Vets: Immediate weight gain in maintenance?

wls2011
on 12/29/11 2:12 am - Ballston Lake, NY
Ok, so my body is doing strange things, or maybe this is normal...
Hoping to hear some experiences from those further out that have achieved maintenance. I checked over on that board, but it is less frequented and didn't see a topic about this.

My weight loss was slowing down the last few months, then it suddenly picked up, and I lost a good amount in a short time about 6 lbs in a week...and reached goal weight and even went 2 lbs under goal...and was wondering if the weight loss would end or I'd wind up too skinny...LOL...now within 1 week, I'm up 2 lbs & not happy that I'm .8 over goal weight. I know it's not earth shattering, but still a bit troubling.

I guess, my question is....is it normal for some rapid  fluctuations when trying to achieve maintenance or am I on a path to regaining significant weight...

I haven't changed anything really...still eating the same things and still doing the exercise, although I did indulge some on the holiday but I've always allowed for occasional indulgences throughout my losing phase. Just wondering what's going on...and if I need to take action of some sort.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Louisianawench
on 12/29/11 3:11 am - New Orleans, LA
VSG on 03/21/12
Holiday food could have contained salt, Salt will make you retain fluid.
(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 3:22 am, edited 12/30/11 11:18 pm
(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 4:07 am, edited 12/29/11 4:07 am
I don't know in your particular case as I really don't know your food plan, exercise or anything else but I can answer your question in a more general way. My doctor told me that for the majority of his patients that experience regain, begin to gain right after the loss in completed. He told me that the first year is pretty critical. I even set my first maintenance goal based on this observation. My first goal was to still be at goal one year from the day I first reached my goal. It kept me accountable. Again, this is not about your particular situation, it's just what I know to be the case in general.
frisco
on 12/29/11 4:56 am

For me the transition into maintenance was not much of a transition

WL pretty much stopped for me on the WL plan..... my WL plan was my maintenance......

After several months of holding the same weight I stared adding very slowly. I would say I'm about 80% of my WL plan.

As Elina said.....At final goal weight (had about 5 revisions) the Surgeon said "Stop...now hold this weight for a year.....just keep doing what your doing"

I was kinda bummed that he didn't tell me to add Lasagna and German Chocolate Cake to my diet to maintain.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Jp2lose
on 12/29/11 5:23 am - Omaha, NE
My maintenance plan is just like Elina and Frisco's. NOTHING changed for me when I hit my goal weight. My weight stabilized on it's own. I just keep doing what I've always done. If I see the scale dip down below the range I want to stay in, I add some calories for a few days. If my weight stays at the top of my range and I feel like I've been eating a lot and think the scale is destined to keep moving up, I cut back a little.

It's important to remember this is not a diet, it's for the rest of your life. The scale will move up and down a little and you just have to go with it.

As far as the 2 lbs, my guess is it's a normal fluctuation, especially since you lost the last of your weight quickly. I have a 2 lb range that I try to stay in to account for salt intake and hormonal changes.

Jen

wls2011
on 12/30/11 7:32 am - Ballston Lake, NY
Thanks everyone for your input....I appreciate it....

I will just keep watching...I used to limit myself to weekly weigh in, but I think for now, I will weigh daily like Elina has mentioned before, just to make sure that I'm not going too far off course...

I definitely want to make sure I don't go up anymore....and to Frisco, I hear ya on the lasagna and everything, I was hoping I'd get to add in more calories with some decadence, like daily cheescake...oh well....doesn't seem to be the case. LOL.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op