feel "naked" and fragile since having surgery

sabrina H.
on 1/9/12 11:50 am - NE
I have been very honest about my surgery because where I work thier is no such thing as anonymity. I feel like now since I've been off to have surgery everyone knows about my big "problem" with food. Although my weight was a good indicator that food was an issue - long before I even thought about surgery. It's like people can see right through me into the broken, hopeless part of me that decided to have surgery and I just feel like I'm fragile....l'm afraid to go back to work and cope with everyday things without food and I'm afraid of having to defend my decision as thier have been co-workers who were unsuccessful with the band....AND I know that people don't nearly think about me as much as I probably think they do!! This feeling stuff is hard sometimes!!
SW=227 CW=195.8 GW=130
preop -10 month 1 -21.2
weight in wednesdays!

maxie1
on 1/9/12 12:10 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

You are going to be terrific.. you did this for better health reasons.. Don't think negative you can do this...

susan.

susan                                                                                                
MargeAD
on 1/9/12 12:14 pm - CA
Today was my first day back at work. The only comments I received were about how great I looked. Hold your head up, you did this for you and your health. You have done a good thing!

ruggie
on 1/9/12 12:31 pm - Sacramento, CA
 But you don't have to defend your decision if you don't want to. They can't make you. 

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

sabrina H.
on 1/9/12 12:40 pm - NE
You mean I may have some power in this whole deal....I'm only a victim if I choose to be????Darn it :) 
SW=227 CW=195.8 GW=130
preop -10 month 1 -21.2
weight in wednesdays!

ruggie
on 1/9/12 1:03 pm - Sacramento, CA
 Always the case!  Instead of being a victim, decide to be confident and ROCK IT!  

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

tillmadd
on 1/9/12 1:03 pm - WI
 In order for insurance to approve this procedure it must be deemed medically necessary...
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

KSqtpie
on 1/9/12 1:30 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12

I would argue that this decision isn't made by the "broken, hopeless parts" of us....it's made by the courageous self-loving parts of us that knows we are worth more than we are allowing ourselves to be.  I feel by being obese it's like I am always wearing a scarlet letter--my "issues" are manifested physically, so there's nowhere to hide except behind my own obesity (and nice BIG LB clothes). So for years, I have ignored my weight and acted like it wasn't a problem. Well, it is ...and I can either continue to pretend to hide or I can face it and find supportive people to surround myself with while doing it.  

You will be triumphant in this journey and all the pain, physically and emotionally, will build strength and character. Good luck!

hollykim
on 1/10/12 6:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM Pacific Time, KSqtpie wrote:

I would argue that this decision isn't made by the "broken, hopeless parts" of us....it's made by the courageous self-loving parts of us that knows we are worth more than we are allowing ourselves to be.  I feel by being obese it's like I am always wearing a scarlet letter--my "issues" are manifested physically, so there's nowhere to hide except behind my own obesity (and nice BIG LB clothes). So for years, I have ignored my weight and acted like it wasn't a problem. Well, it is ...and I can either continue to pretend to hide or I can face it and find supportive people to surround myself with while doing it.  

You will be triumphant in this journey and all the pain, physically and emotionally, will build strength and character. Good luck!

Oh hell to the yes...LIKE!!!!!! This is SOOOOOOO right! Rock on!

katier825
on 1/9/12 6:31 pm
When I first had the surgery, I only told a couple of co-workers. Only one had anything negative to say, but she was concerned because someone she knew had serious complications from the bypass. Everyone else was very supportive once I brought it out in the open. Now that you've had the surgery, you have much more control over your health. As you lose the weight, your self-confidence will skyrocket and you won't feel so fragile. It's your life, your health. That's the bottom line...not what others think. Hang in there!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views