has any VSG'r gone vegan successfully?

Laney B.
on 4/27/12 11:20 pm
 i'm intereested in veganism, i always go back and forth about it all, but now that i have had the vsg, i wonder how plausible it is/// any vegans out there? hmmmm ?? :)
felinemommy
on 4/27/12 11:41 pm - NH
Now at over 2.5 years out, I have been moving toward vegitarianism (don't think I want to go completely vegan.) While it would require vigilence and planning, I do think that further out post-op, it can be done.

I do have less restriction especially when eating less dense softer foods (my fav:  roasted veggies!) so I am able to eat a bit more quantity in order to get enough nutruients.

I would have never entertained the thought of vegitarianism for myself pre-op.  Well philosophically I did, but couldn't have managed in my old reality.  Now I'm satisfied and healthy without needing to eat meat.  It feels great!  I still haven't committed to NEVER eating animal protein because I do still like the taste, I just find that I don't need/want to eat it frequently.

I'm pretty sure there are a few old timers that have gone in the same direction.  As I said, it requires planning and vigilence in order to get in the full nutritional balance, but it's a great way to live mindfully and healthfully!

Good luck! (I didn't look at how far out you are, but I would definitely wait until you are out of the weight loss phase!)

LilySlim - (TZ0U)

Maintain daily activity levels and practice clean eating........still battling some unhealthy behaviors!

Laney B.
on 4/28/12 2:40 am
Hi!! thanks so much!! I probably wouldn't go all the way vegan myself, more of a eggs and milk included vegetarian, tho that's not really a vegetarian haha, but yeah, i find that MEAT, is actually making my stomach very upset now and i take no pleasure in eating it, where as grains and veggies i'm craving and they seem to sit right... so i'm not sure, but i have somebody on another support group that went vegetarian almost right out of the surgery gate because meat made her sick, and not only has she lost TONS more weight than everybody else in the group, BUT she does seem healthier... so i'm thinking about it, i will see how fruit sits before i make a decision :)
felinemommy
on 4/28/12 4:04 am - NH
If you are still early out, I would strongly suggest you still supplement with protein shakes.

I have and will continue to eat eggs and dairy.  Without those it gets MUCH more difficult to eat a balanced diet, without closely monitoring.

Also if you're early out, meat may just be too dense right now.  You definitely get more in touch with what your body needs after VSG, or at least I did.  I think its good to listen to/and do what works for you!

LilySlim - (TZ0U)

Maintain daily activity levels and practice clean eating........still battling some unhealthy behaviors!

Mom4Jazz
on 4/28/12 5:02 am
I don't think I could do vegan. I depend too much on whey protein. Lacto vegetarian or piscetarian I could easily do. I'm 95% there without even trying.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Laney B.
on 4/28/12 6:31 am
 Hi you guys!! thanks for talking to me about this, i'm like 3 months out, not too far, but yes, trying to listen to my body now that my stomach has sort of normalized... i doubt i would EVER go vegan, coz mostly those peeps look sickly, dairy would keep in, and my whey protein shakes, for sure... maybe even eggs and fish, not sure... and yeah i'm 95% there without even trying too haha, hubby asks me what i want and i say 'broccoli and bran muffins please' lol
Laney B.
on 4/28/12 9:05 am
 just went out for lunch for soup and a ceasar salad, ate the salad, and brought the soup home...  my tummy feels nice, i expected the raw greens to be hard on my stomach, but nope, it's just the meat lol
Laney B.
on 4/28/12 5:57 pm
 just had a carrot for a midnight snack, it honestly feels so good in my sleeve... i'm reading a book on such things right now
AdeanaMarie
on 4/30/12 3:56 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Tried Vegan prior to surgery for health reasons... did good for a month or two.  But not sure if I could go fully vegan post surgery until all my weight loss is done.  I do use a Vegan Protein powder called PlantFusion and I love it.  It is gluten free, dairy free and soy free.  21 grams of protein per scoop.  So I do think it is possible, for me to eventually go vegetarian and possibly vegan... but right now, I just eat way too much dairy.  :0)  Love my greek yogurt!

I say it is worth a try, if it is something you want to research and be diligent about counting your protein intake.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Laney B.
on 4/30/12 4:14 am
 thank you so much!! i'll look into that protein powder!  i have been researching and heard from one source that the protein in vegetables is inaccessible, because it's wrapped in cellulous and can't be digested by our bodies... i'm very concerned about this, but wonder if it's true, and not just anti veggie propoganda lol thanks for your help, will research more :)
Most Active