How long till back to work

Therapat
on 12/18/11 1:53 am - CA
I am currently in the Kaiser Options program. I am planning on the vertical sleeve, but don't have a date set. I have questions about the length of time it takes before you can get back to work, as I need to schedule some vacation time for the surgery.
katier825
on 12/18/11 2:38 am, edited 12/18/11 2:38 am
It will depend on what you do for a living and also how you are recovering. I have a desk job. I wasn't allowed to lift more than 10 lbs for a couple of weeks. I was hoping I'd only need a week, but ended up taking 2. I was 1-1/2 days short of sick/vac time and my employer insisted I do STD. What a pain in the butt it was to go thru all the paperwork just for that!
doggz109
on 12/18/11 2:51 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
It depends on what you do for a living.  A desk job should be good with 1-2 weeks easy.  A physical job.....really depends.  Pretty much once you are off pain meds, are able to keep fluids down, and are able to get through the day without needing extra sleep.  It's very individual.  I've heard of people having surgery on a Friday and going back on Monday.

For example:  I work as a Humane Officer.  I wear a duty belt with about 20 lbs of equipment around my waist/abdomen.  I also deal with aggressive or sick animals every day that might weigh 60 or more pounds easily and fighting me while I do it.  I am probably going to be out from work for at least six weeks before I am cleared to go back to full duty.

Also - keep in mind.....it really is up to your doctor when you go back.  It also depends on how well you do.  If you have complications or something....you could be in the hospital for awhile.  Don't try to squeeze this surgery into a small gap of time.  Make sure you have plenty of time to devote to it.
Jamie_45
on 12/18/11 3:32 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
I'm in the Kaiser system also and having my surgery in Fresno on Jan 9.  I was told to count on at least 2 weeks before returning to work as long as there were no complications and not to lift anything for 6 weeks.  We own our own transportation business so my work involves lots of driving so I will definitely have to be off pain medication.  Good luck with your scheduling and hope it's soon!

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/11 3:49 am
I had mine on the 12th and honestly, i could go back tomorrow if I really wanted to (and if my surgeon let me). I haven't taken pain meds since I've been home and I haven't been nauseated at all. I ended up requesting 4 weeks off though. I do have a desk job though with little to no moving around. The only reason I wouldn't want to go back tomorrow is because of the constant diarreah that I have and the fact that I don't have my liquid/protein schedule down yet. I'm also really off with my sleep schedule. I've been staying up really late at night (just not tired) and then sleeping until 10 or 11 am.

If I had a physical job there would be no way I could do anything. i went to run some errands on Friday and when I was walking from the car to the store it felt like my abdominal muscles were clenching and trying to protect my stomach or something. I would say 2 weeks if you have a calm job just so you can get your schedule down and get your body used to the new lack of calories and the routine.
tdenise8958
on 12/18/11 4:50 am - CO
I have desk job, could have easily returned after 1.week, bit took off two just because I could! Good luck!
julesGA
on 12/18/11 5:16 am - Brunswick, GA
 I was off for 2.5 weeks.  I could have gone back to my desk job  after a week but I would have been exausted by 2PM each day.  If you have the vacation time I'd go ahead and take 2 weeks.  

Mutha24Boyz
on 12/18/11 6:09 am - NY
I honestly feel good enough to return to work right now, but my Dr. said 4-6 weeks and it lets me be home for the holidays, so 6 weeks it is!

I am 29 years old. 5' tall HW 247 SW 241 Pre-Op 226 Tentative Goal 130
www.theinkdiva.blogspot.com
rhearob
on 12/18/11 7:44 am - TN
 I am a consultant and can work from home.  I had my sleeve on a wednesday and went back to work on Monday.  I discussed it with my surgeon and he cleared me to return to work if I felt I was able.  I had my work plan on 2 weeks, just in case.  The only restriction I maintained was no flying for several weeks (lifting luggage, DVT, etc).

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Samantha H.
on 12/18/11 9:22 pm - Kuwait City, Kuwait
Not to take a stab at the people who stayed out 2 weeks, but that seems extreme to me. I don't know about you, but I would go STIR CRAZY stuck at home for 2 weeks, constantly focusing on what is in the kitchen. If you are healing fine and do not have pain, there is no reason you can't go back in a few days. I was back to work 5 days after my surgery. I do have a desk job, though. If I had a job that required lifting, I would have taken 2 weeks.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views