Holy Cow! Eating is so boring! It's a chore

Jamie J.
on 3/18/12 5:33 am - MI
VSG on 03/15/12
 I never thought I would be saying this, and perhaps it is just becasue I am 3 days out, but eating and drinking is a chore.   No more mindless eating.  It is harder than I anticipated to get in the water and protein.  sip sjip sip

Marabell
on 3/18/12 5:38 am
VSG on 06/07/12
Yeah, that's what I think it is going to be like...(still pre-op). It will be Eat To Live, no longer Live To Eat ........LOL

how much water do you need to get in daily? and is that in addition to the protein shakes?

hwag5149
on 3/18/12 5:44 am
Just wait until you have to start eating food and you have to schedule it around all the liquids and the food isn't all the wonderful food you've spent 500 years eating. 3+ months and I hate eating. I don't like the taste of the food that's on plan so a lot of times I'd rather just not eat. On top of that, it takes like 2 minutes to eat so all of the emotional pleasure that came with eating is gone and so that takes away from the food tremendously. You may find that some of your old faves don't taste good after surgery :( that's always depressing too.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/12 7:23 am, edited 3/18/12 7:23 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
in a way i'm glad you said that.  even though it sounds depressing, it's like you are starting over with food and will really help in the long run *i know it will for me* to think of food as fuel for my body and not something i can use to make myself feel better, therefore making me find better ways to cope with stress and emotions.  if that makes sense. 
hwag5149
on 3/18/12 8:14 am
You will find better ways to cope with stress and emotions if you WORK HARD. This is has been the most difficult part for me. I've recently had to start taking anxiety meds again and am SERIOUSLY considering seeing a therapist. I cry every single day over many different things. I don't cry because I can't have a hamburger. I could give two ****s about that, but I have absolutely no escape from my emotions and I didn't realize to what extent that I used to run and hide behind pizza, burritos, etc.

It doesn't automatically force you to find ways to cope. That is why many people encounter transfer addictions... and not just alcohol. Many people also experience extreme depression (me),  and so many other things. It's much different than I expected. The first 2+ months I thought I was wonderful though. I felt so happy... overly happy almost and then it just hit me one day and here I am and even if I had 2 oz of the most amazing food in the world, it wouldn't do **** for covering my emotions because the volume just isn't enough.

firefly2000
on 3/18/12 9:54 am - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12
 hwag5149,

I am sorry that you are feeling down, but please know that you are taking a step in the right direction. Admitting to yourself that you may need to see a therapist is HUGE! I have been on anti -depression meds off and on for years. This year I wa**** the hardest with anxiety. I would have not done as well if I had not seen my therapist weekly! I would be lying if I said that I am now strong enough to head into this newest journey called WLS alone! Together with the support of family, friends, (especially OH friends!) and my therapist I feel that I CAN do this!

Please know that I am here for you,even though I have not had surgery yet, I understand how alone you can feel when you are depressed. If you want to talk more, you can email me [email protected]
Lesley

hwag5149
on 3/18/12 9:58 am
Thank you dear

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/12 4:52 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
i feel for you, let me tell you.  i do now what you used to do and i can't even imagine how it must feel when you CANNOT stuff yourself to feel better.  i have to stick **** in my mouth constantly (smoking, eating, chewing, etc).  i have this creepy oral fixation and i don't know what i'm going to do once i cant eat or smoke anymore.  maybe i'll start gnawing on wood. 

therapist is good.  i am going to see one before i go (i'm self pay so i don't have all the mandatory stuff to do that most have to for insurance).  i think you will do good in the end though cuz you are honest and don't try to make it sound like this whole thing should be so damn easy and that you are perfect and never have a problem.  for people like me that's priceless because i know exactly what i'm in for and it's tough no doubt. 
firefly2000
on 3/18/12 5:52 am - NJ
VSG on 03/20/12
 Keep up the great work!
doggz109
on 3/18/12 7:23 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Get used to it. :)
Most Active