Going to Disney need suggestions

duranie512
on 3/11/12 1:34 am - OH
Hi going to Disney World next month.  Does anyone have any suggestionson how to get to eat cheaper??  I don't think they give considerations to people that has had weight loss surgery.
Thanks

MyOwnSunshine
on 3/11/12 1:43 am
I was just at Disneyland and I was surprised and impressed at how many healthy choices they had everywhere as far as eating and drinking choices.  There were as many stands selling fruit and Vitamin Water 0 as those selling cotton candy and sodas.  I did not eat "cheaper" than I would have if I had not been sleeved, but I did find plenty of healthy choices.

I have come to accept that I will not get the same "value" for the "volume" that I eat post-sleeve as compared to pre-op.  What I mean is that I am okay with paying the same amount for a meal that I would have eaten pre-op, and then only eating a portion of it.  Sometimes, I can get a meal and then take it home and eat it for several other meals, which is a value, but sometimes not.  I'm okay with that. 

When you eat at Disney, you are paying for the experience and ambiance, not for the food.  Unless you have someone that will share or split things with you, just suck it up, order the best choice, and throw what you don't eat away.  I actually took my daughter to 2 character dining experiences -- both expensive buffets.  Did we get our money's worth food wise?  Nope.  But, we did get to see and take pictures with a bunch of characters who interacted with my daughter one on one.  That's what I paid for, not the measly amount of food that I can eat now.  Disney is not and never will be a bargain, but it is a whole lot of fun.  Just remember that you're paying for the fun, and not the actual food. 

That being said, I did pack a big baggie of snacks in my bag -- turkey jerky, babybel cheese, protein bars, nuts, etc. so I didn't have to buy food every 3 hours. 
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Regina T.
on 3/11/12 1:48 am - Snohomish, WA
VSG on 03/19/12
 What a great response!  Thank you for the tidbit about value for the money.  As a self porclaimed bargain hunter, I needed to hear this pre-op, so that I wont feel so guilty with food costs post-op.  thanks again!

Regina.  Ready to live again.

duranie512
on 3/11/12 1:50 am - OH
Thanks Robin, your right I am going for the experiencce vs. the food.  I have reservations for my 3 year old to do a character dinner.  I just didn't want to pay for an expensive buffet, but I do want to be able to experience it with her.  So I will suck it up and just pick the healthiest choices that I can. 

MyOwnSunshine
on 3/11/12 3:12 am
I was in "treat and splurge" mode while I was on vacation (and had a 5 pound drop afterwards), so when I went to the dinner buffet, I filled a plate with 5 desserts and took one bite of each of them.  The creme brule was worth the price of the buffet!  I really stuck to the yummy proteins and a few bites of veggies during the meal.  During breakfast, I took a whole bunch of crap, too, and took one bite of everything.  Shrug -- I guess that's one benefit to buffets. 

One NSV that hit me during the buffets was a total lack of shame and guilt.  I really noticed (with empathy and non-judgement) all the overweight moms who were there, filling plate after plate with food yet looking miserable at the same time, and I realized that I used to be that mom.  I was embarrassed every time I went up to the buffet and grabbed and  filled my plate.  It felt terrible inside, even though the food was great and I loved eating to stuffed.  I realized that I would much rather be the skinny mom who fills one plate with healthy food and then enjoys a reasonable amount of dessert than live the way I used to live. 
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
lynnbabeny
on 3/11/12 3:27 am - VT
VSG on 07/02/12
You can find menus from almost any food venue at WDW at Allearsnet.com- it's really helpful for getting ideas on what's available so you can plan where you want to go. I also hear that most places are pretty accomodating for dietary needs when you let them know you have special needs. 
kimbethin
on 3/11/12 3:40 am - CA
I agree with looking at menus before your vacation.  I would add the step of booking reservations online through the Disney website so you will not have a long wait or be turned away from the restaurants you choose.  They sell water all trough the park so you can keep up with your fluids and you may need extra fluid if it is really hot.  Carry your fave protein bars in your backpack and snacks for the kids so you aren't spending money on snacks and can spend a little extra for healthier meals. That way you can get a healthy snack while waiting in line.  You can also take protein powder with you for a shake in the hotel in the morning to keep up with your protein numbers.  I like a table service restaurant once a day so the whole family can recarge aand relax a little bit.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
AmberK
on 3/11/12 6:21 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 So exciting reading all these post and great ideas! I have an 8 yr. old son and a 2 1/2 year old son. We want to take them to WDW to but want to wait till the baby is 5, which means our oldest will be 11. I think he will still love it, and I am so glad I had the VSG to help me enjoy the vacation instead of the food. 
goingforit1
on 3/11/12 7:29 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
I would just take a couple bites of hubby's or kids' burger or chicken or whatever and take cheese sticks, jerky, or some other snack in my backpack. It kills me to throw away food, especially EXPENSIVE food. Can you keep some deli meats in the hotel fridge and then just take a couple of meat/cheese roll ups in your back to snack on when you need to?
sleeved2bfree
on 3/11/12 4:13 pm
VSG on 02/08/12
 I went to Disneyland just a few weeks after surgery.I did not dare ride anything that would jossle me around, but I figured the walking would be good.  I packed a bag with the things I was allowed to eat at the time, added some ice packs and put most of it in a locker( available on main street****pt at least one item of food on me at all times. I basically alternated cheese, tuna and protien drinks throughout the day. For the sit down meal we ate in California adventure, at the winery restaurant. I ordered soup and asked if they could strain it for me, which they did. I wanted fish, but no one would split it with me, the price was high, and they did not do half orders. It was really a head thing since a I had tuna in my bag. 

Now that I can eat a larger variety of food, the cabob place right across from the Jungle cruise will be my go-to. One cabob of grilled chicken or veggies will be more than enough, but not a huge waste of food. 

Since we have season passes, we always try to pack food to save money, but I would usually splurge on the one sit down meal of the day. Drinking some broth really put things in perspective. I had all the food I needed with me. I did not need to spend a lot of money on a taste experience. While the kids were on rides, I spent some time thinking about all the money I have wasted buying food my body does not need. More than not need, food that damages my body. As if the calories or cost don't matter if you have never ordered that particular dish before, or at that restaurant before, or with that view....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views