collagen protein vs whey protein

Therapat
on 2/4/12 11:49 am - CA

I am in the Kaiser Options  program (preparing for VSG) and in my last class the nutritionist told us we couldn't use a product with collagan protein, we had to use 100% whey protein. But the advertisments on this website  for products like New Whey say they are good for after bariatric surgery. AND the proten  with collagen is more convenient and  it tastes better so I was wondering if any else was told not to use it. The nutritionist said it was not properly absorbed.

ruggie
on 2/4/12 11:57 am - Sacramento, CA
Protein derived from collagen is just as absorbed as protein from whey.

The reason you have to stay away from collagen is that it's not a complete protein source.  That means that it lacks amino acids that your body needs and cannot make.  Whey is a complete source and has all the amino acids your body cannot synthesize.

That's why babies can live off mother's milk - it's a complete source (whey protein is made from milk).  

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Elaine2
on 2/4/12 12:09 pm - Atlanta, GA
Here's 2 good post written by members re the protein shots. I keep them bookmarked since the question comes up regularly.
I would quibble with your statement that it tastes better--------just goes to show that protein shakes and tastes are very subjective. There's lots of better options out there for you.

Good luck!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4440059/PSA-Protein-Bu llets-or-Shots-Why-you-dont-want-them/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4423770/The-Problem-wi th-Liquid-Collagen-Protein/

SassyItalian
on 2/4/12 2:28 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Listen to your NUT. Collagen protein shots are throwing money down the drain. Go to the provided links.

And if we listened to everything the advertisements said id be cutting my hair with a Flowbie, while wearing a pair of "stylish" pajama jeans. Advertisements say whatever the heck they want!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

kahlana
on 2/4/12 2:47 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Aw the pajama jeans aren't stylish? Dang.. i was gonna order like 3 pairs to wear to the disco!

My Blog My Facebook

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views