VSG while single and living alone??

KSqtpie
on 1/9/12 8:09 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12

At this point in my life I am single and living completely alone. My therapist seems to think this is a fantastic situation because after surgery I will be able to control my environment a lot easier. I am a little worried though.

I rarely go grocery shopping and even when I do I end up throwing away food because I don't eat it fast enough (a big reason I eat out or eat prepackaged food). I am worried about how I will be able to eat a variety of meals and snacks postop without wasting a lot of food. Any sugggestions??

I am also afraid to becoming depressed. Being at home without the comfort of food to suppress my feelings of lonliness or boredom is going to be a huge adjustment. It's been 3 yrs since my divorce and I have definitely been filling that void with food. I am trying to wrap my brain around how I am going to handle this huge change.

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/9/12 8:14 am
Sounds like you are trying to prepare, so that's a great step!  I think VSG while living alone will be fine.  You may want to have someone that you can call nearby in the event you have problems for the first few days, but other than that, it should be good.

I hate throwing food out, so it's been an adjustment to cook less (it's me and hubby).  I mostly eat meat, veggies, nuts, cheese and protein shakes, so portioning them out into manageable sizes is pretty easy.  When I buy meat, I freeze the right portion in ziploc bags.  Veggies I only buy enough that I will finish in a week.  Nuts keep well.  Cheese keeps well.  ANd protein shakes, well, they're fine too.  It will just take a little more planning on your part.

Regarding eating your feelings... I do the same.  So I am in counseling to figure out WHY and then what strategies I can use to NOT eat my feelings.  So far it's going ok.  Definitely making progress, but still work left to do.

Good luck!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

KSqtpie
on 1/9/12 1:59 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12

Thanks for the tips! My mom will be staying with me for the first couple days after surgery. I might be 32, but I still want my mommy when I don't feel good.

Preparing has been my downfall. That's why I always fail on diets, but I really need to get my head in the game and change my lifestyle before surgery so it won't be a shock. Thank you!

duckheadz
on 1/10/12 2:08 am - MN
I am in the same situation and used to never shop for food because I would just throw it out after it rotted! Now I have to cook at home and grocery shop because for one, it is totally un-economical to eat out since I can't eat much, and for two, I swore off all fast food completely so I HAVE to wait til I get home to eat. 

I bought a lot of little 1/2 cup Rubbermaid containers and freezer bags. I cook something "real" and normal sized like pot roast or a chicken dish and then divide it up into little containers to eat the next day or two and then freeze the rest. Then I always have a lunch in the freezer to take to work or to heat up after work for dinner.  I buy fruit like grapefruit and oranges and peel and section them out into little baggies or containers so I have a couple of tablespoons of fruit at the ready always.  I mix up a can of tuna with apples and light miracle whip and divide into 4 servings in little containers to have ready for breakfast or a snack (these do not freeze well :)  And I just buy small things. Like 2 ounce cheese wedges and 1/4 pound of deli meat at a time. I like variety so I can't stand eating the same thing all week so I just buy small.  You'll find it is easy once you get in the groove.  It may cost a little more to buy smaller quantities but compared to throwing food out, it's actually saving money. 

You can do this :)  And the best moment for me since my wls was when I saw my ex-husband and he just blurted out "Oh  my god, you look amazing!" and then of course, was mortified he had complimented me. Hee hee.. So delicious :) 
Debra P.
on 1/9/12 8:16 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 I am in the same boat, except I have been divorced much longer. 
Believe me when I say that your confidence will be boosted when you start shedding pounds and noticing the attention you start getting from the opposite sex. 
When your confidence is high, it's hard to resort to self destructive ways. If you truly want to make this change in your life, NOTHING will stop you !!  
Be strong and show the world (and your ex) you have self value.  

KSqtpie
on 1/9/12 2:02 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thanks for the support! I can't say I haven't had a few skinny fantasies of accidentally on purpose bumping into my ex husband once I get to goal weight. I moved away, so it might be hard to make that happen but it sure would be a nice bit of closure. Especially since he left me because I was overweight, but has since put on the pounds himself. Karma is a b*&%$!! hahaha
emdesq
on 1/9/12 8:31 am
I'm single and living alone and haven't had any problems at all in dealing with food choices.  Like the other posters, I buy small amounts of food at a time, and I find that it lasts a long time.  I do protein shakes for breakfast, and sometimes for lunch.  Otherwise, it's eggs, meat, and fish. I don't have much room left over after a couple ounces of protein.  I miss having food as a psychological comfort, or to use as a reward for myself, but letting go of that part of my old life is part of the process with this surgery.

You can do it!

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200
KSqtpie
on 1/9/12 2:05 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Sounds simple....just worried about it getting boring. I guess I don't have a choice to go back to my old lifestyle when I get bored like what happens when I am on a traditional "diet". Thanks for the tips...we'll see how this goes...weeeeeee :)
infodiva808
on 1/9/12 8:34 am
Just to add to Silly_Sweet's reply, you can buy frozen vegetables. They are just as nutritious as fresh. There are some though that I prefer fresh. I have been known to buy 1 stalk of broccoli. Also I like the grape tomatoes, small bite snack!

I usually prepare my meals on one day of the week and portion it out, freezing the excess, making my own "lean cuisine". Eventually you will find you have tons of choices in your freezer.

I recommend something I just found last week. The pocket hunger coach! Whenever you are feeling those uncomfortable feelings that make you turn to food, this will help you sort out the feelings by asking you questions. I find it helpful. It is even an app for your phone or computer.

http://www.shrinkyourself.com/pockethungercoach/

KSqtpie
on 1/9/12 2:07 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Looks like I will be investing in a vacuum sealing product of some sort. Seems like the majority of food is going to get frozen, which is new to me. I always forget about the food I put in the freezer now, but it sounds like I better start being friends with the colder side of my fridge :)

Thanks for the link. I looked it up and it's pretty handy!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views