VSG and hypothyroid?

PkSteph
on 1/5/12 10:19 am
Anyone here have a VSG and have hypothyroidism?  Has your loss been slow?   Do you find you need to exercise more than most?

Just wondering... since I'm hypo myself and a newby WLS (and haven't had my consoltations yet lol).

slimpickins5280
on 1/5/12 10:51 am - CO
I *had* hypothyroidism (stil love saying "had") when I got surgery. About a month after surgery my thyroid went the other way and I was taken of Levothyroxine.

So, I don't know if I count, but here are my stats.

Sleeve weight - 215
Current weight - 188
Post of weight loss - 27 lbs

I'm about 2 1/2 months out from my surgery. I don't look at monthly totals, but I'm averaging about 8-10 lbs a month.

You can lose weight with hypothyrodism and the Sleeve.

I do work out a lot, but it's because I like to workout. I wouldn't say my loss is slow, especially considering I fall in the "light weight" category.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I have other things working against weightloss as well and am still doing great. I had a full hysterectomy in 2010, I was pre-diabetic and I had high cholesterol. --Notice the word "had' and "was." 

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

scorp2413
on 1/5/12 10:53 am, edited 1/5/12 10:54 am - orchard park, NY
I had the VSG and have hypothyroidism plus PCOS. I am very pleased with my weightloss especially after reading that PCOS patients may have slower losses with VSG. My thyroid bloodwork has been stable for about a year prior to the VSG. I am currently 8.5 weeks out and am down 46lbs!  Good luck on your journey!

mrs.millan
on 1/5/12 11:19 am - Petaluma, CA

before surgery I had hypothyriodism and ulcerative colitis, iron defiency.  before weightloss surgery I weighed 280, after a year I now weigh 168lbs and its been a year and 2 months since I had surgery, I lost weight pretty quickly...and because of my ulcerative colitis I dont exercise much at all.  And when I went to the doctors I was having chest pain and couldnt sleep at all, it was because suprise my thyroid was overactive and my levothroid was too high...so ya, I took my self off my thyroid, and I am sleeping like a baby and no chest pain...but dont do that I am going to my doc to have it tested this month again....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
PkSteph
on 1/5/12 12:00 pm
I'm glad to see y'all are doing good! 
Are you all off meds completely?  I didn't think there was a cure for it.  I always expected to be on meds for life... just a lower dose. (I take Armour).

janielynne
on 1/5/12 12:11 pm

I was dx with hypothyroidism about 5 yrs ago during my IVF treatments.  I take a very large dose of synthroid( 137 mg/daily). I am 9 mths post op and have lost 85 lbs.  My TSH numbers have dropped a little , but still in normal range.  We will redo my labs in 3mths, to be sure that I still need that dose. 

I feel pretty good most days.  I consider myself a slow loser, but I'm not complaining,  It feels to GREAT to complain....

As far as my hair loss, I had a lot before surgery.  I had very long and very thick hair pre dx with Hypothyroid.  When I finally had my VSG it was bad.  I had a few days that I would cry in the shower..with my hand full of hair.   So I finally just cut it short and said SCREW IT !!!

Well I'm finally seeing  A LOT of  regrowth.. Some days my hair looks crazy, with all the little hairs everywhere.  I just deal with it.  I know that in a few months I will be able to style it again.  AND I can't wait.

Don't let the hair fear scare you....This will pass and you will be SOOOO Happy with your new body, you will be able to deal with the short period of time that you have to deal with the hair issues...

Best of Luck to you....
Hope to see you on the loser bench soon..
Jane

2muchfluff
on 1/5/12 12:48 pm
 I have had a complete thyroidectomy and was hypo for a long time before that.  I was worried that I would not be able to lose because of being hypo.  I am also on Armour.  Synthroid did absolutely nothing for me.  I don't  think my loss has been slower than most.  I don't exercise much due to other health issues that are aggravated by it.  I have had to keep a closer watch on TSH levels with weight loss, as it has a huge impact.  I have had to have several adjustments in dose since surgery, but feel like I am at a good level right now.  

move2lose
on 1/5/12 1:16 pm - Australia
I am severely hypothyroid, plus have PCOS and sleep apnea.  My loss has been excruciatingly slow for the past nearly three years, but it has been steady and I have continued to lose even though life has got in the way and I havn't paid as much attention to my diet and excercise (I am physically active though).

Therefore if I can still loose weight, I say anyone who only has one of the fat loving medical problems that I have will have no problems loosing weight if they put their mind to it;)

VSG: 20 April 2009  HW: 246lbs   Surgery: 224lbs      CW: 175lbs     Goal: 143lbs   

PCOS, Hypothyroid, Sleep Apnea, Fybromyalgia, former diabetic.  5'1" & 41 years old

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views