Can you walk me through a day of eating

skinniwithin
on 4/2/12 3:00 am
 So I see most are on 600-800 calories per day.  Considering that I "think" that's what I eat just for a snack (YIKES!!) I am wondering how you get all your nutritional requirements.

I am seeing that it's a high protein, low carb diet but can I get a better idea of exactly what that would be.

Also, I am a very picky eater.  I avoid if possible all GMO foods, don't eat meat, although I do eat free pasture chicken and wild caught fish.  I eat a fair amount of vegetables and fruit but I LOVE sugar or so it seems.  And Chocolate.  And bakery goods.  Chocolate and junk food has probably contrubuted 90% to my weight issues.

Tracasa
on 4/2/12 3:24 am
Here is my day.
B: Protein drink
S: Baby bell cheese or yogurt
L: 2-3 oz. chicken or fish
S: Edamame
D: 2-3 oz. fish or chicken with some veggies
S: Protein drink plus plenty of water all day
 This is what your day MIGHT look like and it seems to me you have not looked into all the information on here regarding what actually this surgery is about! This is a tool not a magic
bullet besides protein you need vitamins and fluids lots. Educate yourself first on this whole
process then decide. Not trying to be mean but this is life changing not a crash diet! :)

hwag5149
on 4/2/12 3:25 am
You haven't had surgery yet?

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

elaine-is-ready
on 4/2/12 3:53 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 HI.
I'm only 2 weeks post-op so I'm on a liquid diet still. Protein shakes are my mainstay.  I have a 28 gram shake for breakfast, for example, and happily, chocolate flavoring is very common, and usually pretty good.  
Some broth with about 6 grams of protein for lunch, and another high protein shake for dinner.
(Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are kind of broad terms, since it might take me 2-4 hours to finish a large shake.)  Generally filling in at least 64 oz of water in any shape or form between protein shakes.  My day usually runs about 900-1000 calories, since I juice fruits and vegetables as well.
You can look online at the Bariatric Pantry, for example, to see their protein shakes, such as Matrix 2.0, Nectar, and Chike! (which may or may not come from them). They usually have 4-5 carb grams.
I've only had head hunger, the rest of the time, I have to remind myself I need to drink. 
Drinking includes sugar free vitamin water, Mio, Crystal Lite, SF popsicles, SF gelatin, and more broth. 

In general, once people start eating, it seems fish or chicken are the base of a meal (2-3 oz) then add vegetables. Not drinking within 30 minutes of meals, by the way, helps the stomach stay full longer, and decreases desire and ability to eat more at a time, and is very important for various other reasons.

Sugar, breads, rice, alcohol and generally anything "processed" or "white carbs" need to be avoided until maintenance is reached, and then only eaten is very small quantities.  The nice thing is, that if you do your protein first, very small quantities are all that CAN be eaten.

I've learned a lot from people here on the OH, and look forward to putting what I've learned into practice as my diet expands.  

Thanks to everyone who posts.  You rock!

HW= 305        pre-op wt loss= 35 lbs
VSG date: 3/19/12
Niasim998
on 4/2/12 10:49 am
Wow. This is great information for even me. I'm only four days out and I just love all the information sharing, especially about the different foods to try.

Thanks!
INgirl
on 4/2/12 4:58 am, edited 4/2/12 4:59 am
I'm about a year out- and a happy carnivore. 

I do, feel, and function best on a low-cal high protein moderate fat diet (nothing low-fat unless I like it better). "Diet" meaning, this is the way I intend and prefer to eat. I have stuck with the same basic intake from about mo 5 onwards, prior- my cals were lower, protein and carbs have always stayed about the same level. Right now, this is really a satisfying eating style. As I get into maintenance I'm going to have to adjust it upwards a bit to stop the losing, unless my body calls it before I do!

B: unflavored protein in coffee or protein shake
B2: HB egg
Snack: string cheese
L: 2oz chicken leg meat with drippings to dip it in
S: chia seed drink: chia seeds in Crystal Light- good fiber, fun to drink :)
D: 2ish oz leftover venison bacon meatloaf w/ cheddar melted on top & low-carb ketsup
S: if cals/carbs allows and I feel like it- part of a protein bar, wafer or more cheese or meat nibbles..

I drink over 100oz fluids a day. I have pickles or kimchi whenever I feel like it,- same for any veggie snacks, though I don't snack often, just not interested unless I get a taste for something. This is one of the first things I'll be adding in maintenance, a nice veggie salad with rich dressing and maybe some nuts to get in more healthy fats & cals.

This all usually adds up to 700-800cals, 20-30carbs (including 8-10g fiber) and 70+ protein. Some days I wind up lower, some higher - but neither extreme happens often, and it's usually during social events that it goes higher.

Believe it or not, I do not feel deprived eating like this. 

roundater
on 4/2/12 6:12 am - Lincoln, NE
B - Protein shake - 440 calories - 70 grams protein
L - 1 cuo no fat cottage cheese - 28 grams protein
D - ditto
S - cheese stick or beef jerky

i used salads to drop 28 lbs prior to surgery
Rich Sonderegger

edelu
on 4/2/12 6:32 am - los angeles, CA
Check out the "Whatcha eatin' today"threads they post every day and sleevers list their eating for that day.
tripmom02
on 4/2/12 6:47 am - NJ
I am in maintenance (sort of), and this is what my day will look like - 

Breakfast - 8 oz coffee, 8 ozs 2% milk (although I usually use Almond, just don't have any right now), 1 scoop of Nectar Protein and a shot of sugar free hazelnut syrup (total 225 cals, 11 carbs, 31 grams protein) 

Lunch - 2 ozs of cream cheese, 10 stuffed olives, 3 slices thick cut bacon (390 cals, 4 carbs, 16 grams of protein) 

Dinner - 2 ozs pork loin shredded, 2 tbsp sweet baby rays, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (267 cals, 18 carbs, 16 protein) 

Snack - for after my evening workout, 8 ozs almond milk, 1 scoop nectar protein (140 cals, 1 carb, 24 grams of protein). 

Total - 1,042 cals, 34 carbs, 87 grams of protein. 

Tonight is a running night, so I will probably have to add another protien shake after so I can net about 600 cals.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Pooch2
on 4/2/12 7:00 am
Here is my day... (dinner is cooked but not eaten yet)

B; cup coffee, Premier Proteins shake
L; 3.8 ounces of Talapia, 2.5 ounces of roasted asperagus (before cooking)
D; Chicken Thigh and drumstick, 2.5 oz of roasted mix veggies
S; Watermellon

Already had 68 oz of water after lunch and half of my vitaims

Calories;   537
Protein;       84
Carbs;         29
Fats;           10

HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 69 views