Wound started draining (kinda icky)

MargeAD
on 1/13/12 11:46 am - CA
 Hi all,

Well, last night just before I went to bed I noticed that the wound on my right side hurt.  When I touched it, there was a lump underneath it.  I thought it might be a small hernia so I pressed it to try to reduce it.  Fluid came out of my wound (sorry if this is icky)  I also realized that the wound was slightly red.  I drained as much out as possible then washed it and put a bandage on it for overnight.  I also emailed my surgeon. 

This morning I called my surgeon and left a message then went to work.  Luckily, I work at a hospital.  I found a local surgeon and he looked at it and gave me a prescription for antibiotics.  My surgeon called me later (I had surgery in Mexico) and asked me to describe the wound and also take pictures and send them.  The surgeon also said that the antibiotics were good and offered additional assistance if I needed it.  - Also said that it was probably a "seroma"

So . . .I am on the mend thanks to 2 docs.

Traci M.
on 1/13/12 11:53 am - CT
VSG on 03/13/12
Glad to hear everything is good

Traci

retrieverlady
on 1/13/12 10:44 pm - AZ
 Warm compresses every 4-6 hours should help with that.
MargeAD
on 1/14/12 1:16 am - CA
I am also doing the compresses. Thanks.

roxann
on 1/14/12 2:49 pm - chanute, KS
i just had surgery on dec 18. and after i had my stitches removed i had 2 insicions re open it was iky too. i email my surgeon in mexico also.. he told me to wash them twice daily and cover them with guaze. i was really worried because they was sore and not healing, but i made sure i washed the twice daily and covered them and they healed...so im sure yours is similar and they will heal...good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 371 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 412 views