I BOUGHT THE WRONG THING!

MichelleChoinski
on 4/11/12 5:17 am - NY
I've been seeing alot of posts on not losing weight, stalls and protein bars etc.

I just bought Kind Plus bars and didn't do my research.  They have 15 G carbs.  I assume that is alot for a protein bar? 
My Dr never put me on a calorie or carb restriction but only told me to get 60-80 G of protein a day.  I have to tell you that just started happening Monday.  I've had a tough recovery.

Questions-
If I eat them am I going to really hinder my weight loss?

What is your favorite bar that is low in carbs?

ruggie
on 4/11/12 5:25 am - Sacramento, CA
I (and a lot of other people) love the Quest bars.

They don't have tons of sugar or sugar alcohols (ugh) or glycerin. 

They actually have a ton of fiber too, and taste pretty decent I have to say.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

emelar
on 4/11/12 5:28 am - TX
I don't know if 15 carbs is too much for a protein bar, but it's not enough protein for the calories!  I use Quest bars, which are even higher in carbs, but the carbs are mostly fiber, but 20 g of protein for around 170 calories.

Be warned, protein bars can be a slippery slope for some people.  I use them primarily when I'm pressed for time or travelling and need something easy to carry.
AmberK
on 4/11/12 10:10 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 When you eat one, do you subtract the carbs and fiber for a carb. count or do you count all the carbs in it? 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

emelar
on 4/11/12 11:47 am - TX
 Well, I don't bother to count net carbs. I count them all. But, myfitnesspal tracks fiber, so I can see at a glance how many of my daily carbs are fiber. I watch carbs, but I'm not super restrictive about them. 
MizzEvil
on 4/11/12 5:42 am, edited 4/11/12 5:43 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12

The All Natural line of the Quest Bars were my favorite pre-op. I haven't eaten solids yet post-op... so not sure if my taste has changed. Cinnamon Bun, Coconut Cashew, PB... were my favs!

I have read a post by someone who said he couldn't do protein bars because they were sliders for him. Some people can only eat 1/2 a bar at a time. Just depends on you. Goodluck!

thin1soon
on 4/11/12 6:19 am
Why are you eating protein bars?  I would suggest only using them as a last resort, when you can't get any other pure protein in.  Much better to have some turkey, chicken, cheese, etc.  They are full of carbs and fat and usually NOT enough protein.  Just my two cents. . . I lost 114 pounds in 7 months and never ate a bar til maintenance.
thin1soon  TN

Pre-surgery weight 11/6/08-253
Post surgery (12 wks.) 2/3/09-185
68 pounds lost

MizzEvil
on 4/11/12 8:28 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
Uhm... who said I was eating them post-op?!? I said I tried them PRE-OP! If you read what I wrote... I'm not even on solids to eat turkey, chicken or even the evil protein bar.

edelu
on 4/11/12 9:52 am - los angeles, CA
kind bars are not considered protein bars at all.  sure most have nuts and seeds but they are not meal replacement either.  I'd return them and get what you need.
MichelleChoinski
on 4/12/12 12:16 am - NY
I wanted to try protein bars because I needed something to "chew"  I am having a real tough time getting any meat down but hamburger.  I had complications during surgery.  My stomach was twisted and turned on top of itself so I am still recovery of sorts. 
I thought the bars might have been a good option.  Oh Well I guess the kiddos and hubby will have to eat them :-)
Thanks for the advice all!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views