3 1/2 years after WLS

Suzanne B.
on 5/2/12 1:00 pm - OR

Hi,

3 years and 7 months ago I had weight loss surgery--sleeve. I was so scared that I would gain the weight back--because in the past I always seemed to gain it back. I learned by making a lifestyle change and eating healthy and including exercise that I do keep the weight off.:wub:

I have started to exercise more lately, because I feel so much better when I do exercise. I have learned that those of us that exercise love all kinds of exercise. For me walking has worked. I am 66 and it is something that is easy to do. I purchased something that allows to to track how far I am walking each day. I purchased a NIKEPlus and it comes with a chip that you put in your NIKE shoe--NO you do not feel the chip at all. It is amazing because when I get home from my walk, I plug the NIKEPLUS in the USB port on my computer and it records everything about my walk that Ijust did. It tells me how fast I walked, the calories I burned and how far I walked, what my pace was. What an amazing little device. It only works with NIKE shoes. It was worth the $59.00 I paid for it. It also allows you to set goals for yourself. Today I walked 4.55 miles. I have walked for the last 10 days in a row--even the rain.:D

My point is make the lifestyle change, eat healthy. Do I ever have a desert--sure I do, but only in small amounts and NOT everyday. I have learned to cook differently and healthy too. I love cooking now. If you make the lifestyle change from the very beginning, then it just makes it that much easier to do for the rest of your life.:P

Hugs,

Suzanne
Sleeved 10/28/2008
Lost 105 pounds

Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
rhearob
on 5/2/12 1:03 pm - TN
 Thanks for sharing, congratulations.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Suzanne B.
on 5/2/12 2:33 pm - OR
On May 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM Pacific Time, rhearob wrote:
 Thanks for sharing, congratulations.
 Thanks. I just want others to know they can have success too. Everyone gets there their own way.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
momsy55
on 5/2/12 9:57 pm - ME
Thanks for the inspiration Suzanne!  I'm 8 months out and things are going well.  My fear has been the longer term.  Hearing from you and other vets who are a few years out and continuing to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle, makes me realize that I can too and that gives me great comfort.  Thanks again!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Suzanne B.
on 5/3/12 5:57 am - OR
On May 3, 2012 at 4:57 AM Pacific Time, momsy55 wrote:
Thanks for the inspiration Suzanne!  I'm 8 months out and things are going well.  My fear has been the longer term.  Hearing from you and other vets who are a few years out and continuing to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle, makes me realize that I can too and that gives me great comfort.  Thanks again!
Hi,

Just keep doing all the things you are learning.  I have learned it is easy to slip back into your old habits, and you just have to have a little talk with yourself.  After awhile I learned that is something that I can do for the rest of my life and NEVER feel deprived.

You will get that feeling once you have reached your goal.  I think so many people think that having WLS is the easy way out.  In fact we have to eat healthy, drink our water and exercise too.  It does require work and effort on our part.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Crabadams72
on 5/3/12 12:07 am - Silver Spring, MD
Suzanne
Have you experienced any regain?
Did you stop your weight loss or did it slow on its own, how far out were you when you stopped losing ?
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Suzanne B.
on 5/3/12 6:15 am - OR
On May 3, 2012 at 7:07 AM Pacific Time, Crabadams72 wrote:
Suzanne
Have you experienced any regain?
Did you stop your weight loss or did it slow on its own, how far out were you when you stopped losing ?
Hi,

Great question. Yes, I did last year--we were doing a total kitchen remodel and eating out a lot.  The remodel was from Jan to march 2011. It was a struggle for me to not have a kitchen and it lasted 3 months.  After I got my kitchen back, I could control my food I was eating.  And I have now lost  the 20 pounds that I gained.  I knew exactly how to get it off.  Eat 800 calories a day and exercise.  So I have lost all the weight.

In a way it taught me that I knew how to take the weight off.  The key to eating when you first start is to always write down and track EVERYTHING that goes into our body.  I know it take times, but it is worth the effort.  It was an learning experience for me and it was a good one.

I know without a doubt that I can control my weight.  As a matter fact we went to Europe in Sept 2011 for a month and we saw 10 different countries.  When I got home and got on the scale, I had lost 5 pounds.  I did a LOT of walking when I was there and I ate small amounts of anything I wanted.

My weight loss is controlled by a simple formula.  Calories in calories out.  You will learn just how many calories you can eat and stay at the same weight.  Not a difficult thing to figure out.  I learned when I gained weight that I could lose it too!

I hope that answers all your questions.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Crabadams72
on 5/3/12 9:40 am - Silver Spring, MD
How many months out were you when you stopped losing weight?

Thanks for the info.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Suzanne B.
on 5/3/12 12:03 pm - OR
On May 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM Pacific Time, Crabadams72 wrote:
How many months out were you when you stopped losing weight?

Thanks for the info.
Hi,

It took me 14 months to lose 105 pounds.  But, last year I gained a few pounds last January 2011 and so I put myself back on 800 calories a day and exercised more and lost the weight I gained.  I gained it because we remodeled our entire kitchen and I was without a kitchen for 3 months.  We ate out all the time.

So I always have the ability to lose weight because I know how.  Once you reach your goal.  It is real easy to stop losing weight.  You find out how many calories a day it takes to maintain your goal weight.  It is an each formula.  Calories in and Calorie out.

I hope that helps you.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
bbearsmama
on 5/3/12 8:40 am
RNY on 02/28/13
Thanks for the great advice, Suzanne!! You are always so helpful!

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views