Think I found a possible (strange) slider food

miciaRN
on 4/9/12 8:01 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
I don't post new posts on here often, but I thought this was a little interesting and wanted to know whether anyone else has experienced this. Yesterday was my one month surgiversary (Yay!) and I went to my mother's for Easter dinner. Knowing there was going to be lots of delicious food I wasn't going to eat, I already planned that I would have half a deviled egg and maybe a couple bites of ham or chicken, thinking I wouldn't have room for anything else. Well I was sharing a plate with my son so I cut about a 6 oz piece of ham, thinking I would eat about 1 or 2 oz and he would eat most of the rest. Well...while I was mindlessly eating while talking to my mom, I noticed that he ended up eating very little of it and I ate the rest! Our portions were pretty much the reverse of what I thought they would be. I couldn't believe I was able to eat that much (dense) meat in one sitting. The most I had ever had was 2 oz of really moist meatloaf and I was surprised by that at the time. And what was most interesting to me was that I could have eaten more. I didn't, but I certainly felt like I could have. I didn't have that feeling I normally get when I feel satisfied while eating since the surgery. To a degree, I felt like I hadn't really eaten anything. Then I started getting nervous thinking I messed up my restriction with one meal (irrational, I know), but I was brought back to reality when I ate half a deviled egg about three or four hours later and boom there was the restriction again. I couldn't even finish the half egg. I can already see it is going to be strange getting to know this new tummy of mine. 

Jackie00
on 4/9/12 8:51 am
Interesting, I don't think ham is very dense but I could be wrong. I will be seeing what others have to say. I haven't really introduced it into my diet yet.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

miciaRN
on 4/9/12 8:58 am, edited 4/8/12 9:01 pm - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
Well,I guess dense was probably a poor word. It's not like chicken or anything. I guess solid would be a more appropriate word. I just meant it wasn't mushy ham lol. But I think even if it were, the amount I was able to eat was weird to me, it was 4oz or more. I haven't been able to eat more than 2oz of anything at one time except liquids and cottage cheese.

Jamie_45
on 4/9/12 9:08 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
I find ham very easy to eat also while I can only eat 1 oz of chicken or beef.  Actually when I was just 1 month out I ate a lot of thin sliced deli ham or turkey and made roll ups.  Rolled 1 oz of ham around 2 slices of avocado and topped with 1 tb. of salsa and found it very filling.  You're doing great... keep up the good work.  Remember to weigh and measure everything you eat.  I find myself taking my little scales everywhere I go!

miciaRN
on 4/9/12 9:18 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
 That's a good idea, thanks for the tip. I wasn't even thinking about taking mine with me when I went over there yesterday, but I certainly could (and should) have. And that is another really strange aspect of this, I cant really stomach the sliced deli ham. I had one slice about three days ago and it was like a stone. Because of that, I kind of didn't think I would be able to really eat my mom's ham, but the way she makes it is so good I had to try it lol. 

bunnymom
on 4/9/12 9:20 am, edited 4/9/12 9:20 am
Our sleeves are strange little creatures. Some days I feel like I can eat like my old self, other days I eat like a sick little bird. Fortunately, my sick-little-bird days outnumber my eat-like-a-T-REX days.
Bunnymom            
Jackie00
on 4/9/12 9:39 am
I agree with how different the sleeve can be each day, I do like the deli slices and I try different ones every now and then but basically I follow a boring menu plan that is very similiar day in and day out always starting with egg for breakfast, chicken, shrimp or beef for lunch (which I make like a stir fry with a few veggies in it to start introducing them lightly into my meals) and about the same for supper. I definitely need a man that can cook good for me and spicen my life up lol I mean my food. I was so use to doing turkey dinners, boiled dinners etc... large meals. I still find I am over cooking and having to freeze lots which is ok cause I use the stuff up in my lunches to work etc... I just find sometimes food is boring and just not getting any satisfaction out of eating it anymore which is good I guess for the long run.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

miciaRN
on 4/9/12 9:47 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
 I feel the exact same way. As a matter of fact, that ham was only one of two meals I actually enjoyed, the other was the meatloaf. And that is the reason I have made a mental note to only eat those things every blue moon. I don't really think I want to start enjoying my meals just yet lol. I kind of like the fact that eating is now more of chore than a pleasure because it helps to keep me in check. 

miciaRN
on 4/9/12 9:48 am, edited 4/8/12 9:49 pm - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
Lol Bunnymom, yes I can definitely see that happening to me.
Jamie_45
on 4/9/12 10:17 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
Try a couple of recipes from Eggface... my two favs still today are the Ricotta Bake and the Mexican Beef and Bean Bake.  You can make it and freeze leftovers for many meals and they're both yummy!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views