Post-Op- confused about how to get the required protein

Mary M.
on 3/6/12 8:50 am - MD

Okay, I hope I can explain this right...I mix my protein drink and after a few sips I feel full.   Do I stop drinking then, or give myself the full 30 minutes to finish the drink?
If I stop drinking as soon as I feel full then I am only getting a fraction of the protein that made up my drink, but if I continue to sip my drink over 30 minutes I will get the full grams of protein but,  am I over filling my stomach by not stopping after I first felt full?

Also, where is the heartburn coming from?  I'm taking my PPI but today I can't seem to get rid of it.  I didn't have this problem prior to the surgery.

Thanks for any suggestions!

hollykim
on 3/6/12 9:05 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
You should stop when you feel full and allow the shake to be absorbed,BUT< you should continue to drink as much of it as possible for the 30 min. Stop at a couple of sips but then take a couple more sips and stop then a couple more for the entire 30 min.

You might need a different PPI,a larger dose,need to take it twice a day or need a different one altogether. This is a question for your surgeon as he is the one who will have to make the change.

Your sleeve is still making the same amount of acid that was required of your bigger stomach. It hasn't gotten the message tht most of itself is gone yet. That leaves excess acid sloshing arounf in ther with nothing to do.

Your body will brek down your stored fat for energy  and that is the object of the game. get the protein you can but foicus more on staying hydrated.

Good luck

Mary M.
on 3/6/12 9:17 am - MD
Thank you soooo much.  That is exactly what I needed to know.

Have a great evening!!!!
ND2BTHN
on 3/6/12 9:20 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I agree with the previous post. A good rule to remember is to not drink more than 2 oz's in a 15 min period. Especially since a protein shakes is denser than water, so you will feel full quicker if you drink more than 2 oz's at a time. So continue sipping, but pause after a few sips every few minutes. So early out an 8 oz drink should take about an hour to finish. 

You can also try adding Gaviscon for the acid reflux, along with your PPI.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Mary M.
on 3/6/12 10:10 am - MD
Thank you for your suggestions.  I'm using Tums right now but I'll look into the Gaviscon.
Pooch2
on 3/6/12 9:24 am
Mary, when were you sleeved?   Your  probably swollen still.  Water it down, that will help.  I had to switch to Premier Protein pre made drinks to get the 30grams in 11 oz of liquid, mine were way too thick early on...  Also Isopure  mixed with crystal light, might not cause you so much acid reflux...  I would take your PPI half an hour before you take your  drink.... Are you lactose intollerant and or using milk in your drink?  Hopefully others will have more for you, good luck... 
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
Mary M.
on 3/6/12 10:07 am - MD

My surgery was February 23rd.   I will try taking my PPI as you suggested.  I am using milk diluted with some water for now.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Georgie Mayhem
on 3/6/12 10:25 am - New Zealand
hi  Mary i was sleeved on the 18th Feb this year, I have found by having half a shake twice daily works better for me. also i use water as way easier to drink, doesnt overfill me so much

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views