1 month out...how were you feeling/eating?

Stronger1
on 12/31/11 12:55 pm - Charlotte, NC

I was 4 weeks out from surgery last Thursday and it has been quite a ride.  Thankfully no real complications and despite a few moments of weakness I am so glad that I did this for my self.  I feel pretty good...just wondering how other's felt at this post.  About a week ago I started having gas pains in my abdomen, then in my shoulders, which is weird because I did not have that much gas at first...did anyone else have gas pains this far out?
Also I am still struggling to get all my liquids/protein in.  Everytime I drink I feel it sit at the top of my sleeve, then slowly go down, and then I burp.  I wait a few seconds, then start again..This makes it extremely hard to reach the minimum 64 ounces of water a day.  Strangely though, I can get down food a little better, and definitely quicker.  Go figure. 
I know that things will get better and I look forward to that time...I'm currently not losing pounds...but I can tell I am losing inches so I am ok with that...the dreaded 3 week stall.  Right now I am so grateful I was able to have this surgery I will take everthing as it comes. 

sleeve genie
on 12/31/11 1:14 pm - Alhambra, CA
Congratulations on your surgery,   it will keep getting better, it takes a while to be able to get all your fluids but soup and protein drinks count,   its amazing how important getting your water is. I never got gas so no advice there but walking is good for gas -----and maybe ask your doctor if it continues,      good luck to you I'm sure you'll do great,        what a great way to start the new year     lets hope we all have a great one,  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

P_B
on 12/31/11 1:48 pm - Norfolk, VA
I'm a month out now and eating protein of kinds from shrimp ,chicken, ground beef to ham. I'm making my protein goal easily with 4 meals a day and no snacks.
Try different temps of liquids, I do better with ice cold drinks. I've started putting my cup in the freezer at the beginning of my meal and by the time I'm done and 30min have passed its perfect a little ice on he edges.

dittodotv
on 12/31/11 2:32 pm
Wow P_B, that is amazing that you are able to do 4 meals a day and having no problems...

stronger1: I am the opposite! I have had no problems drinking, sipping, getting in my fluids, drinking protein drinks, etc. In fact I prefer drinking to eating... I am supposed to be where P_B is right now, eating soft foods and getting in my protein thru foods alone, but every time I eat I get this strange feeling empty feeling in my esophagus... I keep taking small bites and when I am at about 2 oz. I start burping and then I stop. BUT, I feel hungry after that, and I have that empty hollow feeling - it feels like acid reflux, but, I am taking one omeprazale a day, so I don't know what to do! I actually stare at my food and dread beginning because I know I am going to feel yucky afterwards...

I am sorry you are having the gas and everything, I wish I had words of wisdom for you, but I guess both of us just need to keep moving forward slowly trying to do what we know we need to do.

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/11 4:25 pm - WV
I am starting my 4th week out this week and I am still having trouble getting all my water in...I am averaging about 40 ounces a day, and as for food, some days I want it and some days I dont.  I still drink my protein and eat a little meat but not more than 1/4 cup.  I am still measuring to a 1/4 cup and or 3 tablespoons.  That is all I want.  I am really not hungry.  I wish I could say I want food but I do not.  I am completely satisfied with the protein shakes.  I too have hit a stall...I have not lost a pound in 1 week, but the inches are coming off and I can see it in my face and body.  I received a gym membership for Christmas and I cannot wait to start doing something else other than walking.  But it will all come in time as I have read.

frenchgrapes
on 12/31/11 6:18 pm - TX
I almost feel like I haven't had any kind of surgery. No problems getting in my liquids and proteins. I'm on mushies but so far I'm still mostly soups with blenderized chicken and cheese in them, mashed up hardboiled eggs with lite mayo, protein drinks, hummus, mashed potatoes, grits with protein powder, mashed beans, etc. I've tried tuna but it is still a little much for my tummy. I'm going to try scrambled eggs and maybe some baked potato today. I'm also going to cook some blackeye peas and try to eat those. It is New Year's Day and in my neck of the woods blackeye peas on New Year's Day is a must. Don't think I can do the cornbread yet though.

I'm walking on my treadmill about 30 minutes most days and I can go back to water aerobics around the middle of the month. Trying to learn Tai Chi - which is not as easy as it looks. Been using some 3 lb. weights to do some arm exercises too. Looking forward to going back to Heavy Weight Yoga in February too.

Basically, I'm feeling really good, transitioning into new habits to take advantage of having this surgery to improve my health, and looking forward to the changes this coming year will bring.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
landdnurse2
on 12/31/11 9:33 pm - Midwest City, OK
I am 4 weeks out and able to advance to purees. My physician is strick on the post-op diet. I will not start regular foods until 63 days post-op.I am drinking 80 oz of water in addition to 3 protein shakes.
Finally have normal bowel movements. No pain for 2 weeks.
I do get up 2-3 times a night to use the rest room to urinate.
I've been back to work since 12/19. Had a rough couple of days, but no complaints now. My weight loss has slowed down, that is why I upped my water. I walk 1-2 miles at least 4 days a week. I am losing inches also!
No regrets!

HW 321 (9/08) SW 312 (1/11)  Pre-op 280 (11/1) Surgery 270 (12/11)
minkyluvs
on 12/31/11 10:06 pm - Detroit, MI
 I'm 4 weeks out and I'm always hungry.  I'm getting my water down, doing my exercise and I feel hungry.  Not like in the beginning where I was so gunho about working out happy about my surgery to I'm feeling in the dumps know.  And I want to eat everything.  I'm not hungry just want to have something in my mouth.  How do I fix this feeling?  How do I tell myself that I don't need nor want it in my mouth?
Stronger1
on 1/1/12 10:10 pm - Charlotte, NC
I'm sorry you are down in the dumps right now.  I went through that about a week ago and things are better.  I think all of us go through that phase.  Things will start looking up!!! It might help if you are on an acid reducer??  I am just now getting some hunger back but it's not bad at all.

lisapelly
on 12/31/11 10:09 pm
 I am a little concerned about my progress. I have only lost 20 pounds. My surgeon only gave me a guide that says eat only when you are hungry and it's ok to go a day or two without taking in calories if you are not hungry. So I eat very little. Usually about 350 calories. I average 30-45 grams of protein, and rarely can get my 64oz of water. I do try, but I just don't feel I can fit it. Also, I want to start exercising but I have had my parents visiting this whole month and while they encourage me, they sleep late and I am a morning exerciser so I hesitate to crank the tunes and wake them. As soon as they go home I am so ready to get moving again. I feel like a slug. But other than the lack of exercise, should I be eating more? I see every else gets more calories in than I do. 
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views