HUSBAND DOUBTING MY DECISION

MichelleChoinski
on 1/4/12 10:07 pm - NY
So I will be having the sleeve done in a few short weeks.  My husbant is supportive but as an Engineer who needs a technical explanation for EVERYTHING is quite worried about most of my stomach being removed.  His thoughts are that it was put there for a reason and there aren't enough studies done to know any real long term effects it may have.
Any thoughts, advice, tech. info etc is appreciated!!!!!

Michelle
debk21
on 1/4/12 10:13 pm - Mansfield, TX
Of course he will question this.  He loves you and he's worried about you going under the knife.  Just try to allay his fears with all the technical information you can and if he remains supportive, you're good to go.  My DH was very supportive and thankfully, held in his doubts and fears because he knew this is what I really wanted - no needed - to do.  I am thankful that he held his tongue, but not all husbands will do that.  Just let him know you love him and that he will see you on the other side of this surgery and that you know in your heart this is the right thing for you to do.  Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

P_B
on 1/4/12 10:17 pm - Norfolk, VA
The sleeve has been around for long time, before it was used for weightloss it was used for people whom have stomach cancer. You can actually live without a stomach

doggz109
on 1/4/12 10:19 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
PB hit the nail on the head....listen to her.  The sleeve has been around for decades as a treatment for a variety of stomach problems (ulcers, cancer, etc).  It is only recently used as a STAND ALONE weight loss procedure. 
Emily W.
on 1/4/12 10:21 pm - Burnsville, MN
VSG on 01/09/12
My husband sounds the same as yours.  He really hasn't said much other than he really did not like the bypass.  Once I explained the sleeve, he was better, but I still think he is not happy with me doing this.  I am doing this for myself.  It is hard for someone who has never struggled with weight issues to understand the need for this tool.  My surgery is Monday and I am all sorts of emotions right now, but I am excited to have this opportunity.  I just can't live like this anymore and I am so tired of the yo-yo dieting - I am ready for a permanent change to my lifestyle and feel blessed to get this tool to help.  Just remind him you need this for you and that you love him and thank him for the support.  Best wishes!
dittodotv
on 1/4/12 10:23 pm
I have a friend who is in her 60's and she had to have more than 2/3 of her stomach removed last May due to a horrible hernia that had been around for over 20 years-it had done extreme damage to her stomach...it was purely a physician's decision when he went in, he had no choice. So she woke up from surgery to find herself basically a bariatric patient...no choice. She was overweight and has lost over 40 lbs. since then and hs been such a help to me in my journey.

As was stated above, medical personnel have done this surgery for many many years when people have had severe ulcers, hernias, cancer, and other medical reasons. We can live without our stomachs (altho it isn't pleasant b/c of the ramifications, etc) but, this procedure for those reasons has been around for many years. You should be able to do a Google search and find studies that support it for these reasons.

And then I just have to agree with the other poster that said he loves you. He doesn't want anything to go wrong and wants to make sure you will be OK. My husband was not entirely supportive before the surgery either, but, he has come on board since (he has no choice!). It is a hard decison to make, best wishes to you in this journey!

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

ALAN J.
on 1/4/12 10:56 pm

I too am an Aerospace Engineer and I had my doubts as well, but there is so much information out there to read and study that after a short period of time I changed my mind from having the Lap-Band surgery to the VSG.  I agree with all the comments said above.

Just have your husband do some research if he is worried, have him speak to a Physician, and read all of the studies and statistics that have been done on this.  I am confident that once he does this, his mind will be put at ease.  Mine was!

Good luck to you!

Highest WGT-295, Surgery WGT-295, Goal WGT-215 - 80LB LOST in 8 months!

has1908
on 1/5/12 12:36 am - TX
 My hubby is a lawyer and trained to question everything! I had him come to my prep appointment, meet my surgeon, and ask all the questions he had. It reassured him. I was sleeved 12/14/11, and he's been extra supportive.

superchickk51
on 1/5/12 2:50 am
 My husband was totally against it, and was the day I went in for surgery. But now he is having me try on all my old stuff to see if it fits. not to mention he cant keep his hand off me and its not even 2 weeks out yet. I love my sleeve. 

good luck to you and your journey.

newmommolly
on 1/5/12 4:28 am - Cincinnati, OH
It may be interesting to note for your husband that although this procedure is newly being used for the purpose of weight loss, the surgery itself is NOT!  According to my doctor, this surgery has been around for decades (early 80's), used to treat non-obesity related ailments such as severe stomach ulcers and other liver related ailments.  Doctors have known that weight loss was the side affect of the operation,, although it wasn't the original intended purpose for the surgery.  It wasn't until the past 5-6 years that doctors realized this surgery could be used as a viable alternative to gastric by-pass specifically for the treatment of morbid obesity.  Old procedure, new application...if that makes sense. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 109 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views