Happy anksgiving, and some advice

OldMedic
on 11/24/11 12:59 am - Alvaton, KY
A Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here.

Don't worry if you eat a piece of pie, or a candied yam, or something else on the "forbidden list".  You have not doomed yourself to failure.

Don't get in a panic if you stall.  EVERYONE does at some point.  Women, because of their hormones, tend to stall a LOT more frequently than men do. 

Do NOT obcess over your weight loss.  There are many other things going on in your life, and your weight loss is just one of them.  Keep your priorities straight, your life will be a LOT happier.

Above all, remember that YOU are responsible for what happens to you.  If you stick with this, as closely as you can (knowing that we ALL cheat some), you WILL get your excess weight off.  YOU CAN DO THIS!  The holidays MAY cause a bump in the road, but so what?  Get right back on program once they are over, and stick with it.

Always remember:  I  CAN  DO  THIS!

If a broken down old guy like me could do it, I know darn good and well that each and every one of you is capable of making it to a healthy goal weight.

Enjoy the holidays, whatever they may be  for you.  Indulge a LITTLE, do an extra few minutes of exercise if you must, and remember that life does NOT consist of weight loss and weight loss alone. 

Family, friends and the other things in life, in the long run, are a LOT more important than anything else in your life.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/24/11 1:05 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Very very true OldMedic. Of course to enjoy family, friends and all the other important things in our lives, one has to be alive first!
I usually lose weight over holidays... last Christmas for example in 2 weeks I was down 8 lbs. Strange but true. Hopefully that can continue. My aim is to lose another 5 lbs pre op and that is in 7 weeks so I think I can.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone else too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/11 1:08 am - MI
Thank you! You are my favorite vet on this board and I always respect your advice. I plan on eating everything my family does today. The only difference is my plate will be a saucer. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!,
kimbethin
on 11/24/11 1:09 am - CA
Happy Thanksgiving!  Thank you!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Jeanne T.
on 11/24/11 4:02 am
Happy Thanksgiving and I am thankful for reminding me of what's truly important!!!  You are wise!!!

NanaDebby65
on 11/24/11 4:25 am - North Richland Hills, TX
Very well said Old Medic!! Thanksgiving is 1 day a year so as long as we do not treat EVERY day like Thanksgiving then we will be just fine!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!!

Debby
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
BriarRose
on 11/24/11 4:37 am
Such wise and wonderful advice !!! Here I am, the one in the family who doesn't eat many carbs....and I am the baker !! Just finished baking cranberry-orange loaves and did up a new sweet potato whip -- will they notice that the marshmellows are missing ?

Looking forward to a late afternoon and evening with family and friends. Made sure I ate my oatmeal for breakfast, and had an egg for lunch...keeping it real for later on ..... have to eat at my regular intervals, and KNOW that some turkey and a taste of everything else will satisfy me !!!

Got some shopping planned for late tonight and tomorrow !!!!

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
joeswife
on 11/24/11 5:44 am - CA
Thanks, great advice for this Thanksgiving day. Looking forward to my cream of wild mushroom soup, ( no cream this time, used milk) a little turkey and a little mashed potatoes and gravy. All within my regular portions. Since I am still in weight loss phase will skip any dessert and sit back and enjoy the family!

Have a great day and thanks for your post!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views