Why can't she just be happy for me

Mrs.Nichole
on 5/2/12 2:06 am - OK
VSG on 03/20/12
 I don't understand why a "friend" would be mad at me for being successful in my weight loss. I truly believe that she is jealous, because I have become the incredible shrinking woman and she is still overweight. But we are adults, not teenage girls arguing over a boy. She told her husband that it hurts her feelings when I talk about how much I am down. Funny thing is, SHE asks me what I'm down to. I told my husband that I just won't even mention weight or food around her, and still she is avoiding me. I don't want to lose my friend. She should be happy that I am no longer diabetic or have high blood pressure. Please somebody give me some insight on what to do. 

HW*260  Day of Surgery *247    CW*140

peeches35
on 5/2/12 2:11 am
VSG on 04/03/12
Yea she jealous if she is your friend she should be happy for you, I will limited my self from her if it was me you need support and if she can not support you as a Friend will maybe you should just let her be.

SO INLOVE WITH MY SELF

TheBiscuit
on 5/2/12 2:14 am - TX
 You're right, she IS jealous. It's not the same kind of jealous we experience as kids, though. You are a constant reminder of how fat and unsuccessful she is. She's not thinking DAMN YOU FOR BEING SKINNY, she's thinking DAMN ME FOR BEING SO FAT. We all know the vicious cycle of self loathing, eating to cope, getting fatter. Just circles on and on. She knows you're losing it for good and she doesn't have the same tool you do to get it off and keep it off. This is all quite depressing for her, I'm sure. Still it does not excuse her from acting that way. These are her own shortcomings, not yours. True friends would be there for you regardless of your size or situation. You must have a heart to heart with her. It may come to blows, be prepared for that. Be prepared to lose her forever. The important thing to realize, however, is that people come and go. Even "best" friends. Surround yourself with those who are truly supportive and come to terms with the reality that nothing is forever. 
VSG: 10-13-2011
SW: 287
CW: 178

anewbeginning2012
on 5/2/12 2:38 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12
  I totally agree Biscuit!! ditto! Real friends would be happy for you...and want to learn from you if she is that unhappy with herself. Surround your self with positive people and you will continue to succeed. She will come around when she is ready to make some changes herself.
seeingmyselfthere
on 5/2/12 2:16 am
VSG on 03/07/12

if she's a valued friend and this is not typical behavior for her - i would definitely reach out to her on a non-weight loss basis.  i would avoid discussing your weight loss or eating habits or anything related to your progress right now.  it may just be hard for her handle the fact that you are not only progressing, but progressing so quickly - and that your sucess in this area is vitrtually guaranteed.  if she's still having to struggle with her own weight, or you guys have always been partners in the battle of the buldge or even feels it's impossible for her to be successful at losing weight it may be hard to support you right now. 

i know it sounds terrible that someone you consider your friend can't get on board with you right now - but it's totally human and REAL.  even some of the folks who appear to be your biggest cheerleader face the same issues - they are just better at stuffing them down. if the friendship is genuine, she'll get over it.  just give her some time.

LunaChic
on 5/2/12 2:21 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with
 I'd like to second Biscuit's response. Talk with her and be prepared for anything. 

If she truly is a friend she will learn to get over it and stop letting her own insecurities affect the friendship you share.  

Im only 3 weeks post-op and have already started to learn who my real friends are.  I've already lost a friend just because she was seriously against me having this surgery and chose to stop talking to me.  It made no sense to me --  you're not talking to me because of what I've decided to do to my own body for the betterment of my health???   Really!?!?!?!?

Hang in there and start to grow thicker skin.  There will be others who will be jealous of your success...  Women can sometimes be the worst in the jealousy department.  Just gotta brush that dirt off your shoulder and keep on walking forward with your journey.  :)

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

MyFitnessPal:  MissLunaChic      (Looking for friends - feel free to add me!)

Soccerref
on 5/2/12 2:24 am
I feel bad for her, she don't know what she is losing. It's happening to me too. My friend is ignoring me & she don't to work out with me anymore. She is keeping her distance away, but life goes on... I just need to strong about it.

SuzanneR
on 5/2/12 3:10 am - Randolph, NJ
My best friend had a gastric bypass in 2002 and lost 140 lbs. She was really struggling with her health and I was very happy for her. We had battled obesity together since we were 14 years old. I was 162 lbs at the time not heavy enough for a procedure and I was a little jealous. I talked about it with other friends and never once acted out to my best friend. I remained loving and supportive and genuinely happy for her. But there were times when I felt jealous or wondered if she would be different ands she was different: she was happier, healther and had no more muscle/bone/back pain.
I hope you can have a heart to heart with your friends, tell her you are working toward being a lot healthier and who you are to her will  not change.

Kevin H.
on 5/2/12 3:57 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Unfortunately, this isn't that rare to hear on here.  You find out real quick after having this done who loves you and who doesn't.  People's marriages break up, best friends disappear forever and you make new ones along the way.  The important thing is to surround yourself with positive people.  Some will come and some will go.  Sad as it is, its just the nature of the beast.

mawmawpenny
on 5/2/12 5:07 am - LA
It's sad to see things like this happen, just don't let her bring you down. Be proud of yourself for what you are accomplishing, this is hard work. Good luck to you.

Penny
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views