Took a fall down my stairs...

KSqtpie
on 2/11/12 9:31 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
What a really really crappy weekend. On Thursday night, I was running down my stairs in my socks and ended up catching the very edge of a step which caused me to slide down about 2 steps and then I landed really hard on my tailbone. It all happened so fast, I couldn't brace my fall. Well, the pain was so bad that I took myself to the ER ( I live alone and couldn't reach anyone, so that was my only option besides calling an ambulance...and I am too stubborn for that). Well, long story short they did an MRI and I have 2 bulging discs in my low back. I have been in the hospital since Thursday night and am in extreme pain. My left leg is completely numb and aches if I try to move it. I can't walk on my own and can't sit upright without the nerves in my leg shooting pain all the way to my toes. I am miserable and all I can think about is how I have to now reschedule my sleeve surgery because there is no way I am going to compound that pain and discomfort with this pain...that would be cruel and unusual punishment. I'm also bummed because I have to use my PTO hours from work for this injury and I probably wont have any leftover for the 2 weeks I planned on taking for my surgery. Sorry to complain so much, but this is just my luck! FML.
karenbarb
on 2/11/12 9:45 pm - Roselle, NJ
Revision on 01/18/12
OMG...SO SORRY....HANG IN THERE ! AND FEEL BETTER.....

IT IS A NEVERENDING BATTLE, THAT I WILL NOT LOSE

landdnurse2
on 2/11/12 10:02 pm, edited 2/11/12 10:04 pm - Midwest City, OK
Call your surgeon and let them decide if you should reschedule your surgery. Are you seeing a neurosurgeon for your bulging discs?
They neurosurgeon may think that if you lose weight your recovery may be easier. Let the physicians make the decision.

HW 321 (9/08) SW 312 (1/11)  Pre-op 280 (11/1) Surgery 270 (12/11)
happyteacher
on 2/11/12 10:07 pm
 Ok, that totally counts as a crappy weekend.  I am so sorry you are going through this, and I wish you a speedy recovery.  Sending good karma your way!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jessicae
on 2/11/12 10:26 pm
 oh wow!  sorry you're going through this right now.  sending positive healing thoughts your way. 

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

Jackie00
on 2/11/12 10:35 pm
I have hardwood stairs in my place and had that same type of fall with my infant baby in my arms, thank goodness I fell backwards and the baby was on my chest. My daughter was home and quickly was there to grab.the baby off of me. I try and wear slippers around now that have a grip on them, socks are dangerous on hardwood.

It would be great if they would do the surgery while you are in the hospital and recovering from your fall. But you need to be able to move after your surgery. It will probably take a few days for the inflammation to go down. Take it easy the meantime.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Faye56
on 2/11/12 11:06 pm
VSG on 07/19/11 with
Oh...I hate that for you! I will certainly say a prayer for your healing and for the right decision on having your sleeve surgery! Hang in there and try and keep your spirits up.

((((HUGS))))

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

MelissaMommyto5
on 2/12/12 4:48 am
VSG on 02/16/12
OUCH OUCH & OOOUUUCCCHHH!  I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you.  I totally get your anxiety over rescheduling, having time off from work, etc.  That's exactly where my brain would have gone too, but I agree with the poster who said to talk to the doctors.  You have to know your limitations of course, but they may be able to get the back pain under control soon enough to either not have to reschedule your sleeve OR to not move it by much. 

I hurt my left knee (again) Friday evening & was having the same types of panic...I can't have anti-inflamatories at this point (without rescheduling), I need to be able to walk after surgery (which didn't seem possible within hours of the onset of pain), and I saw my whole plan falling apart (she says with dramatic flare).  I seriously sat down & made a list of what I was going to do, starting with 1) praying! Then I went to 'ice, ice, ice'. etc.  It definately helped my mindset.  Now I KNOW that a back injury is not the same as my knee (probably a torn meniscus getting caught & tugged on again), but the principle is the same.  Figure out the plan of action that puts the Ulitimate Healer in place to determine your course & make a list of the things you can do to make things better!  I'll be praying for you too.

southbay311
on 2/12/12 6:56 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
What a lousy accident, I feel so bad for you. I know first hand about cancelling a surgical date right before it happens, it is a major let down.That is exactly how I felt when the insurance denied my sleeve request. I felt I had come so far with the pre op requirements and then the major disappointment and letdown.

Resubmitted for the RNY and a quick reschedule and my surgery is now set for 2/22. Your fall will be a delay and not a cancellation, Once you recover to a point of being able to move and you will be back on the surgical schedule. You will have more time to wrap you brain around the diet plan and feel more secure in your mind to do this. You had a few doubts several days ago and wanted some extra time, and how you have it. It's just a few days or couple of weeks delay. All will be good as soon as your mind and BODY are ready.

Hang in there, relax and realize it's just a temporary delay...all will be well soon.

Take care
nance
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views