Married 40 years
2 Kids, 2 Grandkids
1 old dog        

megamommy
on 10/26/11 10:56 pm
oh Great.....
TexasProud
on 10/26/11 11:13 pm - Frisco, TX
Don't let this steal our joy! Let's keep truckin'!! Have a great day.

Mom4Jazz
on 10/26/11 11:19 pm
If you go to the source article, there's actually a glimmer of good news for sleevers: one of the hormones that remained elevated after restrictive dieting was grehlin. Since we have very limited grehlin production, we should be better off in this regard.

The caution I read here, and that's being missed in the media hype: If you've just come off a restrictive diet, you can't just go to the theoretical "maintenance" calories for your new weight. You need, instead, to maintain a lower calorie level - still higher than your diet level but lower than the theoretical maintenance calories for your weight.

We already knew that. Many of our vets maintain at calories lower than the theoretical ideal for their weight. But our sleeves and restriction will help with that if we choose the right foods and use them correctly.

So, important information to be aware of but not devastating news.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

doggz109
on 10/26/11 11:22 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Yeah this just reinforces my belief that your body has "set points" and this is what CAN be linked to stalls as you lose weight. 

It really does not want to lose weight and the best way to lose weight is to actually trick your body into thinking that its NOT losing weight.

One way....is by changing or removing hormones...which is what the VSG does. 

This is one reason why paleo/low carb diets work as well as they do also.  People can eat larger amounts of fat/protein which is very satisfying.  Simple caloric restriction does not cause either effect....and therefor you will gain back weight once that deficit is gone....even at maintence level calories.  Just my opinion.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views