Six months out and still vomiting

Irinek
on 10/25/11 12:21 am - MI
It's almost six months since my VSG and I've lost 80 pounds.  My sleeve is still very tight and I'm only able to eat small amounts of food.  For example an egg and one slice of turkey bacon for breakfast, 3-4 oz soup for lunch with protien powder, and a 3 0z salad and a protien for dinner.  For a snack I would have more soup.   I hate protien shakes so please don't suggest them. I hate anything sweet since the surgery. If I over do it I have to vomit and this happens at least twice a week. 

Stephanie M.
on 10/25/11 1:03 am
Have you spoken to your surgeon about it? Vomiting at 6 months really isn't normal. Congratulations on your success, though!

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

J.e.t.
on 10/25/11 1:07 am
 I agree, I don't think frequent vomiting at 6 months out is normal.  Definitely talk to your surgeon!
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 1:15 am, edited 10/25/11 1:16 am - MI
Wow I am seven months out and I have only list 45 lbs.You have lost a lot for being a lightweight. I was just wondering who did your surgery? I am from MI as well. I had to go to Mexico cause I was self pay. My bmi was 32. To low for insurance coverage. Yeah I dont think you should still be getting sick. I have not got sick once. I eat a lot more than you are. Good luck.
Ms. Poker Face
on 10/25/11 1:25 am
You've done great losing 80 pounds!!!!  Congrats!

It sounds like you have great restriction, which a lot of people with they had further out.  I too have great restriction but I view it differently than you.  I am thankful for it!  It's saving my life.

It also sounds like you know where your full or "stop eating" point is because you mention you vomit after overdoing it.  So the obvious question is why do you keep going to the point of overdoing it?  Is it that you can't anticipate where that stop point is?  Is that you can't feel the "full" signal?  Or do you know these and just can't stop eating?

I wish I had great advice, and you don't specifically ask for advice.  But I'll give some unsolicited advice that I've heard from vets.  Many of them say to undereat your sleeve.  Don't pu**** to full capacity at meals.  Instead of 3oz, eat only 2 oz.  Maybe that means adding an additional meal each day to get enough protein/calories.  But it's advice I've tried to take to heart.  And it's working for me.

Vomiting twice per week does not sound normal for 6 months out.  What does your surgeon say?

I wish you luck in your journey!  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 2:04 am
Your advice is spot on.  I hope the OP hears your words of wisdom.  Unless something is seriously wrong, the OP is vomiting because she is eating too much or too fast at each meal.

To the OP, please consider eating no more than 2 oz. at a time, you can add another meal if you must.  You are doing an incredible job losing the weight, enjoy it.  Your restriction will allow you to maintain with less difficulty down the road, but you must learn to work with your sleeve and not eat until you are over stuffed.  I know you didn't ask for advice, so if this is unwelcome, I am sorry.  I only mean to be helpful.
ravenssummer
on 10/25/11 2:11 am - West Warwick, RI
It sounds like you maybe over eating as weird as it might sound. I am almost 7 months out and still can only eat 1 1/2 to 2 oz. of meat in a sitting. Soup really depends on if its mainly protein or more veggies than protein because the more veggies the more of a slider food it will be. I would say try under eating for a day or 2 and see if its that. Meanwhile call your doctor and make sure its nothing else thats causing the problem.
HW 348 SW 329 CW 196  

Irinek
on 10/25/11 2:24 am - MI
Thank you all for your concern and advice. I saw my nut today and she told me exactly what you all said.  I need to eat smaller meals more frequently and take more time chewing.  I do have that full feeling but I must take a few bites after for this to happen.  I had a hernia repaired during my VSG so vomiting is not a good thing. I am going to take it slower and smaller for now on.  Thanks!
SassyItalian
on 10/25/11 2:26 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Try to re-think your opinion of 'small amount of food'. Im 10 months out and Can eat about as much, if not a little less than you. This is normal. The doctors guidelines usually say you can eat more by now but for many of us thats not the case, And thats ok! That's how we lose weight.

Our idea of portions is so over inflated from years of giant portions.

Try to enjoy the fact that you are full from small quanitites. You dont need more food than this at a time. If you arent getting in your protein add in a snack or 2 during the day, a high protein one like string cheese or beef jerkey.

It sounds like you are overeating to the point of vomiting. It seems like you know your limits, you may just be trying to exceed them.

Maybe im wrong, you didnt elaborate on exactly what is happening. Are you vomiting liquids or for no reason? If thats the case you need to talk to the doc. Or are you overeating and vomiting? That's completely different. Try and measure your portions and not over do it.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Irinek
on 10/25/11 2:27 am - MI
Jeda, my start weight is listed uncorrectly.  I was 242 and my BMI was 36 when I had the surgery.  My surgeon is Dr. Hawasili and I could not have been happier with my choice.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views