Question for VSG veterans...

ctwoman
on 11/19/11 12:03 am
Hello Folks!

I am a revision from the band to the sleeve.  The two surgeries are completely different and I always thought I loved my band, but the sleeve is sooooo much better and although I have had this set back with the emergency removal and then having to wait for the sleeve (and gaining weight while waiting!) I am so happy to be back on track again! 

My question is this I have zero appetite (TRUST me I am NOT complaining about this) I have to basically force myself to eat a meal (I am on softs right now, won't be on solids until the end of December).  My question is does this go away or will I have the joy of never feeling hungry again?  With the band I still had cravings and felt hungry at times but so far I haven't had those feelings with the sleeve and I do like it and don't want it to go away!  I know some people still have hunger and cravings after the sleeve surgery and some don't I am just wondering for those who don't if it will be like this forever.

Thanks for your time!
HW 315 - Lapband 11/7/07 Lapband emergency removal 3/17/11 -weighed 159
VSG Pre-op diet 10/21/11 weighed 256 - Surgery on 10/31/11 weighed 239.8

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 12:37 am
My hunger and cravings completely went away for about six months.  I now have them back, but they are a shadow of their former selves.  I used those first six months to maximize my weight-loss and I don't mind having some hunger back in maintenance.  To some degree, this hunger makes my meals a great deal more enjoyable.  I still feel in control of it and not the other way around.  Some people lose their hunger forever, some get some of it back and still others seem to never lose it.
Crystal M.
on 11/19/11 12:43 am - El Paso, TX
I had no appetite for several weeks after my VSG, but it did eventually return, although nowhere near what it was before.

Before surgery, my hunger was all-consuming; when I was even a little hungry, I could think of nothing but food. Now when I get hungry, it's barely noticeable and easily ignored until eating is convenient.

For most of us, hunger (to some degree) will eventually return.

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

ctwoman
on 11/19/11 1:07 am
Thanks ladies!  I am indeed using this time to maximize weightloss and get used to eating my "mini meals" again.  Thanks for the information!
BriarRose
on 11/19/11 2:47 am
I get hungry. But a handful of almonds, a baby bel cheese, is enough to qwell the hungrys and move on with what I'm doing. And the hunger isn't an all consuming belly rumbling thing; it's more like a "hey, when did you last eat ?!" thing. That can be respnded to thoughtfully, rather than I NEED TO EAT NOW !!.

Having said that, at 10 months out, I do keep single serving almonds or cashews in the glove box of the car, because I can get light headed if I forget to eat !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
felinemommy
on 11/19/11 3:24 am - NH
At just over 2 years out, I can and do get VERY hungry again!  The difference now is that I still get full quickly.  It has more to do with making good choices when getting to the really hungry state.  (I tend to be more inclined to eat CARBY foods.....like this morning's Belgian waffle--just a quarter of it though!)  I too enjoyed having no hunger, but sadly, it did come back!

LilySlim - (TZ0U)

Maintain daily activity levels and practice clean eating........still battling some unhealthy behaviors!

Dawnie 88
on 11/19/11 3:32 am
I am 19 mths postop..and i guess one of the lucky ones as I do NOT get hungry..ever.

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 3:52 am
Mine started to come back at about 4mo out, but I have far more no hunger days than hungry days~! I also feel very in control when hungry, it's not that insane "stuff anything in face to get it gone NOW!" feeling. To me it feels *normal* and I like that.. I can and do wait until I have the right stuff in front of me to eat.. I also find I am generally only really hungry (when I'm having one of those days) in the mornings when I wake up.. so my protein coffee satisfies me, and then I don't feel it again until maybe later at night when a quick protein snack does the trick! I absolutely love the sleeved life!
BuckeyeGirl
on 11/19/11 4:50 am - TN

I completely lost physical hunger for at least the first 9 months. Even now, I'm not sure if I experience real physical hunger, but I do look forward to eating sometimes. So, appetite in terms of enjoying food is definitely back.

However, if I get busy with something and lose track of time, I can go too long without eating and then sometimes experience what I can only guess is hypoglycemia. I start to feel kind of weak/shaky, clammy, I start sweating and have to sit down...kind of feel like I am going to pass out if I don't sit down. This is always resolved by getting something in my system as soon as possible.

Usually I try and eat every 3-4 hours so as to avoid this, but the fact that there are those rare times when I lose track of time and experience this makes me think that my physical hunger is still gone.

Lindsey

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views