Chickpea Waffles!

Cusscusscutie
on 12/27/11 7:08 am - MA
So good and for every 1/4 cup of chickpea flour there is 6 grams of protien!

Fawaffles with Spicy Tahini Sauce
makes 4 standard sized waffles- or 2 servings

1 cup chickpea flour
1/4 tsp each salt and baking powder
1 tbsp cumin and coriander
3/4-1 cup water
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
about 1/2 cup loosely packed, chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp oil

1 Stir together the dry ingredients, then mix in the water, garlic, onion, parsley and oil
2 Let rest while you preheat a well oiled waffle maker and make the sauce

1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp lemon juice
a hefty pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of salt

3 Whisk together until smooth
4 When the waffle iron is hot, pour in the batter and cook for about 10 minutes, or until little steam is coming out. This will vary from machine to machine- but mine took about 10
5 Pry off the waffle maker with a plastic utensil and top with the tahini sauce and extra fresh parsley

Dense, but delicious and surprisingly falafelly- these waffles are going to be added to my regular breakfast menu. They would also make a delicious lunch or dinner, or even a snack... Perfect for many restricted diets- gluten free, vegan (if you leave the yogurt out of the sauce), nut free, and dairy free (kind of goes with vegan I guess...) I served mine with some chopped fresh tomato and broiled eggplant to make a complete meal, though they would be nice with anything from cucumber to red onion , think about what you put on a falafel! Somehow, being in waffle form makes up for not being fried- I sense a trend!

Chana
on 12/27/11 7:22 am
That sounds like a recipe from my Israeli cousin!  I bet it would also be good as a base for tilapia or snapper cooked Moroccan style.
TexasSkirt
on 12/27/11 9:04 am
 Sound awesome. So stealing that! Thanks.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 148 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views