Cold Feet...

KSqtpie
on 1/30/12 9:22 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
So, I am waiting for approval but today has been a very rough day. I have worked towards this surgery for the past 8 months but so many doubts are flooding my mind. I know in my heart I have never truly given 100% to any diet or excercise routine. I have started and restarted every diet under the sun...but have never stuck with anything long enough to see success. Really, the most weight I have ever lost on my own is 12 lbs. Only 12. So why am I jumping into extreme and irreversible weightloss surgery?? I thought I was ready for this, but I am just having so many doubts. I will feel so stupid backing out now after getting through all the insurance hoops, but I have to figure out my feelings before its too late. Ugh. :/
Mike B.
on 1/30/12 9:30 am
You can always talk to your doctor about delaying the surgery for a period of time, but I would not completely back out until you are 100% sure you don't want it. Trying to restart the process could take forever. Whatever you decide, good luck.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

cbz1815
on 1/30/12 9:36 am
 I understand those feelings and it is good to journal or get counseling and talk them through

I'm like you....I've never lost more than 12 lbs at any time.   Cheated on tons of diets.  I am an emotional eater, diet coke addict and chocoholic.      I had the surgery 10 weeks ago and my whole world has changed for the better.    I spent time preparing for the psychology of this journey but now I'm just living it.    I've lost 38 lbs.   I walk most days.   I keep track of everything I eat on an app and I get support from OH and a group that meets monthly.    I want to eat right and I have to stop.   I can only eat a small amount at a time so it give me a chance to evaluate and make a better food choice the next time if I did less than perfect.    I am SO not perfect but this surgery has given the "edge" the "freedom" the "tool" to FINALLY see success.   Many people are noticing the changes -- in my face, in my walk, in my attitude.   I am glad I did it.
 http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/1002835/tickers/cbz18154ffc4e0ad3061cc9a4a78b5c152e9570.png?1322016825
nikki34
on 1/30/12 9:58 am - Philadelphia, PA
ok this surgery  is not a cure but a tool. like u said u've tried, not your hardest but u did try, and did not succeed so that tells u that u really dont hve much self control over food. Again the surgery is a tool for those of us that lack this kind of control over food.  trust me i lack this control also so i know for a fact that i need this surgery to HELP save my life! at my heaviest pre-pregnancy i was 290..got down to about 230lbs( that took about 7yrs) during pregnancy i got up to 302lbs. and post pregnancy ive gotten down to 289lbs. As u can c its been an uphill battle!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!

If u change Nothing, Nothing will change!!!

CharTake2
on 1/30/12 9:58 am - Olmsted Falls, OH
VSG on 01/16/12
 Good for you!  You said all I was thinking.

2muchgirl4u ~
on 1/30/12 9:49 am
I've been overweight since I was 2 years old. I'll soon be 52. I weighed 166lbs in 6th grade. I've failed many diets. I've done phen-fen, hypnosis, acupuncture, etc...I did lots of research in 2004, and was banded in 2005. I just knew that the band was the only way I could ever control the amount of food I ate. Sadly, I had problems with my band after about 8 weeks. I ended up having the port taken out, then a new one put in. Still had no restriction. My band had now eroded. It was removed in 2008. 3 wasted years I wondered why I was such a failure. I suffered really bad depression. It was quite awhile b4 I accepted that the band failed me, not the other way around. I started researching VSG, and decided to give it a try. My nerves got the best of me too, as I waited for that approval call. I have had more restriction in 9 weeks, than I ever did with the band. My depression is lifting. My physical problems are improving too. At this point, I am extremely happy with my decision. Hubby is hoping Medicare will pay for VSGs this summer, then maybe he can join me. There are days it is really hard, but my results so far, are wort h it. I wish I had done it in 2008! Hang in there, Chick! I know you will make the decision that is right for you
CharTake2
on 1/30/12 10:01 am - Olmsted Falls, OH
VSG on 01/16/12
 My surgery was two weeks ago and have lost 18# in January.  I am glad I did this.  I wanted the best health I can from age 56.7 months on.  You?
(deactivated member)
on 1/30/12 10:19 am
Your feelings are VERY NORMAL! If you weren't worried or concerned, then I'd worry about you. What you are proposing to do is radical. You're planning on removing about 85% of your stomach. Yes, it's scary. My doctor said pretty  much those words to me. My panic started the day I got my date. I'd had my approval for a couple months, but no date. Once I got the date - TURMOIL! I found peace pretty quickly when I reminded my freaked out self why I wanted to to WLS in the first place. Then I just went with it.

You are hardly jumping to an extreme. Like you said, you've tried every diet and never been successful. Sounds to me like you came to the VSG as the result of years of trying and failing. You are choosing a WLS that will hedge your bet toward success. YOU will have to do the work. YOU will have to commit to giving this journey your all. Being scared is normal. Maybe if you find someone to talk with about your fears your fears will be calmed.

Just realize that you will have to work at this and it isn't always easy. It's far easier than any diet in some ways, yet so much harder in others. This surgery will force you to deal with some eating issues whether you want to or not. Cheating is not an option early out because cheating could be life threatening. There are rules for a reason. Be prepared and if you decide to go ahead with your WLS know that for so many of us it's the best thing we've ever done for ourselves. I have no regrets and would do it all again in a heartbeat!
italiana1980
on 1/30/12 10:20 am - kenilworth, NJ
VSG on 01/25/12
 i had a lot of cold feet about a few weeks prior it took me almost 1 yrs to get approval etc but just sit back and think if you are ready to make that change and commitment. nothing is easy it seems like people in society think the wls is the easy way out but its not it seems like more work for me so far then any diet i have ever tried.  i have had alot of sucess in the past but can never stick to it long term so i always gain the weight and then some back.  i was very paranoid of the surugry itself i had confidence in my surgeon but just bad experiences in the past with losing loved ones in the hospital so it made me paranoid. but thankfully after the initial surgury thurs its been smooth sailing i barely feel like ive had anyting done to me thank god. i guess the real test will be once i am eating more the clear liquid. but best of luck w/e you do decide to do. 
jessicae
on 1/30/12 10:24 am
 i think that's one of the reasons i ran towards the surgery.  becuase i knew i wouldn't have a choice BUT to comply 100%.  i still am surprised i did it.  i was against surgery a year prior, but seeing a close friend go through RNY and weight loss and then pregnancy, made me change my mind and just do it.  after trying weigh****chers, jenny craig, nutri system, byetta injections, metformin, etc... for 20 + years, this was the only thing that would work for me.  i know weigh what i did 18 years ago when i was 18 years old.  it truly is  nothing short of a miracle.  

you just need to keep putting one foot in front of the other and take small steps toward achieving your goal of health.  good luck to you!

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views