6 week post op dr. visit. cleared on all foods

mandyc1975
on 11/3/11 6:54 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
So I went for my 6 week follow up visit today. The doc said everything seems great. Now I'm wondering what I should start trying as dense protein. What works best for you and what has the highest protein. Does anyone know of a book that list foods with high protein?
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
MN_Mama
on 11/3/11 7:30 am
Good for you!  After all the liquids and crap, real food will taste great again!

I did well with everything I tried, beef, chicken, pork, fish and other seafood, eggs, beans, lentils, dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt--greek style has the highest protein, cheese--watch the fat), tofu, tempeh and other vegetable proteins like boca burgers etc.

Some people don't like beef or chicken, some says beef, chicken and eggs don't like them.  Some people develop intolerance for lactose (milk products).   
I still can't eat more than a couple ounces of dense proteins like beef, chicken, turkey, ham, but I ate almost 4 ounces of crab last week in one sitting.   True, I should have stopped at 3, but mmm, it was good, and I had nothing other than crab, ignored the salad and the bread.  

My WLS crew suggested I try small amounts of new foods, keep them saucy, moist and tender at first.   Ground beef and turkey were early favorites as well as refried beans with salsa and cheese,  and if something doesn't work well, set it aside to try again in a few weeks.  

Hope some of this helps.  

gracee44
on 11/3/11 9:19 am
I went for my 6 week follow up also, sugery date was 9/19 . I was also cleared for soft foods. which made me very happy. Was missing veg mostly.
So far I have had turkey chicken fish shrimp  tuna on the pureed phase.. and have done well. Peanut butter was the only thing so far I have had an issue with. i was told to try adding one thing at a time so you can see how it works for you .

emelar
on 11/3/11 9:22 am - TX
Fish and seafood in general tends to be higher in protein, lower in calories and fat.  And it sits well in the stomach.  It's dense, but not as dense as chicken, steak, or pork.

I had no intolerances to anything, but I did take it very slowly when introducing new foods to make sure it'd "take."
edelu
on 11/3/11 9:33 am - los angeles, CA
The first thing i tried was steak because i had loved it before surgery and being able to eat it made me feel satisfied and not on a diet.  I started off with that and would have some lettuce with it.  It also became a staple because one 12oz steak would be 5-6 meals and i got a kick out of this.  Chicken breast was the only thing that gave me pause.  chicken thighs fine, port, fine.  Fish fine.  Jumbo shrimp was also great for me.  I'd buy them frozen boil them and have 2-3 with some ****tail sauce for a meal.  Easy and delish and really low calorically.  I never had a problem with anything really.
mandyc1975
on 11/4/11 1:39 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
Thanks everyone. I picked up some shrimp last night and today I'm having turkey. And very soon, I will try steak!
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 317 views