Skin Surgery Question

MichelleChoinski
on 1/6/12 1:53 am - NY
So one of my great fears after having been sleeved is if I will need skin surgery.  My Dr. said he doesn't know.
I am 5'3" and 265 lbs.
I was hoping I wouldn't need any.

I guess I am looking for your experience?

Also,
The only fear I have of surgery is never waking up.  Is this a normal fear?
anxiousme
on 1/6/12 5:52 am - CA
Oh my goodness...I'm right there with you in both of your questions.  Hopefully, we can get some reassurance from others.

emelar
on 1/6/12 6:03 am - TX
Skin - you won't know until you know.  Several factors play into how much excess skin you have - age, genetics, and how long you've been obese.  Chances are, you'll have excess.  It all becomes a question of how much it bothers you.  But excess skin doesn't cause diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea or affect your mobility - fat does.

Losing fast or slow doesn't matter.  Exercise, particularly weight training, will build your musculature and give the skin something to drape over nicely, but it won't make the skin go away.  Moisturizing will make you feel good, but isn't going to shrink the skin. 

emelar
on 1/6/12 6:05 am - TX
Oh, and the fear of not waking up from surgery - perfectly normal.  If you find your nerves are getting the better of you the morning of surgery, ask for some happy juice to calm you down.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 109 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views