VSG while single and living alone??

momsy55
on 1/9/12 9:54 am - ME
I was in the hospital for 2 nights, so I was being looked after.  Having someone with you in the event something happens is a good idea.  Most of the time, things go smoothly, but with any medical procedure, and after having anesthesia, there are risks.  Wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry?  Just my thoughts.  Good luck!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

MutteringDuck
on 1/9/12 2:01 pm - CT
 as a nurse, i second this!!!

HW: 291  SW: 276    
(deactivated member)
on 1/9/12 9:26 am
I've got kids but things have changed, not just from surgery but with the economy I changed how I shop. I buy some of the basics regularly but I shop almost daily. Cuts down on waste, eating packaged foods and I buy in smaller amounts.

Pre surgery I got the 7-8 bananas now 4. I don't keep junk in the house, if I want a small treat, I buy 1 portion. And a portion now is much smaller. I stock up on protein snacks, string cheese, yogurt, nuts, some protein bars on occasion, sliced turkey, etc.

I do keep carbs for my boys but I don't buy things that trigger me. Besides they eat my cupboards bare constantly LOL.

You may want a hobby or to find an activity group for singles or you may just find your house is even cleaner!
Tenacious88
on 1/9/12 10:07 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14
Hi: Got the BIG "D" six years ago, living alone and loving it. Have been married three times, but would not like to get married again. I have learned my lesson from this passage, Proverbs 21:19
"It is better to live alone in the desert than with a crabby, complaining wife or (husband.)
I added the husband just to be fair to all.
Now I can ea****ch t.v, go out, sleep and stay on the computer until 2 to 3 a:m without someone telling me what to do.
For now I don't want nor need a girl friend in my life, maybe in the future.
All I'm thinking about now is getting WLS and staying healthy at 63.

dittodotv
on 1/9/12 10:22 am
I am sure you will be fine...after all, you have OH to "chat" with and provide a listening ear if you need it! I live with my husband and two kids, and believe me, I love them to death, but I think it would have been far easier for the first six weeks if all I had to look after was ME. Fortunately my church family provided several meals for them the first two weeks, because honestly, the first two weeks I didn't even want to venture into the kitchen. And now having to cook for them and watch them eat junk food (my husband works for Keebler/Kelloggs, boxes of junk in our house-its not going anywhere) is hard... I love the suggestions the people above gave you for cooking/organizing.

Best wishes to you in your journey!

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

wwjdmommy
on 1/9/12 10:39 am - maud, TX
I live alone  and yes sometimes its lonely but I am lucky enough to have kids and parents that are very supportive and my cheering section. I do have times when I have the poor me's but I find that I enjoy my time alone too.  I eat my meals when I need to and I read my weight loss surgery cookbook and play with my little dog who is lots of company.  I dont waste nearly as much as I did presurgery and spend much less at the store.  I am going to try some of the suggestions you got from all the gang about freezing portions and stuff sounds like good ideas!!! Well keep your chin up and keep going through the plan and you will be fine!!!!!!!

MsLove01
on 1/9/12 11:13 am - WA
I am single, live alone and it really does make it much easier. My grocery bill has gone from $300 a month to less than $100.
I buy Soy milk, protein powder, eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, light cooked sausage, low carb yogurt, canned soup, canned chicken, canned tuna, refried beans, salsa and cheese sticks. I am not throwing out the amount of food I did before. I always bought fruit and veggies..never ate them. I would by yogurt, cottage cheese...never eat it. I went out for fast food all the time.

I am saving a ton of money on luch too. I brink my AM protein/coffee shake, a yogurt and cheese stick. I have a can of soup in my drawer in case I get hungry...but it hasn't happened yet lol.

Good luck!!
Marlene

Sassy B
on 1/9/12 1:09 pm
I live alone, and had VSG in October. I dont have family, and had to ask friends to come help me out the day of surgery and the first few days, which I hated to do, but everyone was really nice and eager to help.

Now I do all my own cooking... I pack a lunch for myself every day, and make dinner at home. One trick I use is that I buy a HUGE bag of shrimp when they are on sale, and I can thaw and eat just what I need easily. I throw them on salad, or put some marinade on them and cook them with a handful of frozen veggies for a quick stirfry.

Im glad I live alone... there's no temptation in the house, so its easier for me!

You'll do great!

5'9", 31 year-old female pescetarian VSGer!   ///   Surgery by Dr. Steven Clark on 14-Oct-2012.

vacationlover
on 1/9/12 8:12 pm
gonersmom
on 1/10/12 12:57 am
Keep in mind...even during the post-op liquids/mushy/soft foods periods you can still go out to your favorite places to eat. It's all about making the proper choices.

For me, small town living means your social life is 'in town'. Since about a week post op I've gone to the local diners, etc often having a glass of milk, soup/chili, or cottage cheese. I take my book or knitting along in case there's nobody to catch up with. It's my 'me' time and a great part of my day!

Best wishes.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views