Worried

Ashley H.
on 12/27/11 4:38 am - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
Hey everyone... haven't been on in a while and I feel so bad about it.  I only have two more months to go before I have surgery and I haven't lost anything, but I haven't gained any weight either.  I have been very lazy.  Its like my brain knows "hey your gonna have surgery so live it up before then" and I don't want to do anything.  I feel like I have no energy and really just blah.  I still try to watch what what I eat but I have found myself sipping a soda here or eating the "bad" sweets.  I am worried that I need to shape up before surgery time.  Any advice or help?  My doctor wants me to start having my breakfast in the form of protein shakes but I haven't even bought some yet.  I don't even know where to begin.  I feel overwhelmed now.  HELP!!! 
Terry H.
on 12/27/11 4:51 am
 Ashley,

I think that the period before we get surgery has a lot to do with how well we do afterwards.  I wanted to make it easier on myself so I took baby steps over the 3 months before I got a surgical date.  First I stopped drinking with meals.  After a few days, I didn't miss it.  Next I dropped carbonated and caffinated drinks.  That one was a little tougher for me but once I stopped, I realized I drank them from habit as much as for enjoyment.  Next I fixed my food intake and started shakes for one meal.  This allowed me to find shakes I liked and start the weight loss process.  I also wanted to be in good shape for the surgery to make recovery easier.  I started a water aerobics program and felt much better before I had the surgery.

Now before it sounds like it was all dropping things or depriving myself, that was not the case.  I planned a number of food funerals for things that I enjoy that I wouldn't be able to have for a while after surgery.  Very important.  What I found is that I didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would.  For example, chinese buffet was one of those that I planned.  I took the time to consider whether I enjoyed the food or just the quantity.  I also had to admit that the quality wasn't that great.  So this helped me realize that I really had issues with food beyond what I had admitted before.  

The best place to start, in my opinion, is with the things that you are worried about post surgery.  Get in the swing of it and find the positives.  I think you'll find it easier this way.

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

pixel8me
on 12/27/11 4:56 am
I started with baby steps so I woudn't reach the overwhelmed part that you are facing come surgery day. Start off small - rome wasn't built in a day you know... Make small goals such as drinking a protein shake - then add another goal - no more drinking, "sipping"  or sneaking a drink of soda... remember moderation - it's not a race!!

As far as your proteins - I suggest going to a nutrition store and look for individual protein shake packages to try.  I'm not a fan of protein shakes so I started using Nectar unflavored protein powder which allows me to mix it with sugar free crystal light or coffee, just about anything!

energy level - have you gotten your labs yet for your surgery? I was experiencing the same problem and come to find out my vitamin B12 was down.

Rosemary1031
on 12/27/11 5:07 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
I am right there with you! My surgery date is Feb 6 and I have been balancing BLAH and motivation since I got all my paperwork. It sounds like you just need to really motivate yourself. How about planning a day to go out and buy the tools that will help you, such as (primarily) your protein shake, a food scale, a tablet container for all of your supplements, etc. I found that to be a reality checkpoint for me: this is going to happen!

Even though my liquid diet is not until mid-January, I am already replacing one meal a day with it so that when that time comes it won't be so difficult.

Don't get overwhelmed! This is going to be such a rad experience and consider yourself very lucky that you got your approval, that is really half the battle!
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/11 5:32 am
I'm really unclear on this.  You have a surgery date, yet cannot force yourself to drink a shake once a day.  You're about to have 85 percent of you stomach stapled off, not surgery on your mind.  You need to start today to learn how to control yourself regardless of how you feel. When you wake up from surgery you will have a smaller stomach, but it will be you making each and every decision that leads to weight loss.  You will have to force yourself to drink liquids, to walk in the hospital, to ease off on the pain meds.  You will have to force yourself to follow the liquid, full liquid, and soft foods diets.  You will need to force yourself to exercise nearly each and every day.  I can tell you that none of these are easy.  I can also tell you that you will never be able to eat the same way again.  For me, I'm willing to do them all to get healthy.  The key is to decide that you want something different than you have now.  Don't waste the time mourning what you are losing; don't say just give me one more day so I can eat "blank."

Decide to commit 100 percent.
(deactivated member)
on 12/27/11 6:01 am
Hi Ashely,
Sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed. I'm hoping I can help you a bit. You have some pretty good resources in your town to get the protein powder. First you have a Walmart Superstore and you also have a GNC (I did a quick google search). I saw that you have both Walgreen's and CVS stores, too.
GNC has a wide variety of protein powders. You want to look for one that is a whey protein isolate (that is the best kind for us). A very good one is Wheybolic Amplified Protein. It is currently on sale at GNC stores nationwide. Jay Robb proteins are supposed to be very good, too. I have not had them, but have a friend who swears by them. Another good source for protein drinks is Syntrax Nectar. I buy that at bariatricadvantage.com If you go to that website, you can call the 1-800 number and ask for their complimentary beginner's packet. I would also suggest ordering their single serving sample pack of Syntrax Nectar drinks. It will help you decide which flavors you like. The Nectar are more like fruit drinks (think KoolAid) not shakes. I like them a lot - though right now I'm doing shakes.
Another favorite for me pre op was Pure Protein shakes. I could get them at Trader Joe's, Fresh and Easy and CVS. The protein is a blend of isolate and concentrate, so it's still okay.

For my pre op I had to lose weight to get a surgery date so I was highly motivated. However, what I found to work really well for me was:
1. Start the day with a protein shake and a banana.
2. mid morning snack that was high protein (cheese, jerkey, turkey roll ups,....)
3. Lunch was a cup of greek yogurt, fruit, high fiber cereal mixed in
4. Sensible dinner - protein, veggie or salad, and a starch
5. Aimed for 64 oz of water everyday.
6. Goal of 100 grams of protein per day.

I deal really well with repetition, so a diet that repeated itself daily worked for me. I had something different for dinner every night, but breakfast and lunch were pretty much the same day in and day out. It was easy and I liked it, but it's not for everyone.
Eating this way I lost 20 pounds in under two months and got my surgery scheduled. Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Get on a plan and you'll be just fine.

Ashley H.
on 12/27/11 10:51 pm - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
Thank you so much! you have given me hope! I will go check out GNC and see what they have to offer! thanks again!
Ashley H.
on 12/27/11 6:05 am - Brownwood , TX
VSG on 03/01/12
thanks everyone for the positive comments... I just started taking B12 due to my levels low.   Maybe in a week or so I will feel better.  I think right now I am going to focus on finding me some protein shakes. 
happyteacher
on 12/27/11 6:07 am
 I think your doctor provided your starting point- protein shake for breakfast!  Just get out and get some, and you will feel better about beginning the right path!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Tirza T.
on 12/27/11 6:16 am
VSG on 01/17/12
I really can relate to you. In the beginning when I first found out about the surgery I was all gung ho and ready to go. I thought I would be having my surgery late Sept. or early Oct. 2011 because of my insurances 6 month weight management requirement. I started out at 330lbs and because I was only making little changes at the 6 month mark I was only down to 303lbs. But then there was one roadblock after another which kept postponing the surgery. When I got weighed this week I was back up to 322 lbs. Unfortnuately, everything was stalled for so long and now it is happening fast. The doctor's office called last weds. or thursday and I am now scheduled for 01/17/2012 surgery. Oh crap what did I do to myself? I stopped exercising and eating well (although I continued with my vitamins) and now I am afraid because I should have given myself a better advantage for the surgery. My pre-op diet starts the first but, because of my worries I have already started a low carb high lean protein diet.  I am not discouraged and you can always start again. You still have two whole months and you can do alot in 60 days. But don't do like me because now I have less than 3 weeks and I am freaking out. You will do great, don't beat yourself up and start to make small changes like others have posted.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views