Big Mistake for fist food post-op

grisaille
on 3/12/12 12:45 pm - NC
Well, I followed my dietician's advice and had a scrambled egg as my first meal this afternoon.  She told me to use Pam spray instead of any other fat so I dragged mine out of the cupboard and was soooo looking forward to that egg. 

Well, it smelled odd and tasted AWFUL - I kept it down but thought, oh great, this is what I have heard about online that your tastes can change post-op and I had loved scrambled eggs.

So my husband gets this look on his face and says "Just how old is that Pam?"  Ummmmm, it expired August 2011 so I'm thinking now it was rancid.  We usually cook our eggs in a little tiny amount of butter mixed with olive oil so I hadn't used the Pam in a long, long time.

In a day or two, Ill try another egg but wow, was I looking forward to that egg.  lol

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
AmberK
on 3/12/12 12:51 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 I've done that before and ruined entire meals! Hahah
frisco
on 3/12/12 1:00 pm

Try beating a touch of milk to your egg.....more soft and fluffy......

Regular oil is fine...........dab a little on a paper towel and wipe the bottom of the pan.....trace amount of fat..... I use Smart Balance for just about everything except where EVOO is preferred.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

grisaille
on 3/12/12 3:25 pm - NC
frisco -

I used to use milk and it was great but over the years have grown lactose-intolerant so now I use a splash of water just to emulsify the egg a little - not as good as milk but better than plain.

I think I might just try the oil smeared on the pan trick - I have never like the vapors from the Pam which is probably why I stopped using it.  Of course, all we have is olive oil and EVOO but I think I would prefer a more neutral oil so I might just get some Smart Balance.

Thanks  

Carol

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/12 8:09 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Carol,

A good milk alternative (if you are not allergic!) is Almond Breeze (or Blue Diamond, samesame) unsweetened Almond Milk or unsweetened Almond Coconut blend they have now.  the almond/coconut blend has a thicker mouth feel, like whole milk.  Even the unsweetened vanilla can be used in savory dishes, since you do not taste vanilla until you sweeten it.

And too, if egg sits heavy in your belly, know that it happens with a lot of folks and just hold off on trying it so soon.  some folks have no egg issues and some folks have a lot.  Its strange and random. :}
Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 3/12/12 3:13 pm - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
Sorry to hear that. My first egg was tonight too and it was heavenly. DELICIOUS! My 74-year-old mama cooked mine for me so maybe that's why it tasted so good.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

grisaille
on 3/12/12 3:20 pm - NC
I'll bet she didn't use rancid Pam to cook it in !!  

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 3/12/12 3:29 pm - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
On March 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM Pacific Time, grisaille wrote:
I'll bet she didn't use rancid Pam to cook it in !!  

No indeed!! When I was coming home, she said she'd "lay another one for me" tomorrow.  ROFL!  She says she wishes she could cook more for me than "just an egg."  Since she's alone all the time now, she loves cooking for me. 

My daddy just died in November and since then, I've spent every single night with my mama watching Netflix.  I go over there around 5 and come home around 10:30 or so. They were married for 58 years and knew each other since they were about 9 years old.  She's so lonely and it does us both good to spend time together.  
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

grisaille
on 3/12/12 3:46 pm - NC
you are a good daughter . . . and she sounds like a wonderful mom.  My mom has been gone 8 years and she used to love to cook for me . . .well, really cook for anyone. 

I do still have my dad but he is in TX and I am in NC but I cherish the time we spend together.  And I love that with our cell phones we can talk almost every day. . . . I am old enough to remember when long distance was EXPENSIVE 

Love your avatar, BTW 

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 3/12/12 3:48 pm, edited 3/12/12 3:49 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
Thank you. I don't know what I'd do without her. She's my rock, my best friend, my everything.

Take advantage of every moment with you daddy, even if it is over the phone. As you and I both know, they go too quickly for us.

Thanks for the compliment about my avatar. I love color. :) Since getting Internet YEARS ago (back when long distance was so expensive LOL!) I've had rainbosomething as my username.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views