Homemade soup question

Chalk
on 2/26/12 10:22 am - TN
VSG on 01/09/12

I had my 6 weeks checkup week and in a discussion with the nutritionist, I was telling her about a cabbage, tomato, chicken soup that I had made. She said that soups were not on the list of approved foods until maintenance stage.

The reason she gave was that it was a mixture of fluids and solid foods and that it could result in a leak.

I have never heard or read this. Has anyone else?

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

lillypond...
on 2/26/12 10:29 am
wow never heard of that one, I eat homemade soup all the time, never had any trouble with it, Your soup sounds delicious, please can I have the recipe thank you :)
KathyA999
on 2/26/12 10:34 am
Well, if a mixture of fluids and solids could cause a leak, you wouldn't have to wait all the way till maintenance.  You could wait 2-3 months, I think by then the staple line is pretty much healed up.

I think the problem is that fluids and solids in a single food like soup has the same effect as drinking while eating.  It doesn't necessarily "wash" the food into the intestines (like it would with the RNY), but with a VSG, more solid food causes the pylorus to remain closed longer, keeping the food in the stomach longer, and creating a longer sense of satiety.  Research Frisco's posts on this, they're pretty informative.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/12 10:55 am
I have absolutely no idea how soup can cause a leak.  To be honest, that sounds really silly to me and I just don't see it.  I do understand the idea that since soup is both solid and liquid it breaks the no drinking while eating rule.  The point of the rule is not to avoid leaks but to stay full longer.

During my third to sixth months, I lived on my Green Chicken soup precisely because it reduced my hunger.  It has only about 65 calories in a cup and is full of protein, and low on fat and carbs.  I am convinced it helped me get to goal.  I asked my doctor about it at the time and he was fine with it and told me to keep doing what worked for me.  The soup would eliminate hunger for about two hours, at 65 cals., that was more than worth it for me.  I would not choose to eat a soup that was cream based or full of calories and carbs.
lteyelizzy
on 2/26/12 11:06 am
Elina...

Curious, what is your green chicken soup?
(deactivated member)
on 2/26/12 11:15 am
The Green Chicken soup and The Middle Eastern soup, are on my profile.  I credit this type of soup with really helping me during the tougher times.  I have always had a pot of this soup in my refrigerator because I know that I can reach for it at any time without feeling I am cheating on my food plan.  Even today, there is a pot of my  Middle Eastern soup ready for me if I need it. It keeps beautifully for almost a full week.
SouthernmostStar
on 2/26/12 11:35 am
VSG on 01/25/12
Soups are definitely on my list of approved foods, particularly in the pureed stage.  (I just double-checked my guidelines from the hospital.

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chalk
on 2/26/12 12:28 pm - TN
VSG on 01/09/12

Elina,

I'm so glad you posted because I have your Green Chicken soup recipe saved and plan to make it soon. I thought of you on the way home from my appointment and wanted to hear from you because you have done so well and offer such great advice.

I was puzzled by my nutritionist's response. I have her email address and plan ask her for more specific information. I did check my surgeon's plan and and sure enough, only broth is recommended. "All other soups are discouraged. These are not a good source of protein"

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/12 12:22 am
What can I tell you?  Every plan is different.  My soups are a fantastic source of protein, but I would not eat cream based soups.  My doctor was just fine with me eating broth based soups and they kept me from being hungry.  I can only offer you my experience as a guide.  I can honestly say that I just don't see the down side of eating 60-65 calories of mostly protein and veggies.  It helped me keep my calories down and still helps me to this day.  I eat soups all Winter and salads in the Summer.  I didn't do salads too much in the losing phase because of the need to get the protein in, but now, that my capacity is larger, I have added in healthy salads.  Also, I want to remind you that I only started eating my soups around the third months.  At that point I had no difficulty getting my protein in.  My husband came up with the recipes to maximize my nutrition needs.  He wanted me to get in more veggies and this was an ideal way to do it.  If your doctor is against it, I guess, try something else, but I can honestly tell you that it was a life savior for me.  I also want to add that my doctor agrees that dense, lean protein is best to close the pyloric valve however, he makes exception for broth based soups.  Look, the only real issue is weather or not this food keeps you full and provides protein.  For me, the answer was yes to both questions and the low calorie and carbs allowed me to have a little more flexibility in other foods. 
Believinginlsa
on 2/28/12 1:00 am
 Would you be willing to share your recipe for middle eastern soup and any others you find helpful/wonderful? I would so appreciate. Thanks
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 76 views