Bodpod results/changing ticker/calling goal? xpost

jengo1971
on 3/12/12 10:29 pm
I'm at 26.2% body fat.  Down 3% from October.  I'm barely 5'1" and weighed in yesterday at 141. I'll admit this # was d/t a three day binge (Fri/Sat/Sun).  Not proud just being honest.  On Friday morning my scale read 136 so I believe my body fat % is lower than that.

On my ticker I have 125.  This is a dream wt before I had a body comp test done.  I really don't believe it's attainable.  For one my scale hasn't moved since October.  And at 19% body fat my wt would still be at 131!

What do you think?

Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
frisco
on 3/12/12 10:47 pm

Hey Jennifer,

Congrats on taking the steps..... I'm really going to be interested in what the peeps that know about this stuff says......

I'm wanting to learn why one 5'1'' person could weigh 105 and another 150 and both deemed in a similar range. My sophimoric thinking says the range would like 20lbs.

Thanks again for putting it out there......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

jengo1971
on 3/12/12 11:05 pm
Hi Frisco.  It's difficult for me to wrap my brain around this as well.  I compare myself to Elina since we are the same height.  As you know she's a tiny 105 pounds.  That's how much lean muscle mass I have!  So, I will NEVER be that size.  This reality is somewhat difficult for me to grasp.  The proof is in the test though.

The trainer who performed my bodpod mentioned this to me.....she weighed in around 140 pounds, her sister 113 pounds.  She (the trainer)  had less body fat than her sister.  Have you ever heard the term "skinny fat?" 

They also had a picture of two men on a scale.  Same height and same weight.  The man on the left body builder and full of muscles.  The man on the right morbidly obese.  Really put it into perspective for me.  To actually see a model of what five pounds of fat looks like compared to five pounds of muscle.....wow!

Jennifer

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/12 12:09 am, edited 3/13/12 12:21 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
That's how much lean muscle mass I have!  So, I will NEVER be that size. 

Weight girlie.  You will never be that *weight* is what you mean.  You could be that weight, if you are willing to lose your muscle tissue and bone density.  Also if you have skin removed, you may well get closer.

Size - size is ALSO largely determined by our bone *structure* not density.   I have lady friends who are MUCH thinner (by thinner, I mean lighter on the scale, I do not know their bcomp) than I am but cannot wear a size 6 pant like I can, because their HIPS are wider than mine.  Not their fattyhips, their actual BONES.  They could be 3 years dead and not be able to wear 6s because their BONE STRUCTURE does not allow for that. 

These women are also ladies who have long torsos and weentzy waists.  I am built like a ruler.  I will ONLY have a waist multiple inches smaller than my hips if I build out a monster booty.  A MONSTER BOOTY!! 

I do not have enough ROOM between my bottom ribs and the top of my hip BONES to make an indentation, see?  Its not about not being thin enough, I am not BUILT to be that shape.  Never was!  never will be (unless I undergo some sort of serious rib removal surgical intervention).

Understanding our build also helps us understand what is attainable in a realistic fashion or not so much!
(deactivated member)
on 3/13/12 12:02 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Kind of like Cindy, she is nearly 6 feet tall.  What she weighs/likes to weigh is how much I, at 5 foot 6, weigh just muscles, innards, bones, and skin, without all my luscious monster breast tissue (ha!!) .

Bones are different densities, muscle mass is higher, lower, even ethnicity is going to change weights because some ethnicities have a much denser bone structure than others, just like different ethnicities carry more dense fat storage in other places than others.

Its neatO mosquito, think I.
nandmsmom
on 3/12/12 11:14 pm - Bridgewater, MA
VSG on 01/10/12
It has to do with your frame and your muscle mass.  Your frame, which is your bone structure, is something that you can't do anything about.  Some of us are small framed, with tiny little wrists, but there are plenty of us that have bigger bone structure.  I am a medium to large framed person.  As a result, I will never be able to get to the low end of my weight category.  From experience, I know that I actually look better about 5-10 pounds over what they say is my ideal weight. 

Your muscle mass also plays into the difference.  Muscle weighs more than fat.  Plain and simple.  Exercise plays into our muscle mass, but like your bone structure, it is also largely due to genetics.  That is why there is such a large variance in the recommended weights for people.  Even with the large variance, there are still some of us that just simply shouldn't have our weight within the parameters set by the insurance companies. 

As hard as it is, we all need to pay more attention to what our bodies need, instead of worrying about what the number on the scale is.  Good for you for doing the bodpod.  I would call it goal and work at maintaining.  Congrats!

HW 290   SW 272  CW  234
slimpickins5280
on 3/13/12 12:12 am, edited 3/13/12 12:18 am - CO
 "Muscle weighs more than fat. Plain and simple."

This statement although well intended is false. A pound of anything weighs just that - a pound.

A pound of feathers weighs a pound. A pound of marbles weighs a pound.

The difference is volume. Fat has more volume, meaning it takes more fat to make a pound. Muscle is more dense which means it takes less of it to make a pound.

OP - I'm 5'3" (okay 5'2.5") and my range is similar to yours. I have a lot of muscle and I will be lucky to make it to 130 - my personal goal. My surgeon feels that because of my exercise and strength training, I would do great at 150.

I think that our goal weight should be a moving target. I've left my goal weight at 130 for now, but it will probably change to around 140.

My Lean Muscle Mass before surgery was 113 which makes my goal of 130, nearly impossible unless I want to lose muscle, which I don't. Muscle is good in so many ways for our bodies that it's important to keep what we have.

I think you need to look outside the "weight" box and go on how you feel and what weight you can easily maintain without driving yourself crazy. IMO, being skinny fat isn't healthy and my goal is to be heathly first.

Too many people feel like they've failed if they don't reach their scale goal, but I don't see how that could be. You are porbably the healthiest you've been in a very long time and that goal should count higher than what the scale says, imo.

Congrats on your fantastic work!

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

jengo1971
on 3/13/12 4:43 am
You are so right about "looking outside the weight box."  It has been difficult for me. I've been hanging around here for nearly two years and the "number" (or making GOAL, which is a number) is what appears to make one a success.  KWIM?  Thanks for the kind words!

Jennifer

jengo1971
on 3/13/12 4:17 am

Thanks for your reply.  Good luck on your journey!

Jennifer

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/12 11:59 pm, edited 3/13/12 12:10 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
What do you think about your results girlie?  I was 16% at last check.  next check is next month.

I went from 19% to 16% in 6 months continuing to work out and eat like I had been.  (I gained 8 pounds of MUSCLE and lost 3 pounds of FAT) My weight stayed the same, how I fit in my clothes changes CONTINUOUSLY over time.

What about if you just call "change in focus"  instead of "goal" if calling goal at a weight you are not grooving at is getting you down? 

The longer you change your body composition by lifting, the more your body is going to change but you might not SEE it like you do "weight loss."  You need a different gauge than the scale when your body composition is what you are changing.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views