Losing my hair

Lissette M.
on 1/13/12 2:29 am - NJ
VSG on 08/11/11 with
I had surgery in August and I have noticed severe hair loss since late October. I am afraid of losing all my hair!! Any recommendations?

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 2:59 am - Anoka, MN
VSG on 07/12/12
 I'm still in the pre-approved stage, for my ins. (Cigna) I have to do the 6 mos of dietitian supervised diet. My dietitian was very clear that I need to make super sure that I get all mny protein and take my vitamins, otherwise I would start losing my hair. 

I'm not assuming anything, but have you been careful about eating enough protein? I was told 60-80 grams a day. 
Assilem7779
on 1/13/12 3:07 am
VSG on 01/03/12
 My biggest fear is to lose my hair so I started taking vitamin E and biotin...I am a hairdresser so I do scalp manipulation where I get a bristle brush and brush from the scalpe down for about 10 min before I shower (your scalpe gets real oily) but it promotes blood flo..I also use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner once a week to open up the pores on my scalp to get rid of product build up....hope that helps..
   HW-257 PRE-OP-246 CW-223 GOAL-140                 
JAN-26lbs FEB-      MAR-     APR-     MAY-     JUN-     JULY-     AUG-     SEPT-     OCT-     NOV-     DEC-            
RubyTues
on 1/13/12 3:17 am - Canada
Silica gel

kanga003
on 1/13/12 3:18 am
I am, so it seems, the worst case senario on this board... but I've lost at least 75% of my hair... I actually have had to upgrade from a partial hair system to a full wig, but I haven't updated my Pics yet... but you can see the earlier part of my journey on my profile...

I guess my point is that there is hope even in worst case...I am soooo lucky to have my insurance cover them, but they are available and I have never had anyone be able to tell...

And 99% of people never get this bad!!!
sianabob
on 1/13/12 3:32 am
I literally lost half my hair.. I had a bald spot on one side of my forehead.. thank goodness I *HAD* thick hair.. Now I have some awesome regrowth thats about 3 inches all over the place.. I would lose my hair all over again to be where I am today though..

so dont fret, it will come back

ib40
on 1/13/12 3:48 am
I had my surgery a month after yours. I began losing my hair in Month 3 as well. I have a lot of hair but it is rather fine. It is also long and blonde and shows up everywhere. Since I wear of lot of black, it is constantly all over me. I am taking my vitamins, but I have been on very low-calorie diets (VLCDs) before, and the same thing occurred. Once your weight loss stabilizes, it should start to grow back. I'm going to try the Nioxin shampoo that someone reocommended. It certainly can't make it worse! Good luck to you!

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/13/12 4:55 am
Losing hair after surgery is a normal condition and there's nothing I know of that will prevent it.  Telogen effluvium (google it for more info).

Getting in protein and fluids is always a good idea and could prevent the hair loss from being total loss.  However, most surgery patients lose hair post op.

There may be things that will help stimulate new growth post op, such as biotin or nioxin or vit E or other things like that.  I never much bought into the idea based on people's personal experiences shared here, so I am not doing anything different than normal.

I started losing mine about 2.5 months post op and am still losing, though not as much.  And I have a bunch of new growth.

So bottom line is that it's probably going to happen.  Not much you can do about it.  Roll with the punches!  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/12 8:01 am
Getting enough protein-yes
Vitamins- yes
Losing hair -yes.

The shock of surgery and rapid weight loss can force your body to experience telegen effluvium, which is the type of hair loss we are experiencing and it is temporary according to all the info I have read, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to control how your body will react.

Just roll with and try not to freak, it will grow back.
Lissette M.
on 1/13/12 8:40 am - NJ
VSG on 08/11/11 with
Thanks all for the comments and advice!!! I probably do need to increase my protein intake. I am pretty good with my vitamins. I am going to try some of these things out and hopefully will get some new hair growth.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views