I must be doing something wrong

C. Champion
on 10/12/11 12:59 am - Minneapolis, MN
I am 2 months post op as of Monday. The first month I lost 24 lbs, this second month I have lost 6 lbs. I had a stall for 2 weeks, but shouldnt I still have lost more weight!! I am happy I am loosing but just thought it would still be going down faster at only 2 months.

On a typical day I am always under 600 cals. I get in all my fluids with G2 gatoraide and water or Crystal light. I go between 45-60 gms protein, my carbs sometimes are over 40 depends on if I have 2 gatoraids in a day, I just am not sure what im doing wrong.

For example yesterday, I had one 32oz gatoraide and two 20oz bottles of water
breakfast was one egg scrambled in water with a teaspoon of margarine and an 1/8th cup of low fat cottage cheese for breakfast.
Lunch was left overs from the night before which was 1oz of beef tenderloin grilled and 1/4 cup green beans and a tablespoon of rice pilaf
I had a beef stick and string cheese for a snack later in the day
and then dinner was the same as lunch.
Any suggestions?
Normally I wont even have carbs with meals I wont eat potatoes anymore and I rarely have rice anymore and hardly ever have pasta and if I do its no more than an 1/8 of a cup. Mostly my lunch and dinner is just meat and a vegetable. Snacks are always string cheese or beef stick.
I dont know what to do, I do know that my exercise is lacking but its hard for me to walk because of arthritis.
Please some advice!!
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

USAF Wife
on 10/12/11 1:09 am
I think you are doing FABULOUS ! ! ! You've already lost 27% of your excess weight in just 2 months. A lot it is just your body adjusting, and trying to figure out what is going on. I don't think you're doing anything wrong in all honesty.

Don't be hard on yourself, just keep pushing fluids and protein ! ! ! 30lbs in 2 months is amazing, and it'll keep dropping. You could be losing inches as well so the scale might not reflect the big changes.

If you haven't already, I always recommend taking measurements and was so mad at myself for not doing it pre-op. But, measure your neck, bust line, waist, hips, upper thigh, and calves and then remeasure when the scale doesn't move  a bunch.

Don't fret, you're doing fabulous ! ! !
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

BriarRose
on 10/12/11 1:13 am
Is the gatorade low calorie ? I don't drink sweet drinks, so I have no idea if it is full of sugars or not. I would check out the ingredients.

For me, eat more protein at lunch and dinner -- I would increase my protein to 2 oz and decrease the vegies to get in enough protein. Frankly I think you are way low on your protein, and this isn't good for you.

For me, I eat two lunches a day -- 2oz of protein at about 1pm and then again at around 3:30 or 4pm. If I'm not in the office, I carry a couple lo fat baby bel cheeses in a little cooler with a bottle of cold water. I am careful about prepared beef sticks because of the high sodium and of all the additives that are in it -- I find that prepared foods have too many chemicals and additives and those cause me to hold onto or even gain weight. (example; the three times I've eaten a hot dog (all beef without the bun) I gained 2 pounds and it took three days to get it to come off!)

Try increasing your simple proteins, cutting carbs down to what is in the fresh fruit and vegies you consume, and see what that does.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Leah66
on 10/12/11 1:13 am - Maple Shade, NJ
 It sounds like your doing everything you should, however I noticed you drink Gatorade, I was taught to avoid sports drinks altogether because they contain salt which can cause fliud retention, I only drink water, Crystal Light, Mio, decaffienated tea, diluted fruit juice and skim milk. I know the advice we get from nutritionists can vary, you may want to ask yours about this.
Leah66        
Happy966
on 10/12/11 1:28 am

I want to echo that you have done great!  I think it was Brandilynn that said we were an experiment of one!  We are each so individual, we cannot judge our progress by how much other people lose in the same amount of time.  Even though I'm always tempted!!

I tell myself something every day:  I can't control how much I weigh.  It's great that I have this "goal weight" and it's great that I want to weigh XXX by Christmas, but I am not in charge of how much I weigh.  I am only in charge of how much I eat and how much I exercise.  I can work on the eating and the exercising, they may change how much I weigh, but I cannot directly work on how much I weigh.  It's out of my hands.

If I'm doing my part, then I just have to trust my body to sort it all out.  I have to work hard on this because it is bad for me to get too attached to the numbers on the scale - it triggers bad food thoughts ("you've done so well, you can afford to splurge a little" or "see, you're a failure, you might as well eat whatever you want").

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

kimbethin
on 10/12/11 2:49 am - CA
Great thought- I'm going to remember that!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 1:39 am
I would check the sodium on the Gatorade. Maybe it has alot and your actually holding water weight??

Congrats though on your loss thats great!!!
Kim W.
on 10/12/11 1:48 am, edited 10/12/11 1:49 am - TX
VSG on 03/15/11 with
 also, I didnt see any mention of excercise in there :)

you never see the word diet without the word exercise, as my doctor says.  30 minutes a day minimum!
Smardeepants
on 10/12/11 1:54 am
Hon, don't get frustrated! You're doing great! 

On my plan, personally, I don't drink any drinks except sugar free, and I don't eat any carbs. (Zero during the losing phase). This is my plan. I want to maximize my weightloss phase, and don't want to look back and *wonder* if that Tablespoon of rice or pasta made a difference.  I do workout 5-6 days a week, but I didn't start until around 6-8 weeks out, so you're fine there... there's always time to add that.

Stick with you plan, and take measurements/photos so you can track your progress in ways OTHER than the scale.

It WILL come off! 

heathermc44
on 10/12/11 2:00 am - Bremerton, WA
I just want to echo what others have said.  You are doing an amazing job.  This isn't a race, it's for the rest of your life.  And remember, we lose weight in stages.  It's more like a staircase then a ramp.  Also, I would try an experiment.  Cut out the gatorade and crystal light and just focus on water.  I think there is something to these artificial sweetners that cause a chemical change in our bodies.  Also, try upping your protein for a few days and see if that helps.  Try it for a few days and see how you do.  I personally don't drink anything bu****er, coffee and iced tea ****assionally).  Give it a try and then report back.  I know you mentioned you have arthritis but can you swim?  Can you do gentle stretching exercises?  Can you lift weights?  All of these can and will help.

Good luck to you.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 96 views