I want to stop losing weight.. I know sound alittle crazy

readyforit1975
on 12/31/11 9:10 am - MI
I am very comfortable at my present weight will this weight loss taper off at some point.
Ms Shell
on 12/31/11 9:27 am - Hawthorne, CA
The weight loss will usually continue until 1  year post op (for the most part).  But eating more calories and/or certain foods can always help you STOP losing...but it's a slippery slope.

MS Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Mom4Jazz
on 12/31/11 9:33 am
From what I've read, for some it tapers off before goal the last pounds are a battle. Others have to "make it stop" by changing calories and food choices (not too suddenly, though, gradually - you don't want to over-correct and gain) to avoid losing more than they want.

Best options for adding calories and slowing loss are healthy fats (nuts, nut butters, avacado) or healthy carbs (fruits and whole grains). The idea is not to increase the quantities of food you eat too much, just increase the calories of the food.

I've seen vets suggest increasing 100 calories a day for a week or two, then another 100 calories until you see where you maintain.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

readyforit1975
on 12/31/11 9:44 am - MI
No matter what I do I can not increase the quanity my restriction is crazy, I just really like where I am at i have no loose skin everything has gone down well, and I am afraid that if I lose any more I will look sick.
frisco
on 12/31/11 10:08 am

Higher calorie/carb protein/nutritional drinks........ah....even protein powder in Ice Cream or Milk Shake.....

Those should not close your Pyloric and not be effected by your restriction....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happyteacher
on 12/31/11 10:42 am
 Frisco- not close the pyloric?  Is this why I can drink fluids faster than what I think I should or eat 4 ounces of yogurt?  I need to go google the anatomy of this, as this is the first I have heard of it.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

frisco
on 12/31/11 10:56 am

Learning to work with your pyloric valve is very important to learn for sleeve eating.......and the most not taught subject.

Here is from a past post:

First, I’m not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.

This is a level one explanation.....there is more to it....but if you understand this....it will make some sense.

This may be old news to some..... But I’ve noticed a lot of people who have had VSG do not have any idea how the Pyloric Valve works.

This is my understanding how the Pyloric Valve works.

The Pyloric Valve function and how it pertains to your VSG.

The function of your Pyloric valve is the single most not talked about important part of understanding how and when you should eat and drink.

The Pyloric Valve is just that....It is a valve that is located at the bottom of your stomach/sleeve. This valve is in between your sleeve and the lower intestine. The basic definition of a valve is an apparatus that opens and closes.

When open this valve it is about the diameter of a dime. When closed it’s opening is closed down to the diameter of the head of a ballpoint pen.

Dense proteins and harder to digest foods will cause the Pyloric valve to close to hold the food in your stomach for pre-digestion...... stomach acids breaking down this “Rough" food. 

That’s why we are told to eat dense proteins first.....To close the Pyloric Valve so food stays in your stomach/sleeve longer so we have a sense of satisfaction.

It takes about 30-60 minutes for the food to clear the Pyloric Valve...... Than it’s OK to drink.

That is also where the term slider food  comes into play. A slider food does not close the Pyloric Valve and as the term is intended.....food slides right past an open Pyloric Valve.

So now the other half of the Pyloric Valve function..... You eat a dense protein like chicken that causes your Pyloric Valve to close. Say for example your sleeve has a 4oz. capacity.....and you eat 4oz. of chicken.....your sleeve is full and holding all 4 oz. of chicken for pre-digestion because your Pyloric Valve is closed. 

So now try and drink something....where is it gonna go? Up.....Up until it hits another valve of sorts..... the Esophageal Sphincter (valve) and above that is a flapper valve. The function of these two valves is to hold food, bile and stomach acids in your stomach and not backing up into your air way. This is a very high pressure system. Thats why when you eat to much or drink after eating a hard to digest food and your Pyloric is closed.....It hurts cause you pressurized your intake track. Vomiting would be a natural pressure release.

So you can see how learning and understanding how the Pyloric Valve works is important as it pertains to eating and drinking with a Gastric Sleeve.

So that was kinda like VSG and the Pyloric Valve 101

As you get further a long you will want to use the Pyloric Valve in other ways to keep food in your sleeve longer to stay satisfied longer. 

A sleeve empties faster than a stock un altered full size stomach so sometimes it’s beneficial for you to learn what foods stay in your sleeve longer to extend satisfaction.

Dense proteins are #1 in closing the Pyloric Valve. Chicken, steak, pork, fish.....in that order seems to be the way it goes for me.

Other foods that are hard to digest and help close the Pyloric Valve are foods like:

• Broccoli Stalk
  • Asparagus
  • Celery
  • Cucumber with Skin
  • Radish
  • Cabbage (I’m testing this right now)
  • Bell Pepper

So I hope you understand my 5 cent tour of the Pyloric Valve and how it effects the way we eat with a VSG and how important it is to work the Pyloric Valve to your benefit.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Texasteacher68
on 12/31/11 8:03 pm - TX
 Frisco...you are a genius! No one has ever mentioned that valve to me. It certainly makes sense. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us! 
vacationlover
on 12/31/11 9:45 pm
(deactivated member)
on 1/1/12 1:11 am, edited 1/1/12 1:13 am
Frisco, you should re-post this every few months. Most doctors don't explain this and very few people have an understanding of how the pyloric valve works and how to work with it. Never mind, I am just re-posting it for you now.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 248 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 315 views