Finding What Works

Shea_G
on 2/14/12 9:00 pm - KY
I'm a little confused. I'm 2 months out today. I've been keeping my calories between 600-800 carbs around 40-50 and protein around 65-75. Well I've noticed that if I go over my calories and hit around 1000, the next day I'm down a pound. That has happened twice this week. Is my body trying to tell me that I need to be eating more? Or is it the mix up of low calorie days with high calorie days that's bringing on the drop in pounds? I'm trying to find what works for my body.  
Ms. Poker Face
on 2/14/12 9:49 pm
It's definitely a process to figure out what works best.  It could be real or coincidence that your weight drops when you eat more.  It'll take trial and error to fully understand.  The physiology of what happens in our bodies when we are losing or gaining weight is very complex and everyone is so individual.  Hormones, salt induced water retention, exercise, TOM all can affect our weight by several pounds.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/12 10:11 pm
Well you could experiment if you are feeling brave.  I've certainly seen some other posters on here note that sometimes you can break a stall by eating higher carb/higher calorie for a day and then going back to plan.  I think the idea is to knock your metabolism out of starvation mode. 

On a body building site they set up their calorie shifting on a 2 week schedule with 2 weeks on the low side and then 2 weeks with an extra 200 calories a day.

There is another plan that cycles throughout the week where you set your calories for the week and on some days eat more, on others less, but hit the weekly total.

Some vary the carbs too.

tobehealthy36
on 2/14/12 11:48 pm - fort hood, TX
 I had my sleeve done Dec 5th 2011, I notice when I get my calories up around 900 I lose better as well. I feel as long as you don't go overboard and keep a eye on making sure your eating healthy calories, fats , carbs and keep your exercise up we can't really go wrong. It is crazy the math and science to losing weight ! They key in losing weight and keeping it off is learning to eat healthy and change our lifestyles . I tell myself daily this is no race this is my NEW life style choice. 
(deactivated member)
on 2/15/12 12:01 am
Actually, what you are experiencing is very real.  By alternating your calories, you are forcing your body to lose faster in THE SHORT RUN.  What you will find is that increasing calories in the long run will slow down your weight loss and even breaking a stall by increasing calories will mean that you lose less in the long run than if you just kept your calories the same and let the stall break naturally.  
Shea_G
on 2/15/12 12:09 am - KY
Thanks for all of the replys. I've heard as well to have some higher calorie days still with healthier foods and then go right back to plan to jump kick the weight loss. I just dont want to set myself up for failure later like Elina mentioned. I just want to figure out what works best for me and be healthy in the long run.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views