just wanted a reaction about this !!!!!!!

karenbarb
on 1/4/12 8:27 pm - Roselle, NJ
Revision on 01/18/12
i just wanted to post my story !!!!!! i am getting my band removed on the 18th... the dr. said that if i look good he will poss. sleeve me... but with the erosion it is not lookin good... but, i can come back 6 wks to get my sleeve....NOW ORIGINALLY MY BOSS SAID OK, SO U NEED TWO SURG... AND THAT WAS SAID IN NOV.....i goto work and tell them i may not get sleeved in one shot and my boss says,WELL U CANT TAKE OFF TWICE IN ONE YEAR FOR SURGERY... THE FIRST SURGERY TO REMOVE THE BAND HAS TO BE DONE, BUT THE SECOND ONE IS ELECTIVE AND U DONT NEED TO BE SLEEVED !!!!!!! WTF !!!!!!  NOW I HAD TO CALL MY DR. AND TELL THEM WHAT MY BOSS SAID TO ME, AFTER I TOLD THE DR. OFFICE THAT MY JOB KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON AND WAS OK WITH IT... NOW MY INS. COORD. HAS ALREADY SUBMITTED FOR APPROVAL, AND WHEN I TALKED TO HIM YEST. HE SAID IT WAS SUBMITTED FOR BAND REMOVAL PLUS SLEEVE REVISION...... SO IF I GET EVERYTHING DONE IN ONE SHOT AND NEED TO BE OUT OF WORK FOR 6-8 WKS THATS OK ????? BUT TO GET THE BAND REMOVED AND BE BACK AT WORK WITHIN A WEEK, THEN TAKIN OFF 6 WEEKS LATER FOR ANOTHER 6 IS NOT OK ???????? SO, MY DR. OFFICE SAID THAT THE SECOND SURG. IS NOT ELECTIVE AND THAT I AM MORBIDLY OBESE AND THAT I HAVE A CONDITION, MY INS. COORD ALSO SAID I WILL WRITE U A LETTER FOR YOUR JOB KAREN....THEY CANNOT TELL U THAT U DO NOT NEED THIS SURGERY.....U HAVE ACHES AND PAINS DUE TO OBESITY......SO WHAT DO U GUYS THINK ABOUT THIS.....BTW I AM A KIND. TEACHER...OH THEN MY BOSS GOES....U CAN JUST WAIT TILL SUMMER AND TAKE THE SUMMER OFF....( I TEACH A A DAYCARE CENTER)... YEAH RIGHT, I WANT TO SPEND MY SUMMER RECOVERING AND NOT HAVE ALREADY LOST 20 LBS..... TO LOOK AND FEEL BETTER BY THE SUMMER !!!!!!! GOD SO ANNOYED RIGHT NOW...SO TODAY MY INS. FRIEND IS TALKING TO THE DR. TO EXPLAIN THE SITUATION........WISH ME LUCK ....BUT I KNOW MY DR. WILL DO WHATS IN THE BEST INTEREST FOR ME...NOT MY FRIGGIN JOB !!!!!!

IT IS A NEVERENDING BATTLE, THAT I WILL NOT LOSE

Bruce S.
on 1/4/12 8:39 pm - Portland, TN
Curious what type company you work for.  How many employees they have?  Did you work at least 1250 hours there in the previous 12 months?  If the conditions are right you may qualify for FMLA.  In that case they would be hard pressed to not allow the absence.  Paid or otherwise.
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/12 9:05 pm
 BINGO!
bigmama3
on 1/4/12 9:36 pm

Unfortunately, FMLA may not qualify here.  A company has to offer FMLA if an eligible employee has worked a minimum of 12 months and 1,250 hours in the 12 months preceding the leave; however, a company that has less than 50 employees at a work site does not have to comply with FMLA.

regardless, your boss sounds horrible.

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

Krazydoglady
on 1/4/12 8:45 pm - FL
If you qualify for FMLA, you're entitled to 12 weeks within 12 months, legally, even if it's 'intermittent.' All you need is medical necessity certification from your physician. FMLA qualifiation is dependent on your hours work, time of service, and the size of your employer.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/12 9:05 pm
 You get a BINGO too!
jerzeegirl4ever
on 1/4/12 8:50 pm, edited 1/4/12 9:57 pm - Monroe Township, NJ
I had lap band removed in September and due to erosion & scarring had to wait 90 days to get revision to sleeve done December 14, 2011. I took one week vacation in Sept with the band removal...had little to no pain. I am currently on medical leave since December 14th revision to sleeve. I will be out 4-6 weeks.

I would contact your Human Resources Department...whether family leave or medical leave is usually approved by HR, not your immediate supervisor. HIPPA regulations keep your medical information confidential. Your boss does not need to know all your business (so to speak).
Cindy22706
on 1/4/12 8:50 pm - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I am not sure about your companies policies and what not, but I know that doing both surgeries at one time can be dangerous, so I would elect to do them seperate if it was me. I was told that the swelling from the removal of the band can somehow mess up the sleeve.
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/12 9:46 pm - CA

Right, I think the concern is that she needs to take off two separate occasions.  Her boss does not want to approve the time off.

Cindy22706
on 1/4/12 10:15 pm - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
Your right, I was just saying it may be dangerous...

BTW I was just thinking about you the other day because I havent seen you for a long time!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views