There is NO Magic 6 Month or 12 month Weight Loss Period!

OldMedic
on 12/4/11 10:51 am - Alvaton, KY
Once again, I saw a note that there is some "Magic" period of time where you have to have a certain amount of your weight off, or you will never get it off.

That is 100% absolute BULL MANURE!

There is NO truth to that, NONE, NADA, not the slightest little smidgin of truth.

I know, some Doctors tell their patients junk like that.  Those are REALLY STUPID DOCTORS, who are attempting to motivate their patients, but discourage a LOT more than they motivate.

I am a clasic example of how this is NOT true.  I worked my butt off over the first 6 months, sticking to my diet program just about perfectly, forcing myself to exercise when I didn't feel like it, and I lost just under 50% of my excess weight.

Over the next 12months, I lightened up a *****eated occasionally, had a doughnut here, a candy bar there, maintained my exercise program of walking 3 miles at a time, 3 days a week, and peeled off the rest of my excess weight.  I didn't cheat frequently, and I did NOT cheat more than one day at a time (or more than one day in a week either).  I just worked my sleeve, did my exercise and kept the cheating to a reasonable amount.

I see weight loss surgery patients regularly, and I personally know of some that just couldn't get serious about their program.  They cheated from the beginning, didn't exercise regualrly, ate just about everything they shouldn't have, and that "MAGIC 6 MONTHS" went by and they had not lost even 20% of their excess weight.

They believed that the sleeve was enough, all by it self.  it was the "Magic" that would take care of everything.  But, they discovered that the "Magic" was not working!

"Oh MY GOD, I'll never get this off" is the cleaned up version of what they were saying at that point!

But, with encouragement, from their doctor and from some people that cared about them, we were able to get them back onto a good weight loss program.  Watching wha tthey ate, both in quantity and in quality. Getting them to do moderate exercise on a regular basis (not running marathons, or lifting weights like a professional, but walking, swimming, bike riding, etc.)

ALL of them, 100% of them, over the following 12-18 months were able to peel off all of their excess weight.

Now, if there was some kind of a "Magic Window", that would NOT have been possible.

So, don't buy into that stupidity.  You CAN lose your excess weight, even if it takes you 12-18-24 or even 36 months.

Yes, it will be a bit harder for you.  The first months are the easiest, but they certainly are not the ONLY time you can lose.

DO NOT LET ANYONE DISCOURAGE YOU, OR CIONVINCE YOU THAT IT IS HOPELESS.

IF A LAZY OLD GUY LIKE ME (I am 68 years old and I absolutely hate EXERCISE, to me it is the single most useless waste of time I can think of) could peel of 175 pounds in 18 months, there is absolutely NO reason why YOU can't do it too.

And do not let anyone tell you that you CAN'T do it, just because some particular period of time went by.  Tell them to get rid of their "Stinkin Thinkin" and let you get on with your weight loss.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Crabadams72
on 12/4/11 10:56 am - Silver Spring, MD
PREACH! Where is the like button!
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

apple55
on 12/4/11 10:56 am
OUTSTANDING!!!

christiemon
on 12/4/11 11:10 am - Buckeye, AZ
You tell it brother!

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/11 11:14 am
You know, for someone getting sleeved in three days your post was timely. A good dose of reality is just what I needed. THANKS!

Jackie00
on 12/4/11 11:20 am
Thanks, I read that post with eleven days to my three month mark and only 35% I am like bummer. I stated my turbo jam disc today ouch feeling it a bit but will try thirty mins a day for three days a week, more if I find the time to have a share at the tv. I am so uncoordinated and it is not my ideal exercise and I don't know what will be over our long winter, until I can find someone that knows what they are doing at a gym that doesn't mind teaching me. I cannot afford a personal trainor but going to try a good thirty min walk after work on nice days the majority of it all uphill. It is a challenge because it is over a bridge and I get so nervous if I look down, I try to keep my eyes straight. It only takes about twenty mins to cross the bridge and hopefully next spring I can try jogging across.

Once again thanks for clearing it up, I would love to have fifty percent off at three months but that is not happening.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Twizzled D.
on 12/4/11 11:27 am
 Great post! When my printer decides to work, this is getting printed and taped onto the wall by the mirror. Thank you!!
-Kristi

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/11 11:33 am - West Palm Beach, FL
Thank you! I agree with Jackie... I am 3 1/2 months post-op and I've only lost about 40 lbs. I believe I'm moving slowly. I cheat often and eat things I shouldn't. Every Sunday I tell myself that I will start a liquid diet on Monday or a healthier eating habit. But it doesn't happen. I haven't been able to get to the gym because I work 40 hours, go to school full-time, and have 3 kids and a home. I'M BUSY!!! I thank you for encouraging me. I thank you for giving me hope. I was almost broken; thinking that I would never lose my excess weight. THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME HOPE!!!
SuzanneR
on 12/4/11 11:40 am - Randolph, NJ
If we eat less calories than we burn off we will lose weight. You are correct! Thanks for letting us know this again.

Paige V.
on 12/4/11 12:00 pm - Gainesville, FL
great post, as usual.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views