Diarrhea after drinking protein shakes, why???

Shana16
on 10/2/11 6:07 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I have been drinking different brands of shakes now for 6 months.  I can drink milk with out having any kind of problems. About 20 minutes after drinking my shakes (made with milk). I get diarrhea and some times I also get very hot and sweaty. I get sweaty  and a runny noes if I over eat or drink to fast.
Can you please tell me what are the foamies?
Thanks for the help...    

LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

Carly ~
on 10/2/11 6:19 pm, edited 10/2/11 6:22 pm
Slime is excess saliva (hyper-salivation) and mucus that your body produces to help lubricate and dissolve excess or stuck food. 
If it is full of air bubbles, it's foamy.
Slime happens when food blocks the stomach, and it is not digesting properly. It can't digest and pass through, so it comes back up out of your mouth with the assistance of saliva and mucus -- in the form of spit-up, drool and/or vomit.
You will first spit up the saliva/mucus either slimy or foamy, that you were swallowing that will not pass through to help with digestion. Then you may continue to let go of whatever you ate that was causing it.
Most of the time it is because we ate too fast, or too much, or the wrong kinds of food.

The vagus nerve that runs from your brainstem to your colon -- could be causing hiccups, running nose or sneezing as a signal that you are full or have had that one last bit too much.  It supplies nerve fibers to the pharynx (throat), larynx (voice box), trachea (windpipe), lungs, heart, esophagus, and intestinal tract as far as sthe transverse portion of the colo.  The vagus nerve also brings sensory information back to the brain from the ear, tongue, pharynx, and larynx. 

Here's a great article with information on the vagus nerve:
http://www.myweightlosssurgeryblog.com/2011/06/27/why-a-runny-nose-and-sneezing-may-signal-overeating/

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 7:45 pm
as with myself i cant not have anything with whey protein. it is called being whey protein intolerant. You might be like myself and was not born with the enzymes in you intestines to break down large amounts of different proteins.
Jennifer S.
on 10/3/11 1:02 am
I had the exact same problem for the last week.  I could tolerate yogurt, cheese, milk, but not my protein shakes.  That certainly makes it a bit hard to get all our grams of protein in!  

At the advice of my doctor, I switched brands and types of protein.  I went from Nectar Syntrax which is whey based to a soy based protein.  I loved the Nectar and was very reluctant to give it up.  My doc said that sometimes after surgery, there is some lactose or protein intolerance that may resolve or may stick around.  So, after a few days off the whey protein, I tried it again... and I tolerated it just fine!

Jennifer

Shana16
on 10/3/11 3:40 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I forgot to say that I have been drinking them for 6 months now and have just starting having diarrhea after drinking them.  I Bing the  and asked the same  question and on Yahoo, read the your body can only handle so much protein at a time and what it does not need it will get rid of it. So I was doing Muscle Milk with 16g protein and then tried Pure Protein at 25g.
Could that be part of why I have diarrhea or maybe because I keep changing my shakes?
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views