23 and very scared

leslie.b.3
on 12/9/11 2:18 am
So I was supposed to sit down today with my mom and dad and decide which doctor we were going to do my sleeve with. Well I then told them that I decided that I dont want to go through with it.

Now a part of me wants to do this, but the other side of me is tell me dont do it, you are 23 you can do it on your own!

I am very scared that if I do the sleeve that I wont be able to change my ways....my diet, my social life, my exercise.

Any advice for me?
karenbarb
on 12/9/11 2:21 am - Roselle, NJ
Revision on 01/18/12
being heavy all of my life, i can only give u words of advice that i have seen on here before......everyone says that they wish they had done it sooner...so, if u get a handle on your health now, u wont have problems in the future....if i was u, i would go for it !!!!!!

IT IS A NEVERENDING BATTLE, THAT I WILL NOT LOSE

Sleeva
on 12/9/11 2:32 am - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
I have been researching WLS for 5 years now, each year I would say I can do this on my own, now almost 50 I will start the process..The years go by so fast, I just hope I have about 30
or more to enjoy it as a sexy senior..Good luck on what ever you decide.
   ROMANS 12:1 
   I beseech you therefore brethern, by the mercies of God,that you present your bodies a  living sacrifice,holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable service.

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/11 2:36 am
First- there's no rush- you need to be comfortable with the choice! Changing things is part of it, the sleeve does make it easier to make the changes (for some of us).. but that has to come from you.. 

I only can share what I went through- I lost from 300+ to 155 in my early 20's, and maintained it for better than 5 years +/- 20lbs.. but having been big all my life before then, the regain started slowly and progressed till I was up to 250+ 10 years later.. So, regardless of "doing it on my own" the regain happened.. Sleeve time for me, 38 now.. So, yes, you may be able to lose it all.. but can you beat the huge stats lined up against you and keep it off for the rest of your life without that helping hand that the surgery gives you? That's something important to think about.. 

Hindsight, I would have jumped to do this younger, before the regain really got out of control. It would have given me *some* assistance in maintaining a healthier weight long term. Would I still have regained? Maybe, but possibly not as much or as quickly as I could with a bottomless pit of a stomach.. Nothing about the sleeve will automatically prevent regain.. so that's where the work/changes need to happen. If you are ready, you'll know it. If this is just normal nerves, or a real case of *I'm not ready, yet* you'll know it.. just take your time and really think about it. It's def not a magic bullet, but to me it's the best odds-evener I could give myself, a helping hand only, which is what I needed. Ask yourself what you need. Good luck!

tdjf_3
on 12/9/11 3:03 am
 Hey Girl All I have to say is Do It!!!! It's not something that you will regret doing only something, if you wait till your 30, that you will wish you hadn't waited to do. I am 38 and have 3 kids my regret is that I wasn't that healthy mom that my children deserved. I wish I had done this a long time ago. 
You know when your going through all this in your head one of the thoughts that I had was - If I could do this on mine own I would have already done it.

God Bless & Happy Losing!!!!                 
Lisa J.
on 12/9/11 4:07 am - OK
What are you scared 'about'? It sounds like your parents are on board for you and that's AWESOME (so many family members seem to be opposed for so many reasons on this board--and usually have NO research on this)

Every single person who is on this board, who has chosen to change their lives ALL thought we could do it on our 'own'. And we all failed miserably at it. We chose to have someone else make permanent changes to our physiology so we could take the fast track to getting thinner and heathier. True, there are lots of things that are easier to change when you're 23.....and certainly lifestyle and diet are one of them IF you aren't unhealthy already with other health and hereditary issues. 

Look at your own sentences "the other side of me ... 23 you can do it on your own" and one paragraph later "if I do the sleeve....won't be able to change my ways". 

Are you afraid of the surgery not succeeding?
Are you afraid OF the surgery itself?
Are you afraid that you'll get male attention, especially if you've never gotten it before?
Are you afraid it's too much work?

If I were you I'd absolutely go to some mental health sessions with the facility psychologist (if there is one--or find one who deals with WLS issues) and find out what is really scaring you.

We are a nation of fat folks. We eat to obsess. It's obscene, it's gross, it's pathetic, it's a joke, it's a prejudice, unhealthy, unattractive, mostly unappealing. Maybe I'm just the devil's advocate here -- do you really want to spend another MINUTE in the body you have now if you don't have to?

If you reads these boards enough you will see how thrilled, changed, enlightened, and inspired people are after spending decades in denial, afraid to take one more chance simply because everyone else said you'll die or that it doesn't work or that God forbid, somebody, (and they will) will say you took the EASY way out!!!!!

Bottom line is you do what you have to do, what feels right to do. I'm almost 55 and had this 2.5 years ago. I wish I could have done this in my 20s, in a New York minute I wish I'd had the opportunity. Lord only knows who I might have become!! LOL

Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
doggz109
on 12/9/11 4:27 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I would be the first to try to encourge you - but honestly I don't know your situation.  Example....if you have a 50+ BMI then I would say definitely do it.  The odds of someone 50+ BMI losing their excess weight and keeping it off is nearly ZERO.  Keep that in mind.  It's not impossible....but WLS has shown to have a much higher success rate.

Being 23 you may have some time before major healthy issue****but its just borrowed time.  Many people here say they would have done it a lot earlier in life if they could.

However, this is for LIFE...this is a major...change.  I think you have to go into it 100% committed or you will have a greater chance of failure.

Do your research and make your decision.  It's for YOU...no one else. 
Crystal M.
on 12/9/11 5:59 am - El Paso, TX
I agree 100% with doggz109 (above). He made every point I was about to make.

My first question was going to be: How overweight are you? Have you been overweight most of your life?

If you're not severely overweight or have not been overweight most of your life, you have a better chance of losing it and keeping it off. If that's the case, you can try it and know that if you can't do it on your own or if you regain the weight, this surgery will still be an option for you later. You are young enough yet that your weight is probably not yet causing you the dangerous co-morbidities that many of us older heavy people face: high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, back and knee problems,

If you're very overweight, have been for a long time, or if you already have some of those health issues, I would encourage you to pursue the surgery now.

Whatever choice you make, you already know that this is a lifelong committment. That's not a bad thing, though. It's a committment to a healthier lifestyle. Yes, you will have to give up the foods you love in the quantities you currently eat them, but that does not mean you can never enjoy them again. The key phrase there is "in the quantities you currently eat them."

Good luck to you. It's not an easy decision, nor is it one to be made lightly.

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Milo_529
on 12/9/11 1:10 pm
I suggest you talk to your doctor about why you don't want to do it and why you were considering it in the first place.  If you have always been overweight or have a very high BMI, you may not be able to get the weight off and keep it off.  I would bet that most people who have had the surgery will tell you that they told themselves they could do it without surgery, and found out they couldn't.  With that said, understand that having this surgery is an extremely personal decision that will have an impact on every part of your life.  You have to do it for you, not your parents or friends or anyone else.  It's not an easy decision and one you should seriously consider.  If you aren't sure, like I said, talk to your family doctor and weigh your options carefully.

Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views