How do you get all those fluids in??

Ashley D.
on 11/19/11 8:14 am
I was sleeved on Thursday and came home last night.  I have done nothing but sleep today in between my protein drinks.  My total for today is about half a bottle of protein liquid and one bottle of water.  That is it!  I can't seem to take more without being absolutely miserable!  What happens if I can't take in all this fluid?  It just seems impossible!
newme2011-2012
on 11/19/11 8:25 am
I was sleeved on the 10th and was just going to start a post wondering why I am NOT having any problems drinking my liquids.
I get 48-64 oz of water in a day and 1-2 protien drinks that are 11 oz. each. Wondering if I got a big sleeve or something.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

soulsister
on 11/19/11 9:16 am - NY
On November 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM Pacific Time, newme2011-2012 wrote:
I was sleeved on the 10th and was just going to start a post wondering why I am NOT having any problems drinking my liquids.
I get 48-64 oz of water in a day and 1-2 protien drinks that are 11 oz. each. Wondering if I got a big sleeve or something.
Julie
Julie,
We were sleeved within a couple days of each other.
I have never had a problem with getting liquids in either. I drink them a lot slower but constantly have a 32 oz water bottle with me everywhere I go. I just keep sipping.

I think everyone's swelling may be different. Maybe ours just went down quicker than others.

My bougie was a 36 but oversewn to be like a 34. Not sure if bougie size makes much of a difference. Do you know the size bougie that was used?
sveajack
on 11/19/11 8:28 am

I'm 2 weeks post sleeve and I STILL don't get all my fluids (or protein) in.  I called the NUT and asked advise... best advise I've got was to LISTEN TO YOUR NEW TUMMY... DO YOUR BEST... AND IN TIME IT WILL GET EASIER.

Best of Luck,,, Wish Me Luck Too :0)
SveaJack

TXRJean
on 11/19/11 8:44 am - TX
I was sleeved on Wednesday and cannot possibly get in all the liquids. I'm trying to get my protein in first and hoping that it will get better as the days go by. It's all I can do to drink every 15 minutes. I feel like I'm never gone from a 1 ounce cup. I also feel it getting stuck after I've been drinking for more than 90 minutes.

RPrice85
on 11/20/11 10:52 am - MI
You want to get your liquids in first before your protein. I know it sounds weird, but you don't want to get dehydrated. So once you are able to get your liquids in, then focus on getting more protein!
slimpickins5280
on 11/19/11 9:23 am - CO
I was able to get in 64 oz of water in while I was still in the hospital (but, not much else). I found that I do better with warm caffeine free tea (Sleepy Time is my favorite). In the hospital all I did was sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk - all day and all night.

At home, I have a sports bottle that is 33 oz. I drink 2 a day and I have met my water requirement.

I'm methodical and tenacious about my water intake (and just about everything else). I start the moment I wake up and keep sipping until I go to bed. I typically get in about 9-10 glasses a day.

I absolutely REFUSED to go to the hospital for dehydration because i knew it would slow my progress.

For me, water is first. Then protein, Then exercise. Carbs are last.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

slimpickins5280
on 11/19/11 9:26 am - CO
Just wanted to add that I do the same thing as soulsister - I have a a water bottle (usually filled with tea) everywhere I go. If I don't have one, I buy one. I will NEVER be withou****er.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

prplady
on 11/19/11 10:30 am - Canada
I read here on OH.... I can not remember who posted

but the advise was to   ,,,,,,   set a timer for every ten minutes and drink an ounce

after ten hours you have drank 60 ounces

hope this helps

HW 270  SW 226 CW 175.8 GW 150

KathyA999
on 11/19/11 11:21 am
Congratulations on your surgery! 

Remember that your protein drinks count towards your liquid requirements.  But, very early out, if you're having trouble with protein drinks, focus on your water, or some form of water (with Crystal Lite, or however it works for you).  It's FAR more important to stay hydrated than to reach protein goals at this point. 

The advice to "listen to your new tummy" is good, but do PUSH the liquids, even if you don't feel like drinking.  If you experience pain, ease up, and take smaller sips.  The real answer to "how do you possibly get all the liquids in?" is - "One sip at a time". 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views