when will regular taste return?

star733
on 10/30/11 1:12 pm
can some of y'all who have had your sleeve for a while tell me how long it took for things to taste 'normal' again? i am having a very hard time getting in my liquid becuz i hate the artificial sweetners and they even make me have nausea BUT water tastes really weird to me, and i used to only drink water---so i'd really like this to pass by soon! i have 6 weeks out from my surgery...also-how do i put, on the space where my pic is, my surgery date? i have tried to figure that out and cant!
thanks!

urmisnshin2
on 10/30/11 1:17 pm - TX
I'm 4 months out and lots of things still don't taste "normal" to me, however slowly but surely some things do. As far as liquids, that's a tough one for me too. I can drink water but it has to be ice cold, and the only flavorings I can stand are oddly enough, lemon lime, and sugar free Hawaiian punch packets (I can only use about 1/2 a packet though because otherwise it's too sweet and nauseates me.) You should be able to go to "my OH" and edit your surgery date there.

HW 280  SW 260 CW 155 GW 160      

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 1:49 pm
I'm not certain - some things are starting to taste normal, but there are things that I keep finding I used to like and don't now.

From what I understand and I don't really get this, so bear with me, the acid/base make up of our bodies as obese and eating high sugar/fat encouraged us to be addicted to food.

Now, as we lose, we eat better and change, those things don't give us the kick they once did. I can say so far the only "sweet" food post op I still have to be careful with is chocolate. Dark chocolate doesn't kick my tastebuds the same as milk.

But my all time favorite dessert pre-op was apple pie. I had a REALLY well made one a month ago, I took one bite and thought it was nasty. Then some other time I had a bite of something with caramel in it, it tasted like acid - blech.

I'm thrilled it's curing me LOL. I take little tastes of things on occasion and am excited to find I don't like them anymore!!

At any rate, it may be that you learn to like things you never did before. I'm going to venture out on some things I didn't used to like and see if I like them now. Like tomatoes. Have hated them my whole life, but something tells me I might like them now.

It's an adventure
star733
on 10/30/11 2:01 pm
you're so right-it is an adventure...i just want to like water again...

duranie512
on 10/30/11 2:52 pm - OH

When the ketosis kicked in everything tasted NASTY.  I am now 2 month out as of today and things are tasting better.  I couldn't eat cheese cause it tasted gross, but now I can and there are other things that tasted gross at the begining but tast normal to me again.  The only problems at this point are I don't like the flavor of the protien drinks (makes me yack) and I can't no longer drink cows milk. 

Good luck with your adventure!!

Rhonda

MYLIFEJOURNEY
on 10/30/11 3:02 pm

Hi. I am currently on the stage II again, post-op 10-24-11 VSG. What I think happens, is our palettes are so used to taste, then boom, just like that our tongues are sadly torn away from the very, rich, creamy, salty tastes that we were once used to.  Now, because our taste-buds have like been stripped of flavor, any-vague taste, is odd....that's how I can explain i****er is my favorite drink, but because my mind really focuses on it NOW, where it didn't before, I was just gulp, gulp...I am tasting every little tiny thing about even the water, so I think i get what you mean....It is strange, isn't it . You are a little older than me surgery-wise, so...please keep me updated, tell me how it goes..thanks...btw, you need to go pics and fill in title, maybe.

Amy D.
on 10/30/11 3:56 pm
 Just did mine reciently hun!  Go to My OH & My Journey go under surgeries & you should be able to handel it from there!!  Good Luck hun, hope your taste buds come back soon!!

VSG 11-8-11      HW 327       SW 255   Mo.1-25 lbs  loss  " I think that everything happens to me for a reason. The hard times that I go through build character, making me a much stronger person.?
DarleneR
on 10/30/11 11:01 pm
Congrats on your surgery!

I'm a little over a year out and can only just now within the past few week tolerate plain water.  Up until now I had to use Crystal Light or other sugar free drink mixes just to get it down.  I also drank a lot of tea.  I was surprised that I didn't like water because I drank it a lot pre-op.

Hopefully it won't take you as long to get use to it as it did me but hang in there...things get better.
(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 4:05 am
To me nothing tastes as good as it did preop. Thats probably a good thing as I might endulge in something that tastes really good.  I also cannot tolerate water or some of the drink mixes,  however I do like homemade iced tea with Truvia .  I can sweeten it up as sweet as I want.  I also drink flat soda by pouring it out of the 2 liter bottle and pouring it into a Rubbermaid container, open the vent and let it go flat in about a day.  Then I refridgerate it.  I have found that I tolerate things a lot better if I vary the tastes.  Today iced tea, tomorrow diet (flat) Sierra Mist, the next day diet (flat) Cherry Coke.  I always have a container of soda going flat and one that is flat so I never run out. 
star733
on 11/1/11 2:18 am
so does truvia have an aftertaste? it's the aftertaste of all the other artifical sweetners i cant tolerate...it gives me nausea...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 358 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views