post surgery liquid diet

mandyc1975
on 10/4/11 4:28 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
I'm 2 weeks out today and I still have a week to go on liquids. Did anyone get creative and blend and thin anything that was better than broth.
I thought about slow cooking some beans and straining some juice but maybe there's too much gas in that, I just don't know.
Please help, I'm desparate!
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Mr-Smith
on 10/4/11 4:47 am, edited 10/4/11 4:48 am - Hillsdale, MI
I have done real well with using my blender to blend up Amys organic soups.  Watch the labels and stay away from anything with meat in them, high fat or carbs.  I then add in some unflavored whey protien to up the protien and depending on the soup, thin with skim milk and strain.  WIth a good blender you wont strain a lot out.  This gives me veggies, fiber and protien in a tasty meal.  I had the black bean veggie, thinned with tomoato soup and added whey protien today for lunch.  Be sure it runs off the spoon like milk. I can start Phase III tomorrow so I have been going a little thicker the last few days.

Yes, the beans will give you gas. 

Another option is put some cottage cheese in the blender and blend till smooth, add some skim milk to thin.

Some like yogurt thinned with skim milk.  Not me, never been a yogurt fan no matter how hard I try. 

I only do one shake a day, the rest I get from blended soups/whey protien.  Now, I'm not trying to control carbs yet, I figure healing is more important right now thier still less then 70grams.  But once Phase III hits, that will change.

Oh, don't forget V8 juice in small amounts.  My Nut wanted to be sure I had balanced meals, she said the tendency is to stack up on all protien and the veggies get neglected.

I had a recent meal of blended cottage cheese about 1/4 cup, about an oz of organic unsweetened apple sauce and an Oz of V8 juice. 

Just some ideas, not sure if they are all complient with your doctors plan, I would recommend staying on that plan.

abrown8434
on 10/4/11 6:46 am - VA
Yes I did and it didn't hurt me. I got Wendy's chili and add the soup part and sometimes a few beans and meat. I have even had a few bites of crackers and meat liquidfied in a blender w/broth (like a soupy stew).

I was getting hungry and those cream of soups and broths weren't cutting it (even with unflavored protein added). I know it was close to the mush foods stage but I couldn't wait!!!

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

watchmenow
on 10/4/11 8:40 am
I wouldn't do anything my doctor did not tell me to do.  My doctor progressed me today.  Still, I could only eat less that 1/2 egg.  The problem with progressing is that we are used to over eating and you can easily overload your sleeve.  I personally wouldn't do beans because of gas. (Thank God I got rid of that gas!!!)  Be careful.
  I like calling North Carolina home!!!  Go Tarheels!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 253 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views