.  i was so pleased and worked my butt off to lose the 30 pounds i had to loses prior to surgery .
The doctor had told me all along that this is only a tool not a cure and that it takes a great deal of my participation to maintain and acheive success. That is why I chose the sleeve because in the long run I want to live as normal as possible and I didnt feel the other options let you do that.Though they are all great tools you just have to figure out which tool you will be better at using.Good luck stay positiveand live outloud, don't lurk. We are all out here to help. listen and share.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views