YOU MUST BE MILITANT to be above average

diane S.
on 1/22/12 10:30 am
p.s.  i am drinking a nice glass of zin as i read this .   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

ruggie
on 1/22/12 10:55 am - Sacramento, CA
On January 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM Pacific Time, diane S. wrote:
p.s.  i am drinking a nice glass of zin as i read this .   Diane
Diane - you are my new best friend. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

tripmom02
on 1/22/12 12:11 pm - NJ
 I  you more everytime I read this post! LOL 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

ruggie
on 1/22/12 12:17 pm - Sacramento, CA
 You goofball - why are you reading a month-old post?

tripmom02
on 1/22/12 12:18 pm - NJ
 Because sometimes, even I need a kick in the ass! (I am sorta stubborn that way! LOL)

disneyfan551
on 4/10/12 3:22 am - Great Smoky Mountains, NC
VSG on 05/07/12
Ok, I must be a goofball too, since I just read the post for the first time!    However, I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write it!  I have just finished the final step of the pre-op stage, and was approved by the NUT last week!  I am waiting on a surgery date and still have so much to learn.  I have questioned myself and struggled with many of the mental issues noted in your post.  It was so informative and just what I needed to hear!  I have printed it off for future reference.  Thanks again!!! 
ruggie
on 4/10/12 3:37 am - Sacramento, CA
You're quite welcome - I'm glad you found some value in this post.  Good luck on your journey, and we look foward to seeing you on the loser's bench!

tripmom02
on 4/10/12 3:42 am - NJ
YAY, I love this post. It always makes me happy to see it bumped to the top (but I don't want to be the one to do it b/c then I look like a stalker ).

Pooch2
on 4/10/12 6:18 am
Hey, I was sitting in the hospital 2 days out when you originally posted this, I have never seen this post, as I joined OH after I was at home recovering...geeeze I missed the Frisco's posts you mentioned, that you say caused such an uproar, heck this is all catch up for me....   This is a wonderful post, you present a cogent, logical statement of reality, from a place beyond the daily life of a compulsive over eater, lucid thoughts and guidelines, from the daily life of a recovering compulsive over eater.....(hey I'm trying to write the forward to your book here..OK I'll stop now but you should go on)...... 

I really dig how; ALL IN, you are to your new life, how so much has changed and how you shared the kind of thinking that got you HERE, and how that is not a hope and a dream anymore, offering proof of your arrival with things like; the recent post of a many K run you did and the weight training you talk about moving into and of course your weight loss success... etc.   The message that WLS is not the first line of defense, must be repeated because so many of us come into this, thinking it is, the Normal eaters, think it is, they think WLS is the final chapter, its cheating, its end run around being normal, that is an end in itself....heck we all wi**** were true, if it were, these facts you present would not show the fact that long term averages show more like 50% success, so WLS is NOT a CURE, thinking it is, is still living in denial, they show WLS helps a lot,  it is a "really good tool", that gives you better odds of success, then you had before...... love the message, the attitude, all of it!

All that being said, I think there is much more to say on this board about the use and development of; personal weight loss tools, to move your #, above the long term averages #'s! (of which there are many)  Of course this board itself is one of them, in the support group category and I have found the face to face meetings and the new relationships I am starting to build there, extremely helpful as well, in more ways then I had imagined, that's a tool that you mentioned too.   I have found it interesting that some here have had so much success without having to be a food logging Nazi, it was just one that was most principally important for the start of MY journey and one I really needed to embrace, as lazy as I am and as steeped as I was in denial, over the years, that work has been so worth it, however, I cannot rely upon that alone, either, any more then I can my WLS restriction for guaranteed success.  (and I am committed to absolutely getting to 100 % EWL and maintaining that! Its like I am in the process of moving into a new land/country, one that has different customs, behaviors and even language, then I am used too and learning to live there bringing the best of who I am and never coming back to the daily life of the old habits and customs....moving requires much change)  I am curious if food logging was a  tool you use/ed or maybe  some variation of it.  There are many more tools, that many folks here use and have developed to support there convictions and goals, I see them as being a personal support system, unique to each one of us.  Thanks for your thoughts....really an awesome post.  (can't wait for the book either...hahah jk, or am I?)
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
ruggie
on 4/10/12 9:43 am - Sacramento, CA
Hye Pooch -

Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful posting.  I do recommend following up on Frisco's philosophy - I really do believe that 'undereating' your sleeve is a great way to prevent weight regain.

To answer your question about my own logging and ways to stay cognizant, I do, but I'm not militant (ha ha) about it... but I stay in touch so I don't drift, right?

I have a vague sense of my calories because I typically eat the same thing on the week days and make my food (as opposed to eating out).  I do increase my calorie intake on the days I exercise by the amount I burn from that exercise.  What I am really good at knowing is my protein intake - I've found most stalls can be pushed through by getting my protein to 100 g a day and keeping water intake at like 3 liters a day.  I feel protein is important for many reasons - keeps us feeling satisified (unlike carbs which spike blood sugar and make us hungry), and it's important when exercising.  Even if you're not lifting weights, I know I'm building leg muscles by running, right? 

In general, I avoid simple carbs definitely.  And lots of saturated fat and fried foods.  Take a whole foods approach - I'd rather put a smaller serving of full-fat mayo on my tuna (made from 5 ingredients) than a lot of low-fat mayo (made from 17 ingredients).  

And I'm still using my stomach as the backup tool - I limit my portions, undereat my sleeve, and I will continue to weigh myself everyday so I don't "shock" myself with weight gain - I've been through that too many times in my pre-op life, and I'm not going back!

Did that answer your question?  (I feel like I've been rambling).

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views