vsg surgery days 1 and 2

gloria P.
on 1/7/12 12:56 pm - Fayetteville , AR
VSG on 01/06/12
I had the vertical gastric sleeve surgery in Henderson, Nevada by Dr. Thomas Umbach yesteray.  Day one, I walked for 10 minutes x 3.  I drank my about 500 ml of water and drank 1 isopure.  This is a zero carb 15gm protein and tastes like vitamin water.  Not terrible and i paid $10 usd for a six pack.  I was told to drink at room temp which i didnt mind.  Pain was a little bad but was given liquid hydrocodone and plenty so i did not have to suffer.  Also, I have an implanted marcaine pump which should last until sometime sunday or monday. I was not given any nausea medication but I brought my own zofran given to my by my primary care physician at home because I did not want to risk having any nausea or vomiting.  I took doses x 2 on day 1.  Today is day 2.  I have taken a shower and have not really been hungry.  I have tried to focus on hydration as Dr. Umbach and staff state that dehydration is the main reason for hospitalization.  I will do the same exercise today.  I have found this web site not easy to navigate and so i have not figured out what all there is here.  i mainly want to document my progress and pain so that others can plan accordingly when planning for the surgery.  I have arthritis and the main reason I wanted to have this surgery is to be able to walk without pain in my knee.  I paid cash for my surgery and did not use my insurance because it only paid $4000 per calendar year and i did not care to jump through their hoops. what bs that is.  I plan to stay in Las Vegas until 1-10-12 and i have 2 family members with me and we are staying in a condo instead of a hotel.  Bring paper tape because the tape seems to fall off and you will need to replace it.  Also check the connections on the marcaine pump.  they should be screwed on tight and mine werent.  people forget to do this when they prime it.  they are left loose by the manufacture for gas sterilization purposes and can leak if not tight.
BriarRose
on 1/7/12 11:46 pm
Sounds like you are doing great. Spend some time just clicking around here....but these forums are great for inspiration, and for asking questions. Much luck to you !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views