? ABOUT HEAVY LIFTING AFTER SURGERY

pdalton8
on 12/3/11 10:32 pm - NV
I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAD TO Wait VERY LONG TO GET RELEASED TO DO HEAVY LIFTING? I HAVE A WEIGHT RESTRICTION AT WORK AND I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO LIFT 50 POUNDS TO WORK (not that I do all the time but it is required) IS 4 TO 6 WEEKS LONG ENOUGH RECOVERY TIME? I HOPE SO ! I CAN'T BE OUT OF WORK THAT LONG 4 WEEKS WOULD BE PERFECT. I KNOW I NEED TO ASK MY SURGEON BUT JUST WONDERING WHAT SOME OF MY FELLOW SLEEVERS EXPERIENCES WERE WITH THIS RESTRICTION? THANK YOU!
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 10:37 pm
i have a 5-10lb restriction till wk 6 - next wk & honestly, i've had fatigue issues and that hasn't been a problem.

what is - is i live & work on a ranch.  i have a LOT of heavy lifting that DH has handled for the most part, i'm just taking it slow.

50lbs?? not sure about that clearance @ 4wks - i would definitely ask.
pdalton8
on 12/3/11 10:40 pm - NV
Thank you for the post! I will pray after 6 weeks I will be able to get back to work....

newbutterfly84
on 12/3/11 10:39 pm - VA
with

Hello There,
 My surgeon told me that I couldn't lift anything over 10 pounds for 6 weeks.  Don't forget to ask your surgeon about his restriction guideline. Have a great day :)

pdalton8
on 12/3/11 10:42 pm - NV
Thank you! I will ask for sure! But at least I have an Idea of what he will say now !Thank you for your post! Have a Nice day!

Ms. Poker Face
on 12/3/11 10:42 pm
I agree with the others - 4 weeks may not be long enough before heavy lifting.  Not sure if 6 weeks will be either.  I understand that you can't be out of work longer than that, but the flip side is that the risk of lifting too early is more medical issues, such as hernias.  It's not worth it.

Check with a user named roundater... he has a heavy lifting job and I think he was off 6 or 8 weeks maybe?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

pdalton8
on 12/3/11 10:45 pm - NV
I will check with roundater Thank you! And your right it is not worth risk of more medical issues. I guess I will be thankful for short term disability I have with my job! Take Care and thank you for your post!

jovi_34
on 12/3/11 11:24 pm - TX
VSG on 10/11/11 with
Every surgoin is different, but I was on restriction nothing over 10lbs. for 6 weeks. Now let me tell you I have a soon to be 23 mth. old. I am now going on 8 weeks post op, in week 3 going on 4 I over did it like no other. I felt great, I thought ok, I can deal with him. I was on my own b/c my husband had to go back to work & I don't have family here where I live to help me. So that being said I lifted him a couple of times, cleaned house like no other & I paid for it for the next week 1/2. OMG the pain was terrible, every chance I got I was in bed with the heating pad on!! Spoke to my Dr. explained what happened & confirmed I done too much. It felt like a stabbing pain on my abdomen. Mine told me it takes about 28 days for the incision line to heal & even after that your body is still healing.

So yes please speak with your Surgeon. Just telling you my experience.

Good luck to you!! 
Check me out at : www.jovanyneal.scentsy.us  for all your Scentsy needs     

HW:256  CW: 243  SW:231   GW: 135

pdalton8
on 12/3/11 11:32 pm, edited 12/3/11 11:32 pm - NV
Thank you so much for that information it really does help me set my mind to what to expect! I will prepare  myself for this for sure now! I do not want that kinda of pain. I wish you all the luck and I know what you mean on having no family to help.... I'm in the same boat my husband will have to go back to work 2 weeks after my surgery but I do not have any kids at home so that is a plus. But I do feel for you it is hard not to lift your kids when they want to be held and loved. I pray that you heal safely and quickly! Take Care!

mandyc1975
on 12/3/11 11:35 pm - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
6 weeks for me also. at my 6 week follow up, he just told me that if it hurts don't do it.
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
Most Active