Self Payers...

Susan C.
on 12/7/11 11:08 am
I'm still hoping my insurance will authorize my grievance/appeal; however, if they don't I will self pay on 12/20!!  So Excited!!!  My question... I have received a price from my surgeon, hospital and anesthesiologist.  Should I have these prices in writing? I know the hospital is a set price for 3 days, and I know the hourly rate for the anesthesiologist. Should my surgeons price be "all inclusive" if something (knock on wood) goes wrong and he has to remove my spleen or whatever!  Also, should his fees cover a year of post op?  How were your costs handled, if you don't mind me asking.  

Jasonm11
on 12/7/11 11:41 am
My surgeon was up front in that the price covered a routine surgery and while he obviously would do anything needed while there, there was the possibility of additional charges should anything major happen. Though, I've never seen that be the case outside of complications which in general, the understanding is that as a self payer, one of the risks is that you are likely resposnible for complications.

My surgeon advertises a rate that is all inclusive for a standard procedure. It includes the hospital stay for routine surgery and all fees associated with him and the anesthesiologist. I did have to pay all three seperate but it was pre negotiated to exact amounts. IIRC it was $5000 to the hospital, $5200 to the surgeon and $790 to the anesthesiologist....may be a couple dollars off but I know the total that he advertises is $10,990. But nonetheless, he told me right from the start that this included only routine. He did also tell me that he always does a liver biopsy and that insurance covers it about half the time. If they didn't I would be repsonsible for the pathology side only, not his time. Ended up insurance did cover that in my case.

Summary: expect to pay additional for anything out of the norm.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Susan C.
on 12/7/11 12:30 pm
 Thanks for the info, Jason.  My price is very similar:  6700 hospital, 2500 surgeon, 1890 anesthesiologist for a grand total of $11090.  I feel like I'm getting a most excellent deal here in northern California.  Well -- I am, as my surgeon and hospital are giving me an excellent self pay price.    Fingers are crossed all goes well and it's a very routine, uneventful surgery!  

A_NewFuture
on 12/7/11 12:37 pm - Saginaw, MI
 I didn't have to pay for my surgery Thank God Insurance covered it however, my hat off to you who do pay! Wow! that is one huge bill for sure! God Bless you all and I pray you don't have to pay and Insurance picks the bill up for you Susan! Good Luck and GOD BLESS

RAQUEL

With Gods help I am going to beat this!  

gator28fan
on 12/7/11 1:48 pm - Scott, LA

I was self pay and it was $11,500 for the sleeve.  $8000 for the hospital for up to 3 days and $3500 for the surgeon.  It included pre-op classes, and one year of post-op visits.  I had to pay for Psych Eval of $100 and pre-op lab work was paid by my insurance.  Post-op lab work has also been paid for by my insurance. 

Good luck with your insurance.  All I can say is that $11,500 was the BEST MONEY I HAVE SPENT ON MYSELF.  Would do it all over again if I had to.

Marlene

HW:  440.6  SW: 401  CW: 281.6 GW:  170            
vinnymac
on 12/7/11 3:29 pm - Mobile, AL
I was self payed.I went to Mexico its much safer then you might think. It was a 8500 total then i think its cheaper now you can call Dr Elmo anytime day or night . If you thru BELITEWEIGHT.Com and talk to Joann she will finance you for I think 10%down and $200 a month.

Good Luck

Vinny Mac

Susan C.
on 12/8/11 10:01 am
 Thanks for the info, Vinny.  I was actually looking at going the Mexico route but we decided for me it will be best to do it locally.  I have three kids and it will be hard to be away from them for 5-7 days.  Good luck on your journey too.

Susan C.
on 12/8/11 9:59 am
Thanks, Marlene!  I feel the same way -- If I do have to approve, it will be the best money spent on myself and my family!  My husband feels the same way.  If Momma ain't happy -- nobody happy!  hehe. 

critterfarmgirl
on 12/8/11 12:09 pm - WA
I paid $16'200. (self pay) it includes a year of follow up nutrition as well. I am 3 weeks out, and feeling great! I was sleeved, stayed the night..home the next day.
Most Active