Went to consult today thought I wanted RNY but Dr. rather do sleeve

aled1223
on 2/28/12 7:37 am
I am new to this site.  I went for my first consult today. My BMI is 35 and I have diabetes.  I wear like 14/16 but qualify.  I have been researching RYN not sleeve even though I new about it.  Do you have any regrets.  I you being successfull with the sleeve.  My doctor told me he is seeing just as significant results.  I am 42 and he said ryn has concerns since you have absorption issues with vitamins and calcium could cause some problems in older age.  Just need some input.  I know no one can make this decision but me.  I have been overweight my whole life.  I am successful at losing weight.  Done it many times!  Gain it back every time.  I am not at my highest weight.  I hope not to get back to that. 
bigtigger1010
on 2/28/12 7:55 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
i am still pre-op... but i've been on the boards every day and i think i've only seen one complaint... however, there is a board specifically for regrets & when i looked i saw alot of banders and some rny... i personally wasnt comfortable with the rny because of the malabsorption issues and i know a few ppl that have had problems with the band so I decided the sleeve was best for me... the ppl here on this boards r extremely helpful... good luck on ur journey!

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

VeeBee
on 2/28/12 9:17 am - OH
VSG on 01/23/12
Five years ago I was going to have RNY but decided against it at the time.  When I decided to revisit WLS this past summer, I had decided to go with the lapband because I was not comfortable with the malabsorption aspect of the RNY, nor did I want to deal with the dumping syndrome.  At the time I didn't even know the sleeve was available.  Well, the more I read about the sleeve, the more convinced that that was the right procedure for my cir****tances.  There have been recent studies showing that the sleeve is or nearly as effective as the RNY in regards to amount of weight that can be lost and many of the vets on this board are proof of that. Just read everything you can about the sleeve and then go with what feels right to you.
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/12 9:22 am
You have one smart doctor.  With your BMI and history of being able to lose weight easily, you are a perfect candidate for the sleeve.  I really can't think of a single thing that I regret about getting mine.  Take a look at my profile and you will see how different my life became in just a short 6.5 months. Research this, but I am pretty sure, your doctor is steering you in a good direction.
Kathy G.
on 2/28/12 9:36 am - IL
I am 51 was @ 39 BMI and my pcp introduced me to the idea of the sleeve.  However the surgeon said he would do either the sleeve or ryn based on BMI. He did say if I had diabetes, he would have been more inclined to lean toward the ryn.  He was very clear about the risks with both procedures.  There were several issues that  made my decision:   1.  I already take a number of medications that may not ever be eliminated (migraines).   2.  If I loose the weight too quickly, I may not change my lifestyle and habits completely.   3.  A little extra fear of being able to stretch an already slightly larger pouch isn't a horrible incentive. 
Plus, the surgeon said if you do the sleeve and it doesn't work the ryn is still an option.  If you do the ryn, there currently isn't another option.  Kinda like getting married knowing divorce is an option, but true.

I am not quite 3 wks post op and have had very little pain or nauseau.  My worst complaint is that I have loose stools.  But I am loosing 3-4 lbs per wk and slowing gaining physical strength.  Just this past Saturday I walked 2.5 miles at a decent pace.  And, I still could function the rest of the day.  So, whatever you choose, it will be right for you and you will be on your way to the new and improved 2012 along with the rest of us!
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 209 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 293 views