a Quick 'Hi' and question about exercise

Could_It_Be
on 1/19/12 11:13 pm
Howdy!

It's been ages since I've logged on. Just wanted to pop in and say "hi".

Even after having a tough start (2 months of issues) I am so glad I had my sleeve! This has been the best decision I've ever made for myself!

I've not really exercised so far but know I need to start, so I'm wondering what you all do? How often? How long, etc?

thanks!!

Here's to getting healthier!

VSG on 6/22/11
vacationlover
on 1/19/12 11:42 pm
Could_It_Be
on 1/20/12 12:02 am
 Thanks Vacationlover! You are what I'd call an 'athlete'!!

:)

VSG on 6/22/11
vacationlover
on 1/20/12 2:39 am
Jenny C.
on 1/20/12 12:02 am
Walking is a great place to start! 

I bike to work (about 40 minutes total per day) , but since surgery have also added in a 2 hour ride once a week.  I also do strength training at home--push ups, band-pulls, light weight arm lifts, and lots of core work (planks, crunches, some work with an exercise ball).  My home routine really doesn't take very long, and I've seen great results doing this 2 to 3 times per week.

My surgery program includes exercise counseling with a trainer along with my nutrition visits.   If you're interested in starting some strength training, it might be worth your while to have a visit with a trainer to get you set up and make sure you're doing exercises in a way that won't cause any injury.

julesGA
on 1/20/12 12:05 am - Brunswick, GA
 A few weeks prior to surgery I started working out with a personal trainer.  We do cardo and weight work three days a week.   I try to add in at least one more day of cardio but I don't always make it...I need to get better about that. 

Krazydoglady
on 1/20/12 12:08 am - FL
I take 2/3 mile walks twice daily at work (about 10 minutes, each). I don't really count this as 'exercise' but it serves to clear my head and it's a good habit to get into post-op because we are at additional risk for blood clots for up to a year.

For exercise, I run or do eliptical for 45 minutes  4-5 times a week and I do 2 days of strength training a week. i do hard-core ab work 3x weekly.  Strength training helps you hold onto muscle as you lose weight.  When  you are not hefting around as much body mass, you can start to lose muscle if you're not pro-active.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/20/12 12:21 am
Sleeve Sista!!  Nice to see you again!  Sounds like you are doing great!

After my rough start, I am doing well and loving my sleeve, too.  Exercise didn't really ramp up until month 5 & 6 for me.  Now I do 30-60 minutes of exercise 5-6 times per week.  I really have to mix it up or I get bored easily.  I do volleyball, jogging (I hesitate to call it running because I'm so slow), workout DVDs, walking, core class, yoga class, and zumba. 

It's really helped since the weight loss is slowing down.  I'm determined to get to goal and I know I gotta clamp down to get these last pounds off.  Go us!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Could_It_Be
on 1/20/12 12:35 am
 SleeeeeeeeeeveSIS! 

So great to see you!! You are doing amazing!!! 

I'm like you in that I'm determined to get these last 25# off!! I've been fortunate that it's been fairly easy so far but I want to firm up and get athletic. I just can't seem to get the motivation.
I think I need to just DO IT!!!!!!!

So all your issues resolved??? I feel like a million bucks!

Glad you were here this morning so we can catch up! What else is going on??

VSG on 6/22/11
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/12 12:25 am
I've been walking for months but recently started trying all differnt kinds of classes at my 24 hour fitness.  Yesterday was Body Pump, 1 hr of light weights and cardio in one session.  Today I am feeling the soreness, so I am guessing it was a success.  I prefer weights over straight cardio but I do need to get my cardio everyday.  If you are looking at home I LOVE the Jillian Michaels DVD's.

Start slow no matter what you choose.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views